Quote Originally Posted by rohrer01 View Post
Sorry, I had to keep things going on this thread. I couldn't start a new one for some reason.

Just wanted you all know I got accepted to start graduate school in the Fall. I have been diagnosed with autosomal dominant mononeuropothy of the median nerve (MNMN). This is related to Charcot Marie Tooth disease. However, taking a look at my genetic screening made me question the severity of my symptoms and that of 80 -90% of my relatives related to my dad have neurologic symptoms...some have scoliosis. Scoliosis is very common among other neurologic problems. I have a variant in my DNA that is unstudied and is in the coding region for a protein that causes a nasty dominant form of CMT. I'm going back to school to study this variant, a single nucleotide polymorphism that results in the switch in an amino acid in this vital protein (for all you fellow science geeks out there). I do not believe that scoliosis is truly ever idiopathic, but caused by some other undetected disease process or gene mutation. Idiopathic just means, "We don't know, and stems from the root word idiot." I do believe that most cases are unique and should be looked at on a case by case basis. I am determined to get to the root of MY family's genetic problem. Not everyone has scoliosis, but enough do to make me hypothesize that it is a variable symptom over a wide range of symptoms that make us suffer. If I'm chasing a red herring, I'll figure that out. I'll try to keep you all updated. I will be taking mostly classes at first until this Covid-19 virus dies down. Please, everyone stay safe and wear your masks.

Rohrer01
Congratulations! I hope the experience is incredibly rewarding.