Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
    Hi Tilted...

The chance that your scoliosis caused chest pains and dizzy spells is about as close to zero as possible.

Your curves are very small, and at 47 years old, there's also about zero chance that they will ever increase enough that you'd need treatment for scoliosis.

--Linda
    When I was having the chest pains and dizzy spells in 2007, I got a cervical spine xray and the results were prominent reversal of the cervical spine. I didn't know you could have a reverse curve. I found a chiropractor and my chest pains and dizzy spells were resolved; I've had a few more occurrences in the past decade but I believe it is all related to my spine (can't keep my head on straight). I also have reduced lung capacity caused by the scoliosis. My curve is the worst near my heart and lungs so this would explain the heart and lung problems. Whenever my chiropractor adjusts me, I breathe easier (lungs) and I feel warmer (heart).

I can also get double vision in one position; this medical journal lists the cause as scoliosis. I know my curves are very small but that doesn't mean they don't cause many problems. I visited the ER in 2007 and they basically told me to take an aspirin; I did not take an aspirin but I did visit a chiropractor for the first time.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...?redirect=true

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
      Why do you go to a chiropractor?
      I visit a chiropractor because I have scoliosis. I've tried PT and Schroth. Didn't you say PT doesn't work earlier in this thread? So if PT doesn't work and I never got braced, what else should I do? I know there are a couple of adult braces (ScoliSmart and SpineCor). Does anyone use the adult braces?

Comment

Originally posted by Tilted View Post
        When I was having the chest pains and dizzy spells in 2007, I got a cervical spine xray and the results were prominent reversal of the cervical spine. I didn't know you could have a reverse curve. I found a chiropractor and my chest pains and dizzy spells were resolved; I've had a few more occurrences in the past decade but I believe it is all related to my spine (can't keep my head on straight). I also have reduced lung capacity caused by the scoliosis. My curve is the worst near my heart and lungs so this would explain the heart and lung problems. Whenever my chiropractor adjusts me, I breathe easier (lungs) and I feel warmer (heart).

I can also get double vision in one position; this medical journal lists the cause as scoliosis. I know my curves are very small but that doesn't mean they don't cause many problems. I visited the ER in 2007 and they basically told me to take an aspirin; I did not take an aspirin but I did visit a chiropractor for the first time.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...?redirect=true
        You have scoliosis and eye issues? Please get evaluated for Marfans Syndrome. There are heart issues associated with that also.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20350782
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I visit a chiropractor because I have scoliosis. I've tried PT and Schroth. Didn't you say PT doesn't work earlier in this thread? So if PT doesn't work and I never got braced, what else should I do? I know there are a couple of adult braces (ScoliSmart and SpineCor). Does anyone use the adult braces?
          I apologize for being unclear. There is no evidence PT can correct or halt a curve. It is effective for pain.

Your curves are too small for bracing. If you brace now you will have muscle deterioration as the brace takes over for your muscles and you will likely feel worse.

When you ask what you should do, do you mean about the curve or any pain?

Your curve is probably stable so you don't need to do anything but you should get radiographs occasionally to make sure.

Your pain has the best chance of remitting with PT and exercise and staying fit of all the modalities as far as I know.

By the way, you mentioned a lot of things that sound like your chiro told you them. Ignore everything your chiro tells you... they have no relevant training. Chiro schools have been likened to trade schools and the training has been documented as being very poor in terms of medicine and any basic science.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/sci...-chiropractic/

Your symptoms probably remitted unrelated to anything the chiro is doing with you.
          Last edited by Pooka1; 04-01-2018, 09:16 AM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

You have scoliosis and eye issues? Please get evaluated for Marfans Syndrome. There are heart issues associated with that also.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20350782
            I have Gorlin syndrome so have skeletal anomalies (among a lot of other things).

I called the Scoliosis Gym developer to let him know about this national forum. I was expecting to get an answering machine but was able to reach him. He now knows about this forum.

Comment

I have Gorlin syndrome so have skeletal anomalies (among a lot of other things).
              When was the last time you saw a doctor? You mention your ER room visit 10 years ago, but that's a really long time.

You realize that Chiropractors are not MD's. They do not go to Medical school. In England, they are not allowed to title themselves as MD's and pose as medical doctors. In the US, they use DC, Doctor of Chiropractic, they are trained in spinal manipulation.

How do you know you don't have any tumors?

Since you have an underlying pathology, I would get permission before proceeding with Chiropractic. I agree with you on having beneficial results from spinal manipulation, but I had permission.

I visited Chiropractors for pain, not scoliosis.

Ed
              Last edited by titaniumed; 04-01-2018, 11:07 AM.
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Tilted...

The chance that your scoliosis caused chest pains and dizzy spells is about as close to zero as possible.

Your curves are very small, and at 47 years old, there's also about zero chance that they will ever increase enough that you'd need treatment for scoliosis.

