Princess Eugenie's radiograph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Princess Eugenie's radiograph

It looks very unusual... the fusion seems to start high in the thorax and go into the neck.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bkp5BlUg...ource=ig_embed
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Sharon, Yes, very unusual......

I cant seem to find her scoliosis x-rays online? Have you seen them, can you post?

When posting x-rays, both front and side views are important....

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

The one she posted at the link is the only one online I think.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Hmmmm. Just read an article highlighting her wedding and decided to come to the forum and saw your thread. Maybe this is old news to everyone but the article included this:

"Eugenie's dress was cut in a deep V in the front and the back, a feature requested by the bride that revealed a vertical scar from her surgery at age 12 to correct scoliosis. She has said previously it's important for people to show their scars."

(Headline) Princess Eugenie Weds Her Beau At Windsor Castle
        (credits) ENTERTAINMENT Now The Associated Press — By GREGORY KATZ and MARTIN BENEDYK - Associated Press

I thought you would like to see that about the dress and scars...

Ed - I can see the x-rays. I wonder if you need to be an instagram member to view???
        Last edited by Susie*Bee; 10-12-2018, 01:52 PM.
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Ok, found a photo with the goods..... (See below)

Looks like the bottom of her construct is around T7 or T8??? What do you guys think?

That would be an awfully "high" thoracic scoliosis.....and helps explain the x-ray.

Its hard to tell, perhaps a C7-T7 fusion? Jay Moe also has a high fusion,... fused up into the neck.

Perhaps a rare British technique, and if you had to name it, I guess you would call that a.... "Royal fusion"?

Suzie Bee, I actually wasn't looking at the low cut v in the front till you mentioned it.....that looks pretty good also. (smiley face)

Hope things are well.....

Ed
          Attached Files

My x-rays

Comment

Ha ha, Ed. I never watch Inside Edition but did tonight 'in case' -- and yes, they show her scar pretty clear and close. Sorry, but it is in the back "V" of her gown. It was a nice little pitch about scoliosis (yes, they actually talked about it).

I am ok. My CMT has progressed a fair amount. Oh darn. And I had my '2 year' scoli appt. a few weeks ago and have developed a shift at L4/L5. Ginger W and I have been communicating anyway and now she will pass on info to me after her surgery this month. I may be looking, seriously, at revision but will try to put it off. If I'm ok I will just return in one year to see about how things are. I will need a CT scan as I have SS hardware.

I thought of you just this past week. Went to Tahoe - memorial service for my brother. The weather was perfect. We were at South Lake Tahoe... boat ride, nice lodge, loving family gathered. It was a favorite place for my brother in his youth. Then drove down 395 to Ridgecrest to visit my MIL. Thanks for asking.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Originally posted by Susie*Bee View Post
              Ha ha, Ed. I never watch Inside Edition but did tonight 'in case' -- and yes, they show her scar pretty clear and close. Sorry, but it is in the back "V" of her gown. It was a nice little pitch about scoliosis (yes, they actually talked about it).
              Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 6.06.56 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2018-10-12 at 6.07.21 PM.jpg

I didn't click on your link until after posting, then realized it was a photo showing the scar. Maybe you can see the x-rays here... (above)
              Last edited by Susie*Bee; 10-12-2018, 05:15 PM.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Looking at this a little closer, in the 2nd x-ray, you can see the bunched up ribs, and possibly a hemi in her lower neck? A kyphosis x-ray "coronal" view (I re-attached it below)

Then, I started digging online and found this...
                https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ys-mother.html

Kyphosis....

Princess Eugenie, you have done good.....

I am sure all the old members from the Brit Scoliosis Support forum (which shut down) are welling a few tears....

Ed
                Attached Files

My x-rays

Comment

Thanks, Ed. The article was interesting. I wish the instagram link that Sharon included would work for you... it's the comments on the sidebar that are pretty interesting too - so many from others who had scoli surgeries and this is like a trigger for them to not feel so ashamed or embarrassed by their scars. SO, all in all, Eugenie really did do well. And yes, I'm sure the Brits with scoli connections are very touched by her openness and help in getting the word out.

Hello to you also, Sharon.

I will probably drop in from time to time to see if there are comments on revisions that might help me in the future... or any comments on CMT. My annual exam at the CMT Clinic of Excellence at Univ. of Iowa is in November. My first time there (2 years ago) my score was 7/28 but last year it was 15/28... and like golf, you want a low score. Boo. You can also PM me if there is something/someone I should know about.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Originally posted by Susie*Bee View Post
                    Hello to you also, Sharon.
                    It is very good to hear from you, Susie. I consider you a key contributor here. And you have given me good advice on a personal level which i still appreciate.

Best regards,
                    Sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Thanks, Sharon. Hope all is well with you and your family.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                        Looking at this a little closer, in the 2nd x-ray, you can see the bunched up ribs, and possibly a hemi in her lower neck? A kyphosis x-ray "coronal" view (I re-attached it below)

Then, I started digging online and found this...
                        https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ys-mother.html

Kyphosis....

Princess Eugenie, you have done good.....

I am sure all the old members from the Brit Scoliosis Support forum (which shut down) are welling a few tears....

Ed
                        Indeed she has- we have long thought her fusion was unusual. He surgeon at RHOH works with my surgeon. I think she has done a lot of good here and also raised awareness regarding VBT as she befriended Julia Carlisle the dancer on 'Britain's got talent;' a reality show in UK who ended up having ASC on her spine so that she could maintain her dancing. Julia was also at the wedding.

Unfortunately in my opinion though some thought that celebrity awareness was an end in itself and started highlighting others who have scoliosis. The important thing about Eugenie was that she had had surgery and the implications surrounding this and not a bunch of people who claim a scoliosis which has no debilitating affect on their lives at all.

Comment

Originally posted by burdle View Post
                          Unfortunately in my opinion though some thought that celebrity awareness was an end in itself and started highlighting others who have scoliosis. The important thing about Eugenie was that she had had surgery and the implications surrounding this and not a bunch of people who claim a scoliosis which has no debilitating affect on their lives at all.
                          "No debilitating affect" Who is saying this? How can anyone say this?

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

people who technically have a curve in their spine of say 11 degrees which needs no intervention and does not cause pain. This sort of awareness does damage because there is an implied suggestion that scoliosis does not have any ill effects and the people who have such a curve are to be held as a sort of example of how one can get on with one's life with scoliosis whereas curves at surgery level for example can and do severely effect life.

SOSORT in 2012 drew attention to lack of clarity in terminology.. an example of this is the following:

Everyone has a kyphosis in so far as there is a normal level of kyphosis
                            everyone has a lordosis in so far as there is a normal level of a lordosis

However the terms kyphosis and lordosis are now used freely in medical circles as indicating a deformity in those areas. Technically this is not correct . There is no 'normal' scoliosis - scoliosis is classed as a curve over 10 degrees. Scoliosis, Kyphosis and Lordosis are used now to denote deformity, but it is the level which is important.

We want to spread awareness to get better, effective treatment for those who need it not just advertising the terminology.

Comment

It seems like Princess Eugenie had surgical level kyphosis. Why are people saying she had scoliosis?

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                              X