Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: DD recently diagnosed -- any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Pooka1 View Post
    Oh hey sorry about losing the story line there! Yes high school. :-)

It must be hard trying to learn under these conditions but it can be done. My colleague's daughter managed to complete a boatload of AP classes and got into UNC. Very cool.
    You know, I will say that I've been impressed with how the high school has done hybrid learning. It's mostly a question of scheduling -- making sure that the kids have enough work to do offline on homework days. Much better than my elementary-aged twins were all remote (it's just really hard for younger kids to learn remotely). And, like I said, the fact that she has practice or games six days a week means that she gets out and interacts with other kids almost every day, which is huge. She seems really happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Concerneddad View Post
    Freshman year is going as well as could be hoped for under the circumstances. In-person school two days a week (two homework days and one remote learning day), and her HS basketball team is giving her a good outlet to be around kids her own age almost every day. No back pain, and no noticeable height loss except maybe after pounding on the court at practice for two hours.

Speaking of, she's killing it. Started every varsity game as a freshman, averaging double figures, leading the team in scoring, and she's in the top five in the state in scoring for freshmen. The season is about half over. We've gotten to go to about half the games and had to watch half on streaming. I spent one night watching the second half of a game from a window outside the gym when it was like 10 degrees out when the school camera wasn't working. It was worth it!

Hope everyone is doing well.
    I hate to rain on your parade, but do the kids play sports in masks? They certainly don't socially distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tina_R View Post
    I hate to rain on your parade, but do the kids play sports in masks? They certainly don't socially distance.
    They play in masks. There really hasn't been much evidence of spread on the court, which surprises me a little. What I've been told is that the public health types think that the masks really help, plus although it's an indoor sport, it's played in big huge gyms that more mimic the outdoors. It's also something where the kids aren't actually that close to any other kid for more than 5-10 seconds at a time.

They also allow minimal or no spectators. That's where the real risk is -- the major outbreaks this past summer at kids' sports events came from spectators and not the participants.