No announcement yet.

Full Fusion and Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My spine surgeon was very strict about no treadmills. It leads to tripping and possibly falling. If you are just walking you can adjust your step better. Less risk. Of course once you are healed you can do what you want.
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Comment

Same here. My surgeon had "No Treadmills" in 1/2" BOLD letters

Again, I took another bumpy stop and go local trip in a Toyota Pick up that completely wiped my neck out. My forearm also hurt like the dickens, never had that happen before. The weather has been great, the car rides are wiping me out. In the US, I have a very smooth 1 mile ride to the grocery store, and have not been driving much over the last year.

It is looking like I have to be careful with these car rides from now on.

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Ed, oh those car rides. I avoid all that I can.
        Also the pain down the arm. That is my lasting pain from the broken neck. I think it is impossible to deal with. I will go Thursday for the year follow up to Rush in Chicago. Another long day in the car.
        Also to discuss this wound on my back that is beginning to heal but thought to be a pressure ulcer. If that is so they may need to look at the hardware. It can also be a lack of muscle because of the failed muscle there.
        T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
        C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
        T2--T10 fusion 2/11
        C 4-5 fusion 11/14
        Right scapulectomy 6/15
        Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
        To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
        Broken neck 9/28/2018
        Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
        Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
        Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
        Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
        Osteotomy

Comment

Originally posted by jackieg412 View Post
          Also the pain down the arm. That is my lasting pain from the broken neck.
          Still happening? Its been over a year since your crash.

Its so bizarre to have this pain when you know its not the arm....You can also have more arm and hand pain than neck pain.

Its like sciatica pain, only in the arms.

"In spine we trust" If I had to pick a tattoo for my back, that would be it.....

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
            Its like sciatica pain, only in the arms.
            That's because the proper medical diagnosis is actually radiculopathy for both conditions.
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I had a slipped disc at C6-C7 that was causing nerve pain in my arm a year or two ago and it was excruciating. I could lay on my right side OK, but any other position and it would be so painful. I would wake up screaming in pain in the middle of the night. When we first saw a neurosurgeon my spouse wanted him to operate (I would have gotten an artificial disc because the rest of my spine was OK so I wouldn't need fusion) ASAP because the pain was making *her* miserable, but he wanted to wait a couple of months because *usually* that sort of pain goes away. It started to get better about a month later. I still get mild pain and "crunchiness" down my left arm if I sit too long in the same position.

One medication he prescribed that seemed to work reasonably well was gabapentin.

Comment

Gabapentin/Neurontin

I have been on Gabapentin aka Neurontin for about 11 years. It was prescribed after bi-lateral hip replacement. I don’t recall if it helped in the early stages but now no relief. It was prescribed for neuropathy pain. Hopefully it will help with The Cervical pain.

Comment

Still surviving down here.....dont have the excruciating pain, but still pretty strong. Trying to lay a low as possible.

No more pickup truck rides for me....

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Originally posted by jackieg412 View Post
                    My spine surgeon was very strict about no treadmills. It leads to tripping and possibly falling. If you are just walking you can adjust your step better. Less risk. Of course once you are healed you can do what you want.
                    My visiting physical therapist recommended the treadmill. It's possible my surgeon would have been less enthusiastic about it, but this therapist was from his network.

Exercise is important, helps you heal. I agree that it is riskier to be on a treadmill than to walk when it comes to falling and that falling can be disastrous. But you can reduce the risk by going slow, paying attention (no TV or distractions), and having a treadmill that stops if you lose your footing.

I would risk an occasional treadmill run over no exercise when I have few other options for walking. It's winter and right now there is still snow in my driveway, so that's out.

Comment

Originally posted by Tina_R View Post
                      My visiting physical therapist recommended the treadmill. It's possible my surgeon would have been less enthusiastic about it, but this therapist was from his network.

Exercise is important, helps you heal. I agree that it is riskier to be on a treadmill than to walk when it comes to falling and that falling can be disastrous. But you can reduce the risk by going slow, paying attention (no TV or distractions), and having a treadmill that stops if you lose your footing.

I would risk an occasional treadmill run over no exercise when I have few other options for walking. It's winter and right now there is still snow in my driveway, so that's out.
                      I've always wondered why some surgeons recommend against the treadmill. To me, it seems a lot safer, as long as there are arms on which to hold. While I think that getting outside and experiencing the world is good for recovery, when the weather is less than optimal, I think the treadmill is a great option.
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                        I've always wondered why some surgeons recommend against the treadmill. To me, it seems a lot safer, as long as there are arms on which to hold. While I think that getting outside and experiencing the world is good for recovery, when the weather is less than optimal, I think the treadmill is a great option.
                        Yes, I don't love treadmills at all. I much prefer to see the world go by and the view change when I walk. And breathe fresh air. But you can't always.
                        Last edited by Tina_R; 12-08-2019, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X