• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vbt

I came across this - it is dated 2015- the FDA bit is very interesting

https://posna.org/Blogs/The-Resident...th-Randal-Betz

Hi Burdle.

Well it is now 2 years after that interview. We should look to see if FDA approves it but I don't think it matters because hundreds of people by now are tethered and more are being tethered going forward even without approval.

I wish that surgeon from HSS who responded to the question about VBT would have elaborated as to why he thinks VBT will only be effective for select cases when Betz thinks it will be the standard eventually. I wonder which cases the HSS surgeon is thinking about. Maybe he is talking about just flexible spines. And he was probably not discussing the universe of patients but only addressing adolescents in his response since there is only 1 or 2 mature adults tethered. I wonder what he would have said about adults being tethered given what he said about kids (if in fact he limited his response to kids).

ETA: "mature" adults since there are more than 1-2 young adults tethered.
    Last edited by Pooka1; 07-28-2017, 07:21 AM.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
      Hi Burdle.

Well it is now 2 years after that interview. We should look to see if FDA approves it but I don't think it matters because hundreds of people by now are tethered and more are being tethered going forward even without approval.

I wish that surgeon from HSS who responded to the question about VBT would have elaborated as to why he thinks VBT will only be effective for select cases when Betz thinks it will be the standard eventually. I wonder which cases the HSS surgeon is thinking about. Maybe he is talking about just flexible spines. And he was probably not discussing the universe of patients but only addressing adolescents in his response since there is only 1 or 2 adults tethered. I wonder what he would have said about adults being tethered given what he said about kids (if in fact he limited his response to kids).
      Can you remind me about the HSS surgeon.

I am not familiar with FDA approval but Betz makes the point about experimental and investigational. The FDA bit as far as VBT goes does sound much more based in business rather than ethics in so far as Betz says how difficult it is to get approval for devices.

Again I have to make the point that given the FDA situation - more info really should be available on this site.

The UK will undoubtedly follow the FDA

Comment

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...ing&highlight=

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Have you got the link to the interview?

Comment

There is no interview. He was taking questions about fusion. It was the only question regarding tethering.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
              There is no interview. He was taking questions about fusion. It was the only question regarding tethering.
              Hi,

can ask how you got hold of the info?

Comment

Originally posted by burdle View Post
                Hi,

can ask how you got hold of the info?
                Please see you PMs.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                X