Dr's appointment today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vbt

I am exploring the possibility of VBT as well, as a 52 year old. My surgeon told me I would need to be fused T3-sacrum and he was not recommending it. Too drastic for my 42 degree curve. So I'm gathering my MRI and X-rays and going to send them to the surgeons doing the procedures. I have already been in touch with their staff. Nothing to lose. A lot to potentially gain. Not sure if I'll be a candidate, but I do bend to 8 degrees. I'm older by a bit then the two sisters who have had VBT. But to me understanding, they are both pleased with their outcomes.

Comment

Originally posted by txgal View Post
      I am exploring the possibility of VBT as well, as a 52 year old. My surgeon told me I would need to be fused T3-sacrum and he was not recommending it. Too drastic for my 42 degree curve. So I'm gathering my MRI and X-rays and going to send them to the surgeons doing the procedures. I have already been in touch with their staff. Nothing to lose. A lot to potentially gain. Not sure if I'll be a candidate, but I do bend to 8 degrees. I'm older by a bit then the two sisters who have had VBT. But to me understanding, they are both pleased with their outcomes.
      I have 3 curves which is why any surgery would be from top to Sacrum- is yours a large thoracolumbar?. And is it a structural curve? From what I can tell the ladies who have had VBT had de Novo scoliosis and not Idiopathic Scoliosis but I am not sure. Chriros do not mention the difference but a surgeon should,.

I would be very interested in what the VBt guys say to you

Comment

Burdle,

I am no expert on tethering but I also have 3 curves, I have adolescent idiopathic Scoliosis and am 42. You should join that tethering site, I would love to see someone like you ask all the questions you ash here. You could very well be a candidate once understanding and learning on that site just like me. I do have osteopenia so not sure if I'm ruled out yet.

They are tethering many people with compensatory curves and structural. If anything, I haven't seen any cases of tethering on denoco curves.

Thanks,
        Melisse
        Melisse
        Diagnosed with Adolescent Scoliosis @ 12 y.o. Thoracolumbar curve was around 28*
        Wore Boston Brace 2 -3 yrs

Comment

It might be worth asking if they can at least tether the lumbar if they fuse the thorax. I am hoping that becomes an option if my daughters ever need an extension of their T fusions.
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I've seen several xrays on that site of people that had hybrids done where they had thoracic fusion and then feathered the Lumbars.
            Melisse
            Diagnosed with Adolescent Scoliosis @ 12 y.o. Thoracolumbar curve was around 28*

Comment

**teathered
              Melisse

Comment

Texas girl,
                Are you on the teatgering site? I just joined also a month ago or so. I hope your a candidate. It seems there have been atleast 500 done and showing promise. I am learning as much as I can but think Dr AbC and Dr Lonner are who to see as an adult.
                Melisse

Comment

Also, why would you need to be fused to the sacrum with that size curve? Mine is larger and I was told 6 levels to fuse. That has me worried now that that may not be enough. I don't see too many folks with such short fusions. I'm wondering if that would hold me or break.
                  Melisse

Comment

Originally posted by Kay1974 View Post
                    Texas girl,
                    Are you on the teatgering site? I just joined also a month ago or so. I hope your a candidate. It seems there have been atleast 500 done and showing promise. I am learning as much as I can but think Dr AbC and Dr Lonner are who to see as an adult.
                    Where is the information that at least 500 have been done?

Also is it still only two mature adults who have been tethered? That is are all but 2 tetherings in growing kids or young adults?

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Sharon, it's all on that VBT site via Facebook.

You should join to learn about it as it sounds like 1 daughter of yours may or may not have lumbar issues one day. if my daughter ever were to need this, I would definitely seek it out for her. It's really looking promising for certain people.
                      Melisse

Comment

Sharon, it's all on that VBT site via Facebook.

You should join to learn about it as it sounds like 1 daughter of yours may or may not have lumbar issues one day. if my daughter ever were to need this, I would definitely seek it out for her. It's really looking promising for certain people.
                        When some folks come here from the FB group, there is a touch of arm waving and lack of rigor. I would like to know HOW they know it is 500 or if that is just some layperson's "feeling".

I am on enough groups. I am not going to join the tethering group until I need to do so. I am hoping that day never comes.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Yes, it would be nice to see actual numbers on some sort of report by the government or something but no, I have not seen that. I would think the actual numbers would be reported somewhere but I do not know where to look and I don't like taking others "feelings" about it either so I'm sorry if I mislead. I'm seriously trying to find out everything I can but I'm not sure where to get actual data.

When it comes to our spines, people need to be able to make the best decision for theirself and read up on everything trying to decipher the facts. VBT must be growing but as others stated on here, it's not mainstream yet.
                          Melisse

Comment

Fused to sacrum

Also, why would you need to be fused to the sacrum with that size curve? Mine is larger and I was told 6 levels to fuse. That has me worried now that that may not be enough. I don't see too many folks with such short fusions. I'm wondering if that would hold me or break.
                            Degeneration under my low curve. I also have 48 degree kyphosis.

Comment

Guys, I have not been on the site for awhile due to a Phishing warning.......

Have any of you seen this warning?

If so, is something being done?

Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I saw the warning for two days. Then it was gone & I got in. I just assumed the NSF technical people took care of it.
                                Decompression surgery L4/L5
                                April 3, 2015
                                Twin Cities Spine Center - Dr. Joseph Perra
                                Fused from T11 - Sacrum anterior/posterior
                                June 24, 2016 - 55 years old at surgery
                                Twin Cities Spine Center - Dr. Joseph Perra
                                Before Surgery: 42 degrees lumbar, 28 degrees thoracic
                                After Surgery: 10 degrees lumbar, ?? Thoracic
                                2 inches taller

Comment

Working...
                                X