Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 weeks post

Good afternoon all,

I just read Jana's post about a miracle happening on the 101st day, and I have to say that I had my own 'light at the end of the tunnel' moment on the 8th week. We just returned from a very relaxing week in Mexico and I truly feel amazing. I am finally in a spot where I have less pain than pre-surgery and I'm almost completely pain free. I am stiff in the morning after being in bed all night, but that is not really pain to me... just life and getting older, haha.

I think that a week swimming in a pool, napping on loungers and relaxing with the family was just what the doctor ordered for me and I am so grateful that it was a positive experience. I was so worried that the plane ride would be miserable and the hotel bed wouldn't be comfortable and the list goes on and on. Thankfully, the 4 hour plane ride was just fine and the hotel added an extra layer of cushion to my bed so all was well there. I even managed to snorkel in a calm bay with the kids and walk around a mayan ruin site. I am so happy that I was able to enjoy this trip with them and not be miserable. Just 5 short weeks ago, I couldn't imagine feeling this well and was pretty down about the recovery. I am happy to report that things are great and I can finally see the light, as they say.

I am attaching a few pictures from the trip with my 'straight as an arrow' posture!

IMG_1298.jpg
    Mayanruins.jpg

Misty

Misty

Wow! Your doing good.....

There is no way I could have done Mexico at 8 weeks.....I was lucky to get next door.

I started diving for scoliosis around 20 years ago. Heck, I thought it was a good excuse....(smiley face)

I would get relief from being weightless before my surgeries, but after there was no spinal de-weighting. Did you notice this when you were in the water? It’s a different feeling for sure.

Congratulations

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
      Misty

I would get relief from being weightless before my surgeries, but after there was no spinal de-weighting. Did you notice this when you were in the water? It’s a different feeling for sure.

Ed
      Good afternoon Ed,

Being in the water felt amazing and I wonder if spending so much time in the pool didn't play a role here. I loved it so much, I have looked into possibly joining my local community center and in the future, I'd love to take some swim lessons to help me with my front crawl. Of course, that will all need to wait until the doc okays it, but I'm hopeful it's not too far out. Since I cannot run anymore, it has given me hope that I can find a new activity that I may enjoy just as much as running.

Misty

Comment

That is a miracle Misty! There is no way I could have done a trip at 8 weeks either. You are healing rapidly which is awesome. We have come a long way from the beginning.

Cheers to healing!
        Jana
        Diagnosed with idiopathic scoliosis at age 11
        Dr. Edgar Dawson of UCLA
        Braced and "stopped" below 50 degrees
        Age 25: 47 degrees, 48 degrees
        Age 38 (3 babies later): 60 degrees, 63 degrees and 2.5 inches shorter
        Age 41: 64 degrees, 70 degrees
        Dr. Gregory Mundis Jr. of Scripps Hospital, La Jolla CA
        June 2015-ALIF on L5-S1 for a slipped and degenerated disk
        June 14, 2016-T4-L4 spinal fusion with instrumentation
        Post-surgery: 16 degrees, 12 degrees and 2 inches taller

Comment

Misty, the pool probably did play a role....The fact that it was a Mexican pool (did you go to Playa?) made it that much better! (smiley face) Vacations are necessary for that sorely needed mental release and scoliosis surgery is quite the stressor. Our positive feelings and thoughts and surroundings really play an important role, I could go skiing back in the old days in major pain and be happy.

Its hard to say when we as adults get our releases. This would make for a good thread for posters to report to, of course grouped by age....

I don’t think I was ever actually released, I cant remember since I was so conservative during my recovery.....but I did go swimming around 7 months post, I do remember this since my arm was broken and was doing a side stroke that was just awful. I wont crawl because of my neck but backstroke works just fine.

Perhaps riding a bike would do it. It’s a way of covering ground and getting exercise without the jarring effects to our ankles, knees, and spine. I’m an old skier that’s paying his dues, my ankles, knees, and hips have experienced quite a bit of abuse all my life with all the hard landings. Don’t get me wrong, skiing is a great sport which doesn’t have to be as abusive on the body as I chose in my prior years. It can be a relaxing sport skiing on the blue runs.

Jana, talking about recovery, I’m dying for a report.....How is your eyesight now?

and the spine? (I almost forgot)

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Misty,

I am a believer in the benefits of Aqua-therapy. Because of knee-problems, it was determined that water therapy was the only avenue for my post-surgery rehab. After 3 months of Aqua-therapy, I was able to walk without a cane (as long as I wasn't carrying anything over about 10 lbs.). Then I joined a gym/indoor pool and followed my exercise regime for several years. Keep up the pool therapy, it will keep you strong. Joyce

Comment

Originally posted by mistybowe View Post
              Good afternoon all,

I just read Jana's post about a miracle happening on the 101st day, and I have to say that I had my own 'light at the end of the tunnel' moment on the 8th week. We just returned from a very relaxing week in Mexico and I truly feel amazing. I am finally in a spot where I have less pain than pre-surgery and I'm almost completely pain free. I am stiff in the morning after being in bed all night, but that is not really pain to me... just life and getting older, haha.

I think that a week swimming in a pool, napping on loungers and relaxing with the family was just what the doctor ordered for me and I am so grateful that it was a positive experience. I was so worried that the plane ride would be miserable and the hotel bed wouldn't be comfortable and the list goes on and on. Thankfully, the 4 hour plane ride was just fine and the hotel added an extra layer of cushion to my bed so all was well there. I even managed to snorkel in a calm bay with the kids and walk around a mayan ruin site. I am so happy that I was able to enjoy this trip with them and not be miserable. Just 5 short weeks ago, I couldn't imagine feeling this well and was pretty down about the recovery. I am happy to report that things are great and I can finally see the light, as they say.

I am attaching a few pictures from the trip with my 'straight as an arrow' posture!

[ATTACH]1896[/ATTACH]
              [ATTACH]1897[/ATTACH]

Misty
              WOW, you are phenomenal! Straight as an arrow! Keep up the great success! One thing I learned in my 66 years is that you must keep your body strong! (Which I have not). Joyce

Comment

Working...
              X