Princess Eugenie's radiograph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
    It seems like Princess Eugenie had surgical level kyphosis. Why are people saying she had scoliosis?
    He surgeon Jan Lehovsky confirmed it was scoliosis- it was a sideways curve in the upper thoracic spine

Comment

Originally posted by burdle View Post
      people who technically have a curve in their spine of say 11 degrees which needs no intervention and does not cause pain. This sort of awareness does damage because there is an implied suggestion that scoliosis does not have any ill effects and the people who have such a curve are to be held as a sort of example of how one can get on with one's life with scoliosis whereas curves at surgery level for example can and do severely effect life.

SOSORT in 2012 drew attention to lack of clarity in terminology.. an example of this is the following:

Everyone has a kyphosis in so far as there is a normal level of kyphosis
      everyone has a lordosis in so far as there is a normal level of a lordosis

However the terms kyphosis and lordosis are now used freely in medical circles as indicating a deformity in those areas. Technically this is not correct . There is no 'normal' scoliosis - scoliosis is classed as a curve over 10 degrees. Scoliosis, Kyphosis and Lordosis are used now to denote deformity, but it is the level which is important.

We want to spread awareness to get better, effective treatment for those who need it not just advertising the terminology.
      I see....

I knew you were going to come back with the 11 degree definition.... The best way to counter would be to say that an 11 degree scoliosis would be an example of an 11 degree scoliosis, not a 111 degree scoliosis....you cant lump them in together. There is a huge lack of clarity.....but we know this around here. Many of us around here would take an 11 degree curve in a second!

The princess had a "serious" procedure done on her neck.....

The complicated cervical surgeries scare the heck out of me and kyphosis patients with 100 degree plus kyphosis curves have extremely large lordotic neck curves that go almost horizontal, and pay a HUGE price in pain and suffering. The headaches have got to be mind blowing. I cant even imagine how dreadful this must be. Having a bad neck also affects sleeping, and when you cant sleep correctly, this just completely wipes you out, and affects your thinking. If there is any stenosis or kinking, it affects CNS and blood flow to the brain.

We had a young 21 year old male kyphosis poster here (from the Albany, NY area) who was done by Dr Boachie who was e-mailing me years ago. His neck was presenting unbelievable amounts of pain and misery for him. I felt so sorry for him. I will take a scoliosis any day.

Sagittal plane side views are actually more important than scoliosis curves. They determine when osteotomies (cutting and removal of bone) need to be done. The cervical bones are also smaller, and smaller in females. Really small in Chinese females.....I have seen studies on this.

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
        I see....

I knew you were going to come back with the 11 degree definition.... The best way to counter would be to say that an 11 degree scoliosis would be an example of an 11 degree scoliosis, not a 111 degree scoliosis....you cant lump them in together. There is a huge lack of clarity.....but we know this around here. Many of us around here would take an 11 degree curve in a second!

Ed
        That was my point- not debilitating at all for some people but the media ( and some businesses) jumped on the awareness bandwagon and starting claiming all these other celebrities who 'as far as I can tell' have no debilitating effects.

Eugenie is to be commended for what she has done. I am not is a position to counter anything as I do not know what degree any celebrity has however we do know that if someone has had to had surgery then it must be a problem one.

Comment

Working...
        X