David Hanscom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by burdle View Post
    You are saying what I am saying- is it likely that my structural issues are the cause of my pain? the answer realistically is yes as far as I am concerned but from the medical perspective is EVEN if they are and they don't have to be there is no guarantee that surgery will solve the pain- so a risk not work taking from their perspective!
    Plenty of people in your shoes have gotten relief from surgery including Linda and Ed. And at least Ed had long-standing pain like you do and he still was helped. You need to talk with someone who has several patients who were and were not helped by surgery to see if you will benefit.

By the pain management doctor- I mean that the guy I see basically does injections- first an and foremost and for diagnosis as much as for pain relief. But pain management theory now centres on the notion that once these pathways are set up the pain becomes more centralised and injecting locally could have little effect etc. I really am not an expert ... just what I am reading. There is no such thing as a pain message- just a message that is interpreted by the brain as pain- hence phantom limb pain etc.
    Brain science is fascinating. They recently found out where the brain produces anxiety. Translating that to a therapy is the challenge. The board certified pain doctors have what is available now. That surgeon I mentioned who stopped doing the tiny fusions is working on this brain stuff.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I am convinced but this is NHS and they wont do surgery on a balanced spine
      of course as time goes on it wont be balanced. Pain in UK is not a valid reason for surgery for scoliosis.

Comment

Canada rations medicine by strictly limiting the number of doctors. It sounds like the UK rations medicine by stating questionable medical claims.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
          Canada rations medicine by strictly limiting the number of doctors. It sounds like the UK rations medicine by stating questionable medical claims.
          Its unfortunate that this is so true....The Canadian Health act is all about finances, then health. One can attribute this to the state of the economy and the markets. When the markets correct from being oversold, (proven through history) what will happen when people cannot afford medical insurance in the US? When the bottom line comes in red, medical care will take a back seat.

I learned one thing through the years. If your going to get a disease, make sure you get the right one because not all diseases are equal....Some worse medically speaking, and some worse financially speaking. (Even if there is no cure) Cures are bonuses. Scoliosis surgery done successfully, is a bonus and a gift. My dad had ALS, my brother a rare Kleinfelter's and my mother had cancer. I got off easy.

A lot of the old posters here came out good.....most of us being around age 50. Adult, full fusion patients. A few rod breakers, but they got fixed up.

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I think you are right. There is a lot of rationing going on and I am very suspicious. It is very hard to sit in front of a renowned consultant at the leading hospital for Scoliosis in UK and be told that if I have an op there is a god risk of being in more pain than before- and I have openly asked whether this is a cost matter, but of course they are not going to admit it.

Comment

I think you are right. There is a lot of rationing going on and I am very suspicious. It is very hard to sit in front of a renowned consultant at the leading hospital for Scoliosis in UK and be told that if I have an op there is a god risk of being in more pain than before- and I have openly asked whether this is a cost matter, but of course they are not going to admit it.
              I think Linda knows of some evidence or anecdote that the people in a lot of pain before hand often have less pain after. It's the people with little or no pain before that are sometimes disappointed by pain after. I hope I have that right.

By the way, in the US they ration medicine by denying it to vast swaths of people and allowing healthy people to opt out before Obama tried to address the problem. Trump is trying to bring us back to widespread lack of health insurance.
              Last edited by Pooka1; 05-31-2018, 10:45 AM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I think Linda knows of some evidence or anecdote that the people in a lot of pain before hand often have less lain after. It's the people with little or no pain before that are sometimes disappointed by pain after. I hope I have that right.

By the way, in the US they ration medicine by denying it to vast swaths of people and allowing healthy people to opt out before Obama tried to address the problem. Trump is trying to bring us back to widespread lack of health insurance.
                We actually found that older people had better outcomes, and it assumed that's because the older people appear to be more disabled than those who are younger.
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                  We actually found that older people had better outcomes, and it assumed that's because the older people appear to be more disabled than those who are younger.
                  Thanks for this- don't suppose you could link a study.

Comment

Thanks for this- don't suppose you could link a study.
                    No, we didn't publish.
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

http://www.backincontrol.com/trapped...iosis-surgery/

Here's a piece about David Hanscom that is specifically appropriate. Not everyone is going to believe, but I hope this helps a few.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                        http://www.backincontrol.com/trapped...iosis-surgery/

Here's a piece about David Hanscom that is specifically appropriate. Not everyone is going to believe, but I hope this helps a few.
                        yes- this is how pain management currently works in UK - using CBT techniques to change patterns of thinking for chronic pain sufferers. However still important to asses the bio-mechanics of a patient beforehand.

Comment

Working...
                        X