No announcement yet.

November 9th!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They do work well but I am thin like you and I found out if I am cold to add another layer and the vest works well for that. It is
    Like making your core warm. I also found out not to let the metal get cold. Since it is inside you might think that shouldn't happen but it does.
    Then the only thing that warms it is a hot tub soak. Stay warm you will feel better.
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Comment

Seroma..... Again....

Well the damn seroma came back with a vengeance... As luck would have it (again), I was able to make a last minute appointment with another surgeon. Same guy as the other day. He removed about 500cc of fluid the first time. Today, meaning about 15 minutes ago, he was able to suck out around 1250cc MORE! Crazy. I really hope this time takes care of whatever is going on inside me. The doc felt confident after the procedure, and you can see a major difference in the way my back looks now, compared to when I walked in here.
      I need to wear this corset as much as I can possibly stand it, to get the rest of this fluid to absorb into the right places. I'm also going to try to keep this bed I'm in at more of an upright angle, to get that fluid to drop down so the corset can do it's job.
      I finally also came to the realization that I'm trying to move to quickly through recovery. It's only been 3 weeks. I felt so good so soon, I thought I was ready for anything. Although I was getting reassurance from physical and occupational therapy that I was progressing so fast, and they even signed off on discharge papers to send me home. Then this seroma thing started to appear. Total reality check. I'm positive I've been moving in the wrong ways, and probably, definitely... Doing things my body isn't ready to be doing. I need to just relax and take the time I really need to heal this thing properly.

Edit: I typed all this yesterday around 5pm, but apparently never actually posted it.... Just sayin..
      Pre-surgery- 80°+ thoracic/ 60°+ lumbar
      Still unsure of post-op numbers
      37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
      Scoli pics

Comment

Wow! There is 946cc’s in a quart, and that was only 3 days....

How are you feeling besides the seroma? Did you bump up your activity and do you think it might have contributed to the increase in fluid?

Has this other surgeon mentioned anything about this continuing, coming back to manually drain on a regular basis, and testing for possible infection to rule that out?

I have read that these persistent seroma’s can create their own bursa sac....

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Mike...

Whatever you're doing, you're not causing the seroma. I think it's just anatomy. As far as complications go, this is definitely one of the really easy ones (assuming it doesn't eventually evolve into an abscess and/or infection. If the seroma continues to return, they may need to put a drain in to get it to resolve.

Have you been wearing the brace they gave you?

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Ed and Linda..

Yeah, have been wearing this brace/corset/girdle(ha!) since I went in the second time to have the seroma drained. I didn't wear it much after the first time it got drained, because when I had it on, it felt like it was just forcing the fluid up into other areas.

Since this second time he was able to drain SOOO much more fluid than the first time, I've had it on probably 95% or more of the time. Took it off to take a shower, and one other time just to let that area breathe a little. I do feel like we definitely made progress this second time. There's definitely still fluid in there, and you can see it, but it's very spongy, and it's staying in basically one area, just at the base of my spine. I'm really hoping by wearing this corset so much, my body will finally just absorb this, and I can move on.

I finally get to go see MY surgeon tomorrow. The two times I had the seroma drained, it was done by one of his colleagues. I'm certainly glad to meet with him, and get his opinion, but I'm also a bit nervous about his opinion. Ok, backing up a little, after the second drainage, when they got over 1000cc out, I sat up on the edge of the exam table, and apparently you could see what fluid was still in there dropping down due to gravity, and forming a bit of a pocket. I really wish I would've asked him to try to pull more fluid as I was in the sitting position, just to get as much as possible. But, hindsight is 20/20, right?

Ok back to tomorrow's appointment. I was originally told that normally they'd attempt to draw the fluid out manually with syringes, if that didn't work, I'd have a drain installed, and probably spend at least one night in the hospital. If the drain doesn't work, then the last option would be to surgically go back in and clean everything out, and I believe a heard him say they'd maybe close everything up a little tighter...? Does that make sense? Maybe that would lessen them size of the "pocket" the fluid continues to fill in? I'm ready hoping Dr Tribus tomorrow sees that there's not much fluid left, and either go in manually one more time, or go with the drain. Just not looking forward to more surgery.

I know I'm writing a lot here, hope I'm not rambling too much. I've got LOTS of time just sitting/laying in this rehab place. As far as that goes, occupational therapy has completely signed off on me, so I'm done with that. Physical therapy I'm still working with, and I'm assuming I will be for quite a while. I like it though, gets me up and moving. They timed me yesterday, that I walked roughly 967 feet in six minutes. Feels like I walked further than that, I thought I was almost speed walking!

