Type of surgical table? Swelling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Type of surgical table? Swelling?

Hi, I will probably need surgery this next coming year. I am curious what type of surgical table is used for scoliosis. I know there are many kinds and some are better than others. Also, did you have facial swelling after surgery? What about your eyes? Did you have any issues post op from the swelling? I am super scared of surgery and am trying to ask anything I can. Thank you so much!!

Hmm, I'm not sure what type of table was used. My surgeon put my head in a traction halo so I did not have any pressure on my face and did not lay on my face. The sides of my head were sore which I didn't even notice until my surgeon visited me at the hospital and pointed it out. So I had zero swelling, no face puffiness or bruising. That was a relief! Just ask you surgeon what they do. Good luck!!
    Diagnosed with idiopathic scoliosis at age 11
    Dr. Edgar Dawson of UCLA
    Braced and "stopped" below 50 degrees
    Age 25: 47 degrees, 48 degrees
    Age 38 (3 babies later): 60 degrees, 63 degrees and 2.5 inches shorter
    Age 41: 64 degrees, 70 degrees
    Dr. Gregory Mundis Jr. of Scripps Hospital, La Jolla CA
    June 2015-ALIF on L5-S1 for a slipped and degenerated disk
    June 14, 2016-T4-L4 spinal fusion with instrumentation
    Post-surgery: 16 degrees, 12 degrees and 2 inches taller

Comment

You would think it would be a standard operating room table
      Kara
      Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
      Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
      T4-L2
      Before 50T
      After 20T

Comment

Originally posted by Jjohnsonphd View Post
        Hmm, I'm not sure what type of table was used. My surgeon put my head in a traction halo so I did not have any pressure on my face and did not lay on my face. The sides of my head were sore which I didn't even notice until my surgeon visited me at the hospital and pointed it out. So I had zero swelling, no face puffiness or bruising. That was a relief! Just ask you surgeon what they do. Good luck!!
        That's great!! I'm hoping my doctor can use something like that! How does the halo work to hold your head up?

Comment

I didn't see it, I actually remember just being wheeled into the ER right after the anesthesiologist gave me some relaxer and don't remember anything. The area above my ear was sore so I think it just screws info your head. It probably was quite a scene to be in!
          Dr. Edgar Dawson of UCLA

Comment

Here you go. Designed for O and C arm access.

http://www.mizuhosi.com/products/mod...l-surgery-top/

http://www.mizuhosi.com/products/spine/proaxis/

Positioning is very important.

I had some swelling, but it goes down....

Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

This is exactly why we need Ed on this forum. He is literally a wealth of knowledge!
              Dr. Edgar Dawson of UCLA

Comment

I had asked my surgeon about the table prior to my surgery. I wanted to make sure my face was down in some sort of head rest with a "hole" for the face, versus them having my head turned to lay flat (which I highly doubted they would do anyway). I was afraid of neck pain afterwards.

He said my face would be face down in a head rest. I don't really know what the rest of the table looked like. But, one interesting thing he told me was that the surgical table was mounted on a mirror. So, during the surgery they can look down and see the patient's face. He said that the patient's face tells them a lot during surgery. At first I thought he was joking, but then I thought he's not the kind of person who would joke like that, and it wasn't a good time to be joking as my surgery was the very next day.

Has anyone else heard of mirrors being used?

Kathy
                Decompression surgery L4/L5
                April 3, 2015
                Twin Cities Spine Center - Dr. Joseph Perra
                Fused from T11 - Sacrum anterior/posterior
                June 24, 2016 - 55 years old at surgery
                Twin Cities Spine Center - Dr. Joseph Perra
                Before Surgery: 42 degrees lumbar, 28 degrees thoracic
                After Surgery: 10 degrees lumbar, ?? Thoracic
                2 inches taller

Comment

I don't know about everywhere, but at UCSF they most commonly use a Jackson table. It depends entirely on what has to be done, and the surgeon's preference.

Be careful about asking too many questions. I've known several people who asked question after question and eventually freaked themselves out. If you're super nervous, perhaps you're not actually ready to undergo surgery. There's nothing wrong with putting it off for awhile.

--Linda
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thank you so much!!! Y'all have been so helpful!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sdm52980 View Post
                      Hi, I will probably need surgery this next coming year. I am curious what type of surgical table is used for scoliosis. I know there are many kinds and some are better than others. Also, did you have facial swelling after surgery? What about your eyes? Did you have any issues post op from the swelling? I am super scared of surgery and am trying to ask anything I can. Thank you so much!!
                      I don't remember the OR at all and didn't see the table, but I was lying on my stomach for 9 hours and had pretty severe swelling in my face. Both eyes were swollen shut and my lips were so swollen my husband couldn't understand anything I was trying to say.

It wa significantly better by the next day and nearly gone altogether by day 3 post op.

Comment

Working...
                      X