To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Comment

Pain is always here. Just lurking around the corner.

I hope that everyone who is in pain gets some relief.

We have good days and not so good days. I wish that we all could get good days more than not

Melissa

Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
        You have come through a long, arduous fire and now are faced with another blaze. Like I tell my girls, you have a 100 percent success rate of getting this far and bouncing back from adversity. Embrace that laurel.
        I don’t know if I would consider it a blaze.....maybe its because we get stronger as we go along. Yes, that’s what it is.

As we live with scoliosis, we become educated with our affliction. This knowledge helps somewhat, I guess it depends on the person. Some of us can get emotionally upset, hopefully its for a short period till we pull our bootstraps up. This is where the big bunnies come in.

Being an old Rush fan, they used these huge inflatable bunnies in an effort to “lighten things up” on the Presto album.....(I saw this show many years ago) This after the heaviness of the Grace Under Pressure album which included lyrics about the holocaust which their parents survived.....This was a band that made you think about things.....

Seriously, bunnies!

I found an old photo....see attachment

Ed
        Attached Files
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Good luck tamera
          Kara
          Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
          Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
          T4-L2
          Before 50T
          After 20T

Comment

Oh Ed you always make me smile.

Right now I am actually in Florida for my little sisters wedding. I have been pushing the pain to the back and trudging forward so that the trip is not horrible for everyone else. I take breaks when needed and naps along with early bedtimes. I come home Wednesday and am so ready so I have my own bed and comfort.

I go soon to Dr. Kelly and I am ready for that as well.

Thanks for the prayers, humor, and thoughts.

Tamena
            Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Hi Tam, any news yet?
              T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
              C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
              T2--T10 fusion 2/11
              C 4-5 fusion 11/14
              Right scapulectomy 6/15
              Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
              Broken neck 9/28/2018
              Osteotomy

Comment

Sorry guys! It's been a crazy ride with pain. I had an EMG (which the insurance company is requiring) today. The doctor who performed the test checked the nerves at L3,L4, and L5 and said that the nerves are overworking which means something is compressing them. They are not too far gone so if we fix the issue the damage should not be permanent. So now I wait for Dr. Kelly's call this week. I am hoping the insurance will now let us skip the mylogram and just fix the rods. Hopefully will know more in the next few days. Till then it's a keep on keeping on.

Tamena

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Surgery is October 19. Won't know 100% till they get in, but either both rods will be replaced or they will just add a third rod and mend the broken. If bones are not solid then bone substitute will be added on top of it all.

Braced till age 15

Comment

Good luck. Hope all goes well
                    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

I hope it helps. Enough is an understatement. Please update us. Was the EMG difficult?
                      T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                      C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                      T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                      C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                      Right scapulectomy 6/15
                      Broken neck 9/28/2018
                      Osteotomy

Comment

The EMG was easy because I felt nothing. Not that that was good. They didn't do a full EMG. There were specific levels that they tested so it made it a bit easier. The mylogram was also easy this time. I had a great doctor that was able to find a spot in between all the hardware and hit it on the first try and I didn't feel a thing.

Now is the waiting game which we all know is the worst part.

Tamena

Braced till age 15

Comment

Well, hello all! I've been reading but not posting. So I though I'd give you an update on my case.

I had revision surgery on October 19th. It went as good as any surgery can go. I did have two broken rods. The first on the right at L3/L4 and the second on the left above the pelvic. Also,both pelvic screws had motion to them. Dr. Kelly found that there was non-union through the entire lumbar area.

He cut the rods from T12 down and replaced them on both sides. He then added an extra rod at the L3/L4 area to give added protection. He filled in the holes from the pelvic screws and added two new and stronger pelvic screws. Finally the BMP was added to help with fusion.

He did tell me that the pain I experienced when trying to walk was caused by the moving pelvic screws and the leg/foot pain was probably due to the rods scraping and tiny pieces being dropped on the nerves. He gave me some of the hardware to keep I had told him I just wanted one of each type he took out. I will attach a picture of what he gave me.

The stay at Barnes was a nightmare this time. Meds were not given on time. Had to ask for that cath bag and drains to be dumped. Was in tears when meds were brought over an hour late. Asked every hour for ten hours for someone to push my iv so I could walk a bit, which no one ever would. Pooped the bed three times after being given a suppository and would call saying I needed help going to the bathroom and no one would come for an hour. In fact my incision was not checked one time by staff and I came home with the original dressing from the opperating room. I just removed it today after reading that the steri strips can be left to air and I had blistered where the tegaderm had irritated it from being onso long.

I was excited to leave the nightmare on Saturday but waited three hours just for the nurse to check us out. I have gotten better pain management and rest since I got home. Have not slept much due to the meds but the rest is welcomed. I have been doing the famous Ed smoothie so that I keep the bowels moving. I don't go back for post-op till the middle of January, Dr. Kelly was serious about taking things slowly this time. He didn't leave the door open for me to beg my way back into the office early this time. Smart man!

Well, there is my book to catch you all up at once since only a handful are my Facebook friends. Talk soon, read everyday.
                          Tamena
                          Attached Files

Braced till age 15

Comment

Tamena,
                            Thanks for posting with an update. It sounds like your surgery went well. Dr. Kelly assisted with my surgery in 2011. I can't believe the terrible experience you had at Barnes! Best of luck with a smooth recovery.
                            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                            Rib Hump-GONE!
                            Age-60 at the time of surgery
                            Now 66
                            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Glad you are on the other side of yet another surgery. Hope all goes well from here.
                              T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                              C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                              T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                              C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                              Right scapulectomy 6/15
                              Broken neck 9/28/2018
                              Osteotomy

Comment

Tam, I hope the pain isn’t too bad....

So sorry about this hospital experience.....Too bad I wasn’t hanging around, I would have been useful in making sure things got done....(smiley face)

Try to take things easy. You know what to do....and not to do.

Ed
                                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                                X