Entry for latest announced surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ted, Those are incredible x-rays! Wow!

The doctors and nurses will know what to look for as far as infection is concerned. Try not to worry too much, recovery truly is an up and down (see-saw) thing with good days and bad. We push too much and it can result in pain.....

Our walkers are quite important to us in early recovery.....It’s a slow and steady process walking with them until we get comfortable on our feet. One of the hardest parts is right after we stand up after getting out of bed. I would simply stand there for long periods before proceeding to walk. Standing is also ok with the walker as its also exercise. It will all come around in time. Patience!

Tell her I said congratulations!

Ed
    Last edited by titaniumed; 12-08-2016, 08:30 AM.
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Walking poles for Amanda

I'm 7 weeks out from surgery and I'm using walking/hiking poles when I go for walks in my neighborhood. Once Amanda is off the walker and ready to go for walks, I think she'll find these very useful. They help me keep my balance but still allow my muscles to strengthen as I walk. I got mine off Amazon ... they have a number of affordable options, from $30- $100. Get some with foam inserts on the straps ... much more comfortable. These will also work in a shopping mall if you need a place to walk in bad weather. Keep us updated and best of luck !!!

Comment

Correction looks amazing!
        Hugs, Susan
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Thank you, Holly

Originally posted by Holly-in-Denver View Post
          I'm 7 weeks out from surgery and I'm using walking/hiking poles when I go for walks in my neighborhood. Once Amanda is off the walker and ready to go for walks, I think she'll find these very useful. They help me keep my balance but still allow my muscles to strengthen as I walk. I got mine off Amazon ... they have a number of affordable options, from $30- $100. Get some with foam inserts on the straps ... much more comfortable. These will also work in a shopping mall if you need a place to walk in bad weather. Keep us updated and best of luck !!!
          Great advice, Holly. I remember hearing about them early in my search but forgot completely. Especially apt to be handy as this Winter in Central PA promises to be brutal (Mall walking is where it will be indefinitely.)
          Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
          Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
          main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
          Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Couldn't find this original thread when I was ready to post last night

So here's the continuation. Note (sorry) it's bad news too - couldn't change the title with
            edit function.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...-THE-GOOD-NEWS!
            Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Amanda your correction looks awesome
              Kara
              Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
              Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
              T4-L2
              Before 50T
              After 20T

Comment

Mlindhardt - comparing notes?

Originally posted by Mlindhardt View Post
                I had spinal fusion with Dr. Schwab in May 2016 -T4 to sacrum. I was 61 at the time. While the recovery was more difficult than I expected, it was absolutely worth it. I also needed a plastic surgeon to close and had the dreaded drainage bags until a week after discharge. I've been using silicone strips recommended by the plastic surgeon and my scar is fading. Dr. Schwab, his team and HSS were great, even the room on the East River. Good luck with your recovery.

I also want to thank all the regular posters on this site. It was extremely helpful in making the decision to proceed and getting tips to help with recovery.
                Thanks for checking in on this thread. I've been meaning to write you and a few other Dr. Schwab pts (befores and afters). If you see this, I'd much appreciate knowing what you were referring to re "recovery more difficult than expected". Also, what condition are you in now? Especially interested in my troubling areas (details elsewhere): FUO*, gait problems (seems to stem from numb right hip, both problems showed up immediately after awakening after surgery). Also wondering about others' experience with walking at various post-op stages. I'm assuming (?) unless otherwise stated, this refers to walking with a walker. When does one tend to manage without?

I will write elsewhere a brief summary about what's up with me these days - 3 1/2 wks post-op. (hmm. Or should I start a separate thread?). Dr. Schwab is a consummate pro and possessed of real dignity and compassionate. Glad to have found him. Last year, the plan of action was for him to operate on me in tandem with Dr. Errico but in between, Dr. Schwab left that facility to accept the appointment as head of spinal services at HSS (Hospital for Special Surgery). I envy his patients who live nearby, as it is quite a shlep to get to and from my location in Central PA.

Dr. S was intending to fuse me from T4 to the pelvis, but (at least from my Xrays - opinions?) it looks like he began at T1/2. Still that makes us very similar fusion lengths which makes your experiences all the more interesting to me, however much "everyone is different" from countless POVs.

*Fever of unknown origin

Comment

Kennedy

Originally posted by kennedy View Post
                  Amanda your correction looks awesome
                  Many thanks for your congratulations and good wishes in advance of my surgery (especially considering my very last minute announcement! )

I'm thrilled with the straight back too. (One of my son's refers to my surgery as my "conversion therapy"! Lol)

Comment

Mariane

Originally posted by Marianne View Post
                    Amanda, wishing you a smooth recovery. I am happy you have your sons there with you and they are looking after you and updating the forum.
                    Family means so much at times like this.
                    Many thanks for your good wishes, Marianne. Helps a lot!

Comment

Golfnut/Karen

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
                      Amanda,
                      My surgery was almost 6 years ago and I don't check in nearly as often as I used to. I will check in regularly to see how you are doing with recovery. I'm hoping you have a smooth recovery.
                      I remember you well from my first intensive correspondence here six-seven
                      years ago. I was inspired by your story especially as we are close in age. Also since you were athletic and positive.

Thanks for checking in on me! My recovery is definitely full of ups and downs (about which I'll write later, perhaps elsewhere). However, compared to some of you (surely other "old timers" will readily think of names), I am fortunate indeed.

Comment

Susancook

Originally posted by susancook View Post
                        I wrote a long entry that went to a black hole as I was logged out when I tapped post.

Short version: two 70 year old women together, both doing the best with what they have. Over past couple months, we have talked.

Talked with Mandy and sons tonight and I will post if son do not.

I got her back.

Susan....remember me? ***Keep this thread about Mandy. I will post more about me another time
                        Susan, I loved your posts about "Mandy in surgery" and afterwards. Made me feel I was cared about like the old friends who used to call me Mandy (intending to return to that from Amanda, as I told you. The Amanda years weren't the greatest - hopefully, the Mandy years, old and renewed, will be happier and healthier).

Comment

Amanda,
                          How are you doing? I know it's so early in your recovery and it's the time when it takes a ton of patience for one to deal with the pain and the healing. I tried to keep focusing on the "light at the end of the tunnel". I got there!
                          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                          Rib Hump-GONE!
                          Age-60 at the time of surgery
                          Now 66
                          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
                          X