Imaging making me go ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imaging making me go ????

Anyone else have a situation where your curves measure SMALLER laying down for a CT or MRI compared to standing for an X-ray? How could this be?!? Does that mean my curves aren’t sourced in bone issues but instead muscular issues? Would the latter reason mean no need for revision surgery?
    Feb 2003 - Diagnosed C (35) T (45) L (25)
    Dec 2003 - T2-T12 Fusion correcting to C (8), T (14), L (20)
    Oct 2019 - Lumbar curve progressed to 40
    Nov 2019 - Thoracic curve progressed to 31
    June/July 2020 - T10-S1 Fusion with SI fixation correcting to C (8), T (14), L (8)

Originally posted by JScoli91 View Post
    Anyone else have a situation where your curves measure SMALLER laying down for a CT or MRI compared to standing for an X-ray? How could this be?!? Does that mean my curves aren’t sourced in bone issues but instead muscular issues? Would the latter reason mean no need for revision surgery?
    Supine x-rays are supposed to be about 60% of standing. It's just gravity.

Comment

Before my surgeries, I used to fluctuate around 2-1/2" in height between the morning and night time. (With twin 70's.) Age 49.

Laying down gives us a break. You will feel this especially when you get older. Our muscular system is in tension most of the time, simply standing is exercise.

Under General Aesthesia, we really get that break when the muscles release. Surgeons get a really good idea on correction when the muscles are not in play.

A morphine injection also does this. I have come so close to going to the ER (before my surgeries) and begging for a shot. Being knocked out gives you a break. I had this happen after passing a kidney stone years ago. Kidney stones truly are the worst pain when they jam in your ureter. On a 1-10 scale, I rate it a 13 for intensity. Its called renal colic.

You have to have a good reason to get knocked out by injection at the hospital. I dont think large scoliosis curves qualify for this.

It would be great if we had a switch to turn off our muscles. (without meds) Install it in the neck to shut down everything below for sleeping. Just think of how effective bracing could be if this were the case.

Happy New Year everyone...

Ed
      Last edited by titaniumed; 12-31-2019, 07:04 PM.
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hello,

I have a neuromuscular disease that could be a contributor to my scoliosis. I have muscle tension in places like my neck (I get Botox injections for that) and muscle weakness in other places. I have always measured less laying down, too. Like Ed said, it's gravity.

As far as scoliosis being painless...maybe for some people. I think it depends on the individual, the curvature magnitude, your anatomy, etc... I have had SEVERE flare-ups of scoliotic pain and my curves are nowhere near as severe as yours, they just happen to be in a bad place. So you are not alone there. Scoliosis definitely can hurt when muscles and nerves are tweaked by our twisting spines.

Best Regards
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

JScoli91,

My apologies. I must have read another post and put it together with yours in my mind when I replied. You mentioned nothing of pain. I hope you are pain free!
          I was looking at Ed's post. Your curves are similar in magnitude to mine.
          Last edited by rohrer01; 01-14-2020, 06:40 PM.
          Be happy!
          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
          but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
          X