Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain around rod

Hello All!

I relied on this forum when I was considering surgery, and after recovering. It has been just over 9 years since surgery. I am fused T5-L1.

I had surgery with Dr Errico who is now no longer in NYC. So I am really hesitant to return and find a new doctor. I am curious if you can all help me determine whether or not my issue requires an appt with whoever his replacement is.

I am feeling a radiating pain coming from my top right rod. This is the only part of the rods I can feel from the outside (always have been able to). It’s a very nagging pain. It MAY be muscular but this feels strange. I tried lying on a foam roller to relieve stress in the muscles and I feel that darn rod so much. It’s painful.

I can talk to a PT or my massage therapist. I’ve done it all to maintain back health all this time. But this is the first time I actually feel like an X-ray is in order.

Is it possible for a rod to move? Come out of place and irritate muscles/tissue around it??

Thanks for your help and insight!
    Jamie

Originally posted by JamieAnn View Post
    Hello All!

I relied on this forum when I was considering surgery, and after recovering. It has been just over 9 years since surgery. I am fused T5-L1.

I had surgery with Dr Errico who is now no longer in NYC. So I am really hesitant to return and find a new doctor. I am curious if you can all help me determine whether or not my issue requires an appt with whoever his replacement is.

I am feeling a radiating pain coming from my top right rod. This is the only part of the rods I can feel from the outside (always have been able to). It’s a very nagging pain. It MAY be muscular but this feels strange. I tried lying on a foam roller to relieve stress in the muscles and I feel that darn rod so much. It’s painful.

I can talk to a PT or my massage therapist. I’ve done it all to maintain back health all this time. But this is the first time I actually feel like an X-ray is in order.

Is it possible for a rod to move? Come out of place and irritate muscles/tissue around it??

Thanks for your help and insight!
    Jamie
    Hi Jamie...

It is possible, but I wouldn’t draw that conclusion yet. I think it’s a good idea to see one of Dr Errico’s partners, and have X-rays taken.

Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Jamie, I agree, time to go in and shoot an x-ray.

Pain is an indicator that something is wrong. Its hard to say what it could be....

Let us know what they see....

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I contacted NYU to see who replaced Errico. They put me in with Buckland. Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge about him? Nerve-racking going to a doctor other than Errico!

Comment

Originally posted by JamieAnn View Post
          I contacted NYU to see who replaced Errico. They put me in with Buckland. Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge about him? Nerve-racking going to a doctor other than Errico!
          At this point, it doesn't matter all that much who you'll see, as the importance is getting a diagnosis. If you need surgery, research will be of much more importance. Buckland is Australian, and was educated and trained there.
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
          X