First day home from the hospital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Golfer,

You just had the largest orthopedic surgery a human being can have! It is a massive undertaking for your body to heal and it is a given you will have a lot of pain. I would be totally pissed off if my doctor left me in a lurch. You are not drug seeking, you need pain medication after major surgery.

You could try again at his office and explain you are needing adequate pain control. I would also call the nurse out on the ibruprofen, in a polite way, that you are not allowed to take that after a spinal fusion. Many peopleswitch to a pain management doctor, if you have one in your area, that would work as well. Don't give up!

Jana
    Diagnosed with idiopathic scoliosis at age 11
    Dr. Edgar Dawson of UCLA
    Braced and "stopped" below 50 degrees
    Age 25: 47 degrees, 48 degrees
    Age 38 (3 babies later): 60 degrees, 63 degrees and 2.5 inches shorter
    Age 41: 64 degrees, 70 degrees
    Dr. Gregory Mundis Jr. of Scripps Hospital, La Jolla CA
    June 2015-ALIF on L5-S1 for a slipped and degenerated disk
    June 14, 2016-T4-L4 spinal fusion with instrumentation
    Post-surgery: 16 degrees, 12 degrees and 2 inches taller

Comment

From the new x-ray, can you estimate my new curve?
      Also, I've been off of pain medicine for a few days, and feeling much better. I keep accidentally twisting, I hope I haven't harmed anything.
      -Golfer
      First diagnosed July 2015, 40°
      Follow up March 2016, 47°

Fused T4-L1 July 11, 2016 - age 18
      Pre-surgery curve: 47°+
      Not sure corrected curve yet

Comment

And also.. I called my surgeon and asked him about the ibuprofen and he said that it's fine to take, and anyone recommending against it is 30 years outdated. He also gave me a lecture on addiction to prescription drugs, etc etc. Anyways, I'm pain free now and it's been almost 2 days since I've taken anything at all.

Comment

Originally posted by 1998golfer View Post
          He also gave me a lecture on addiction to prescription drugs, etc etc. Anyways, I'm pain free now and it's been almost 2 days since I've taken anything at all.
          I had a feeling he wanted to see you. ...Well, this is really good news! and off everything at 11 days at age 18. I am going to try to remember that.

Throw your x-rays up, would love to see them.

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I called my surgeon and asked him about the ibuprofen and he said that it's fine to take, and anyone recommending against it is 30 years outdated.
            If you get a chance, would you ask your surgeon for a reference on this? I can't remember ever hearing that a surgeon gave approval for ibuprofen before the 3 to 6 month postop mark.
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Glad to hear how well you're doing! Remember to take it easy and not overdo things for a bit.

I'm guessing your curve at around 10 degrees or less. Looks beautiful!
              Gayle, age 50
              Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
              Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
              Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
              2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
              2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Titaniumed - X-rays are in the first post of this thread

LindaRacine - I got the impression that he was irritated at me for questioning him on it, because of stuff found online (I'm sure they get similar stuff a lot). He does only pediatric patients, I'm probably one of the oldest people he's ever done this on, might that have anything to do with it?

Comment

LindaRacine - I got the impression that he was irritated at me for questioning him on it, because of stuff found online (I'm sure they get similar stuff a lot). He does only pediatric patients, I'm probably one of the oldest people he's ever done this on, might that have anything to do with it?
                  Hi...

Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory. Research has shown that anti-inflammatory medication inhibits fusion. I searched yesterday, when I saw your post, and couldn't find anything new on the subject. Kids do heal faster than adults, but as far as I know, they have the same restriction usually.

--Linda
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

And also.. I called my surgeon and asked him about the ibuprofen and he said that it's fine to take, and anyone recommending against it is 30 years outdated. He also gave me a lecture on addiction to prescription drugs, etc etc. Anyways, I'm pain free now and it's been almost 2 days since I've taken anything at all.

I cannot believe that my surgeon , who is in early 40's, is 30 years outdated regarding ibuprofen. He operates on both adults and children.
                    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                      I cannot believe that my surgeon , who is in early 40's, is 30 years outdated regarding ibuprofen. He operates on both adults and children.
                      I don't know. He's been doing this for 30 years, and only once had anyone with bad complications (and it was a kid with a 100° curve, bladder something trouble). When I heard it from him, I decided to trust him on it. Anyways, I'm off of them now so.. I'm guessing no harm done, at worst delayed the fusion by a bit.

Comment

That’s right..... Its such a good looking x-ray, I forgot. I am going to say the same thing as Gayle, 10 degrees or less.

11 days after surgery, age 18, off meds. I find this amazing.....

What kind of pain do you have now? Do you really need to take anything at all?

Do try to take things easy for a while....you don’t want to have any setbacks.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                          That’s right..... Its such a good looking x-ray, I forgot. I am going to say the same thing as Gayle, 10 degrees or less.

11 days after surgery, age 18, off meds. I find this amazing.....

What kind of pain do you have now? Do you really need to take anything at all?

Do try to take things easy for a while....you don’t want to have any setbacks.

Ed
                          No pain... Had a little yesterday after I used my legs to push down the footrest thing on a recliner, but that's my fault and seems to have gone away already.
                          And awesome @ th under 10° I'll ask my surgeon at the follow up appt (I'm assuming they'll also take another x-ray then?), but that's not for another week or so

Comment

I went in for my check up today, 22 days post, and he said everything looks good, cleared me to ride my bike, swim, and lift up to 20lbs. Had a good 45min bike ride, my back was sure sore after that.
                            He told me that in addition to scoliosis, I had kyphoscoliosis, my back was too straight and that he fixed that too.
                            However, my shoulders are very out of whack and my neck is now curved. He said to work on my posture and try to keep them level, and that he might have to extend the fusion up to straighten it out if it doesn't on it's own. He seemed baffled at why it's doing what it is.
                            Here's the before/after on the same type of xray, and the side view. I'm curious how bad the kyphoscoliosis was.

Before back: http://i.imgur.com/mdaDMmw.jpg
                            Today back: http://i.imgur.com/33VXUt3.jpg

Before side: http://i.imgur.com/MdpN4cC.jpg
                            Today side: http://i.imgur.com/VbRcwdY.jpg

Thanks for the help!

Comment

He told me that in addition to scoliosis, I had kyphoscoliosis, my back was too straight and that he fixed that too.
                              I see that. In the before side view, your spine was very straight from around L1 going up into your thoracic.

Hard to say, your kyphosis element didn’t look terribly bad. I can show you a WHOLE lot worse as far as kyphosis goes.

The thing is that he had to stop it. Kyphosis is serious, and yes many kyphosis patients can suffer with neck issues.

I don’t know how one would classify your kyphosis.....possibly a “high” kyphosis? Lacking the typical “mid thoracic” round back that many have.

I don’t think I’ve seen any classification for kyphosis. Like a King or Lenke classification for scoliosis.

Next time you see your surgeon, ask him if your kyphosis was more serious than your scoliosis.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

I'm surprised that he called it kyphosis. You were actually hypokyphotic. That is, you had too little kyphosis. It's relatively common in teens with thoracic curves. The postop sagittal films look really good.

I hope that you're successful in straightening out your cervical spine. It looks pretty uncomfortable.

--Linda

Comment

Working...
                                X