• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SRS Patient Webinar on Adult Scoliosis

April 11, 2018
    8:00 PM EDT

No details on the website yet.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

They have had a few of these recently. I joined a couple. I did not ask a question.

There was one question about each of the 'obvious' and they has someone to answer in each category - I was really disappointed.

There was nothing about VBT or any new surgical techniques. Really suprising seeing as VBT is now being done worldwide. Led by US doctors originally it is now in Germany, Turkey, Spain and Canada.

Comment

Hi Burdle. Have you seen the SRS statement on tethering?

http://www.srs.org/about-srs/quality...inal-deformity
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Yes but it not a position statement (even though the srs does have position statements on other topics on its website) It is an information statement and this has not kept up to date. Quite simply this article was written by people who don't do vbt surgery. There needs to be an information statement about those who do to counter it. Dr. Antonacci has a very up-to date website about his patients and surgical successes.

There is a one line mention of VBT under Juvenile Scoliosis. The confusion of the terminology ( SOSORT ) does not help and the info is buried here. It is actually being done now on adults with ASC

The problem is that the surgeons - and Dr Betz who is a member of SRS- are disregarding the bodies set up in the scoliosis patient interests. If these bodies are to remain relevant then they have at least got to be up-to-date.

By the way VBT is now being performed again in UK ( self-funding)

Comment

Originally posted by burdle View Post
          Canada.
          I see that they built a new Shriners in Montreal, Canada.....It opened in October 2015.
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrine...2%80%93_Canada

What happened with Elisha's son, and Walid years ago was not acceptable.....(teens waiting with 100 degree curves) Its good to see that this happened up in Canada.

The do "mention" all the spinal systems for kids on their webpage....
          https://www.shrinershospitalsforchil...and-spine-care

Time is passing quickly and improvements happen everyday.

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

yes Shiners have big VBT programs in US but their parameters are very specific. Outside of Shriners they are much wider and even in some places for the skeletally mature often with ASC.

My issue is that SRS , BRSF etc are not up-to date and have no information. We are entitled to the information at least. people have to resort to social media without it and social media comes with emotion and inaccuracies and I am afraid bossy, power-mad and not always the most intelligent admins. Why should information about VBT be restricted just to social media?

I would like to ask a question about VBT at one of the webinars but my question will not be accepted.

Comment

Burdle maybe Antonacci will answer your question if you send it to him.
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

It seems that they could be taking the technology slowly, perfecting things.... An example would be (Tensioning devices and techniques etc) I wonder how they do this? The associated "tooling" that was engineered on my system (Synthes Pangea) is incredible. All the "What if" scenarios have been addressed....Funny how people think about $1000 screws being expensive, but all the other "very complex" tooling has to be made for the system, and distributed to each surgeon. This doesn't happen quickly. Surgeons also have to be trained with each system, another time consuming factor.

It took Elon Musk and SpaceX around 12 years to launch Falcon Heavy.....and that launch yesterday was a test....Billions of dollars, and quite a few crashes.

Pretty soon humans will be going to Mars....probably before our spine systems get perfected.

"Major Tom to Ground Control" "My tethering cord broke, now what?"

Its hard to answer all the questions....

Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                  Burdle maybe Antonacci will answer your question if you send it to him.
                  Hi,

I don't have any questions really- VBT is not going to be for me- old - 3 curves- stiff as a board and in pain. My question for DR A would be why are SRS not putting the info on their website and his answer would be ASK SRS!!"!!!

My problem is with SRS , BSRF, SOSORT and SAUK etc who are failing us in giving us the information in the first place - with which we go out - explore-make a value judgment; all things that people are doing NOW MANY MANY times over - but only IF they are lucky to have stumbled across VBT from anecdote or Facebook. this should not be so- it cannot continue. SRS etc are supposed to be independent. The Facebook groups behave as if VBT is their own personal property and the Doctors who perform it are their special friends-

I believe in free access to information that we are entitled to.
                  Last edited by burdle; 02-07-2018, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                    It seems that they could be taking the technology slowly, perfecting things.... An example would be (Tensioning devices and techniques etc) I wonder how they do this? The associated "tooling" that was engineered on my system (Synthes Pangea) is incredible. All the "What if" scenarios have been addressed....Funny how people think about $1000 screws being expensive, but all the other "very complex" tooling has to be made for the system, and distributed to each surgeon. This doesn't happen quickly. Surgeons also have to be trained with each system, another time consuming factor.

It took Elon Musk and SpaceX around 12 years to launch Falcon Heavy.....and that launch yesterday was a test....Billions of dollars, and quite a few crashes.

Pretty soon humans will be going to Mars....probably before our spine systems get perfected.

"Major Tom to Ground Control" "My tethering cord broke, now what?"

Its hard to answer all the questions....

Ed

when there was just fusion on the table ( pun intended) the procedure presumably went through some trial before being adopted. However duiing its lifetime they are still perfecting it.

The argument against VBT by the status quo is that fusion is the gold standard and its proponents say that an alternative would need to prove that it has better outcomes than fusion.

however the long-term studies from fusion simply don't exist. What does exists is studies from the flatback problem- which resulted in changes to the procedure- the remainder of studies involving long-term results do not exist so the premis is flawed. It is a 'gold standard' based on very little evidence and has its roots in being the 'only' standard. You can call it Gold if you like but gold is meaningless if there is no runner up.

It seems to me that a procedure that allows movement and flexibility (VBT) against one (Fusion) that leaves a spine rigid and inflexible has got to be better in its conception. We are all living longer and our spines have got to last a long time. It is a fact that degeneration occurs after fusion; by then sufferers just fall into the 'catch all' of degenerative spine issues - the details are lost. No-one is going to spend time and money doing any research into how many of them had fusion surgery in the first place but the level of pain and degeneration may be far worse than those without scoliosis or with untreated scoliosis.

All I am pushing for is information.... what actually have we got to lose - fusion must have started out as this!
                    Last edited by burdle; 02-09-2018, 05:26 AM. Reason: my sentence was back to fromt!

Comment

The registration website is now up and running.

https://register.gotowebinar.com/reg...61685275817217
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

In addition to the webinar coming up in a few weeks, there's another one:

https://register.gotowebinar.com/reg...92601801409537

Comment

If you missed it, the recording of the May SRS webinar is now up and running:

https://youtu.be/k4xz-tgn1Us

The discussion was mostly about non-surgical options. I highly recommend watching it.

Comment

Working...
                          X