--Linda
                Here's a 2010 article about reverse curves just like mine and the symptoms; it even mentions ERs just like my 2007 ER visit. The chance that my reverse curve caused my chest pains and dizzy spells in 2007 is as close to a hundred as possible. My scoliosis made my reverse curve much more likely. If my curve is so small, then I don't have a Tilted head or shoulders and never experienced a problem with equilibrium.

https://themendingpath.wordpress.com...omes-the-norm/

Comment

Straightening of the cervical spine in the sagittal plane (reduced kyphosis) is very, very common, and has absolutely no affect on scoliosis. I had a very straight cervical spine when I was first xrayed, and managed to recreate the normal lordosis by using a rolled up towel under my neck for traction. Probably the best thing you can do for yourself is ensure proper ergonomics if you sit at a computer and/or use a device for things like browsing and texting.
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Here's a 2010 article about reverse curves just like mine and the symptoms; it even mentions ERs just like my 2007 ER visit. The chance that my reverse curve caused my chest pains and dizzy spells in 2007 is as close to a hundred as possible. My scoliosis made my reverse curve much more likely. If my curve is so small, then I don't have a Tilted head or shoulders and never experienced a problem with equilibrium.

https://themendingpath.wordpress.com...omes-the-norm/
                    This was written by a chiro. They do NOT have any relevant training. A chiro doesn't have the first clue about any of your medical issues because they have no training in medicine. The GPA required to get into chiro school is the lowest of all the allied medical schools (podiatry, etc.). They probably take anyone who can pay. Do you really want to pay someone like that?

Here is chirobase which has a lot of relevant info on chiro documenting the sheer nonsense of it.

https://www.chirobase.org/

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Straightening of the cervical spine in the sagittal plane (reduced kyphosis) is very, very common, and has absolutely no affect on scoliosis. I had a very straight cervical spine when I was first xrayed, and managed to recreate the normal lordosis by using a rolled up towel under my neck for traction. Probably the best thing you can do for yourself is ensure proper ergonomics if you sit at a computer and/or use a device for things like browsing and texting.
                      My chiropractor told me to keep my hips above my knees at the computer so I sit on a folded towel. I have the most discomfort sitting in front of the computer. I do my Schroth exercises after sitting at the computer; the exercises mainly target the lumbar and thoracic spine. They do help loosen up my right shoulder after a computer session. My chiropractor works on my cervical spine.

The Schroth method includes ADLs (activities of daily living). Here is the one for my computer posture: lift bottom of the ribs forward, side shift ribs to left, hips shift right. If this is proper ergonomics, then I've never had the correct computer posture. Who could maintain that computer posture for hours a day?

My Schroth doctor (first one certified in America) is also a chiropractor. Are there any Schroth doctors on this forum or are they as highly regarded as chiropractors?

http://bostonvoyager.com/interview/m...is-3dc-woburn/

Comment

Are there any Schroth doctors on this forum or are they as highly regarded as chiropractors?
                        This is essentially a patient forum, so you won't generally find any practitioners here. Practitioners are not prevented from joining, but they would not be allowed to do anything that could be regarded as promoting their business.
                        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

My Schroth doctor (first one certified in America) is also a chiropractor. Are there any Schroth doctors on this forum or are they as highly regarded as chiropractors?
                          Schroth was invented by a lay person and it shows. There is no evidence it has allowed anyone to avoid surgery despite a trained researcher (the inventor's grandson who is an orthopedic surgeon) working with about 30,000 patents over at least 10 years looking for evidence. He has since admitted PT does not work and now does bracing for children.

I don't know what more evidence we need that Schroth is nonsense.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Schroth was invented by a lay person and it shows. There is no evidence it has allowed anyone to avoid surgery despite a trained researcher (the inventor's grandson who is an orthopedic surgeon) working with about 30,000 patents over at least 10 years looking for evidence. He has since admitted PT does not work and now does bracing for children.

I don't know what more evidence we need that Schroth is nonsense.
                            who is the inventor's ( Weiss?) grandson?

Comment

Originally posted by burdle View Post
                              who is the inventor's ( Weiss?) grandson?
                              Hi Burdle. Glad to hear from you.

The inventor is Katarina Schroth (sp?), a lay person. Her grandson is Weiss who made the admission after years of research.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

He has since admitted PT does not work and now does bracing for children.
                                Talking about the kids....

The newer 3D printed braces that Dr Weiss is making look pretty good.... You have to admit that the "in brace" correction x-rays on the kids are nice to see.....These teenage kids with rubber spines straighten up nicely in their braces.

But I wonder what happens with these kids as they mature? What happens if or when they decide to stop using the brace? I could imagine the spine returning over some time....Chances are the majority of the correction has to do with the brace.

The bracing business is going to be a better business than the therapy business...therapy goes on and on and on, almost never ending. Extremely labor intensive. They can throw a program into a printer and have the brace made overnight with $50 worth of plastic.

Of course, adults are a completely different story.

Ed
                                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                                X