Alright, enough for now. I'm am planning on going home for a few hours this afternoon, just for a change in scenery mostly. It's only a 15 minute car ride, so it's not horrible. It is supposed to snow about 2-4 inches here today, first snow of the year.

Have a great day everyone!
            37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
            Scoli pics

Comment

I was very torn on whether or not to post these pictures. My girlfriend made a great point about why I should, so I will. The first couple will be of what my back looked like when it was full of fluid from this seroma. Then you'll see one of me sitting upright immediately after they pulled out over 1000cc.
              Attached Files
              37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
              Scoli pics

Comment

Mike the photos don’t look bad....I was picturing a much larger sized fluid pocket.

967 feet in 6 minutes is moving along pretty good, heck your faster than me and I’m almost 9 years post. (smiley face) If your doing this pace, I guess the pain is reducing some. How is the pain now? Are you almost off meds?

I guess if it continues at the Niagara falls pace you mentioned, going back in for a drain might be the best thing.

At some point, you will heal and this will all be over. I am hoping this happens soon....

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Almost off the meds??!!! Haha, no way. I was on heavy duty narcotics for way too long prior to surgery to be able to kick them this fast. Right now I'm taking 30mg of oxycodone every 4 hours. Valium every 4 hours. 60mg morphine twice a day I believe. Although that one could possibly be three times a day. 300mg of gabapentin a couple times a day. Tylenol a couple times a day. Then I'm getting sennakot, iron, and vitamin c. A protein shake type thing a few times a day to try to keep my weight in check. I quit taking an anti depressant about 6 months ago and have lost 20-30 pounds since then. Yeah,I know, I've got a rough road ahead as far as getting off these narcotics. I'm very much looking forward to getting off them completely, but I know it'll be tough.
                  37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
                  Scoli pics

Comment

So... Couple good news items I think... I saw my surgeon Monday. He himself, not an intern, our fellow or anyone else did the job of draining that seroma again. He had me sitting upright this time, and removed another close to 1000cc. The good thing here is it felt completely different this time. Afterwards, he put a couple sponge type things over the area, taped them on there very tightly, and then wrapped 3 ace bandages around me. I'll be going to see him this coming Monday to see how that did. It's hard to tell with all the wound dressing on there, but I think it's keeping the fluid refilling to a minimum. Crossing my fingers.

After that visit with Dr Tribus, he recommended I just go home for good. So being out of the rehab facility and back home has been great. Had a nurse come by yesterday just for a general wellness and medication check. I'll be getting in home physical therapy for a while also, 1-3 times a week. Not quite sure when that'll start up.

So that's my update for now I guess. It's been fun the last couple nights being home and thinking of ways to setup the elf on the shelf for the 7 year old here.... Pretty funny stuff..
                    37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
                    Scoli pics

Comment

It is so good to get home and do normal happy things.
                      T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                      C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                      T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                      C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                      Right scapulectomy 6/15
                      Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                      To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                      Broken neck 9/28/2018
                      Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                      Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                      Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                      Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                      Osteotomy

Comment

I'm glad you are home, Mike. You sound very chipper! Onward and upward. :-)
                        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                          You sound very chipper!
                          Woah, careful, I think Mike is close to the Fargo area.....You know, chipper, Fargo?

Now since I was taking Percoset, I was leaning more in the direction of feeling perky, than chipper....Perky is one of the side effects of Percoset. Ohhh, Ya!

“Sounding chipper” with scoliosis hardware has a tendency to jam up the equipment.....We don’t do well in chippers.

That’s it, I’m out of chipper jokes....Maybe if I was up there, I could come up with more....

Ed
                          Attached Files

My x-rays

Comment

Lol Ed!

Didn't she win an Oscar for that role?
                            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Yes, she did...Frances McDormand. She did a good job in that role.

Its not easy coming up with scoliosis related jokes. Sometimes I think off the wall, and run across a comic strip that includes a beaver holding a martini, so I guess I’m still ok. He he

Its good to lighten up about scoliosis....when things get serious, I get serious, then after, the jokes roll.

It evens out the steam and eases the pain.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Nike I'm glad your home
                                Kara
                                Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
                                Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
                                T4-L2
                                Before 50T
                                After 20T

Comment

Working...
                                X