Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to forum - facing 1st revision surgery at 34

Hi,

I want to introduce myself as I am new to the forum. I was fused at age 12 from t2-l4 C-D rods in 1997 and due to degeneration I am facing my first revision surgery and I am nervous. The pain has been debilitating but I have faith that a surgical solution will help. Anyway, thank you for your time.

-Standup2pain

Welcome

Hi StandUp2Pain- Great name- I am facing my 1st surgery at age 63 & pain this year is 8/10 that has spiked to 9/10. So though I haven’t been thru fusion surgery yet I expect to be early 2020. So what is your pain level? I’m assuming you’re about 33? If you don’t mind me asking what is causing the need for revision? I have lived w/ chronic back pain for about 30 years. Besides Scoliosis also have Degenerative Disc Disease all up/down Spine. Basically my spine is a mess- don’t have major curvatures but can’t handle the pain any longer. I would like to see more about the topic of pain. I am a “wuss” when it comes to pain. It seems like most people are just able to take Tylenol for pain but it doesn’t help me at all. Where/ when are you having your revision surgery done (if you don’t mind me say)? Nancy

Comment

Welcome. I found revision surgery easier than the first surgery but I am guessing they are going to extend your fusion to the pelvis. It will be sore but will probably help with your pain. But be aware of will change the way you can bend and move. Make sure you understand what will be done.
      T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
      C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
      T2--T10 fusion 2/11
      C 4-5 fusion 11/14
      Right scapulectomy 6/15
      Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
      To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
      Broken neck 9/28/2018
      Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
      Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
      Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
      Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
      Osteotomy

Comment

That's good advice from jackieg412. For your first surgery your parents made the judgment call, now you have the responsibility. Find out how you will be different after surgery and what the surgery is expected to accomplish. What would happen if you didn't have the surgery (I'm not saying whether or not to have it, just be informed). Some surgeons gloss over this. You could even ask your general practitioner for their opinion about this.
        Don't be nervous about the surgery itself, there's no point worrying. It is a common surgery, lots of people have had it. We were all more fearless at age 12.

Comment

Originally posted by jackieg412 View Post
          Welcome. I found revision surgery easier than the first surgery but I am guessing they are going to extend your fusion to the pelvis. It will be sore but will probably help with your pain. But be aware of will change the way you can bend and move. Make sure you understand what will be done.
          Due to my age the surgeon is going to fuse me down 1 level to l5 and not to pelvis but warned me eventually I would need to be fused to pelvis. He wanted to preserve my mobility for as long as possible. I am coming into it with the mind set of I will eventually be fused to the pelvis. I am just grateful the surgeon recognizes my age and for preserving my mobility as long as possible.

Comment

You might want to investigate tethering. You may or may not be a candidate.
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
              You might want to investigate tethering. You may or may not be a candidate.
              Sharon...

It's thought that most or all tethers will eventually break. If that's the case, it may not make a difference for adolescents and young teens, as the goal is really just to keep the curve from progressing during their growth spurt. However, with adults, a broken tether likely means return of the curve. Also, since tethers allow movement, if one is having surgery because of pain, the tether may not help, as it doesn't restrict movement (or doesn't restrict movement enough).

--Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by Standup2pain View Post
                Due to my age the surgeon is going to fuse me down 1 level to l5 and not to pelvis but warned me eventually I would need to be fused to pelvis. He wanted to preserve my mobility for as long as possible. I am coming into it with the mind set of I will eventually be fused to the pelvis. I am just grateful the surgeon recognizes my age and for preserving my mobility as long as possible.
                Hi...

I think that's a good strategy. It sounds like your surgeon knows what they're doing.

Since your pain is bad, I think surgery is probably a foregone conclusion. It's unfortunate that you're going to have to be fused to L5 now, as you're probably still going to be relatively young when you'll need to have the fusion extended to the sacrum. If you can, after your revision, try to stay active and build your core strength as much as possible. Those things may help delay the eventual.

Best of luck with your surgery.

Regards,
                Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                  Hi...

I think that's a good strategy. It sounds like your surgeon knows what they're doing.

Since your pain is bad, I think surgery is probably a foregone conclusion. It's unfortunate that you're going to have to be fused to L5 now, as you're probably still going to be relatively young when you'll need to have the fusion extended to the sacrum. If you can, after your revision, try to stay active and build your core strength as much as possible. Those things may help delay the eventual.

Best of luck with your surgery.

Regards,
                  Linda

Hi Linda, I sent you a private message. Is there anyway I may speak to you?

Comment

Working...
                  X