No announcement yet.

I've heard from Susannajon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He brought his whole team, and it was so endearing. He took each of the girls for a spin down the hall and around the nurses station, and the surgical team followed behind like puppies at the feet of mama dog. He talked to each girl about what thay could expect over the next couple of weeks, and what he expected of the girls for them to heal properly. It was great.
    Susanna
    ~~~~~~
    Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

that is so nice that he did that. He didn't take nicole for a walk
      Tell me what he said about what to expect and what he expected of them to heal properly. I'm curious.
      thanks and i'm so glad that everything went well !

Comment

Hi Jennifer,

I just found out that Chava chats with Nicole on spinekids! Isn't that funny? He told our girls to walk a little every day (but no marathons). He just reminded them to avoid twisting or bending, reminded them to lift no more than 5-8 lbs, and to lay off NSAIDs. He said to take their pain meds if they needed them, with the goal to be off of the meds by the 4 week check up. That's about it. He also encouraged them about how well they were doing, and how proud he was of their progress. It was very encouraging for both of them. I'm sure he would have done the same for your Nicole if he'd had the time before she went home.

Susanna
        Susanna
        ~~~~~~
        Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

That is so great that the chava and your daughter had each other to go through this together and i'm sure they will keep in contact with each other after this. It is something they'll both never forget and they did it together. It is funny how they are both recovering the same also. I think that is so great. Wait, what is NSAIDS??
          It's funny because when we left the hospital and went for our 3 1/2 wk check up they said no bending, lifting, twisting then at the 4 month check it seemed like he was surprised that she never bent over. She did it there for the first time.
          well, anyway, so glad to hear your going home. Write me from home when you get a chance. I'm sure tomorrow at home will be a little bit of an adjustment for her. Just find a comfy spot for her, you're the one who helped me with nicole when she got home.
          jennifer

Comment

Hello there,
            Sure glad to hear the girls are doing so well. It is encouraging to me. Crystal was admitted this afternoon, with surgery at 7:30am in the morning. I am shaking like a leaf, but am very comfortable with things. The staff here are wonderful. And I thank all of you for your words of encouragement.

Give the girls lots of hugs for us. They are in our prayers as they continue to recover from their surgeries.

'til later,
            Nikki

Comment

Susanna,

I'm go glad things are going well for both girls. Remember: pain meds must be taken before leaving the hospital so the ride home will be more bearable! I think it is great the girls have someone to recover with. As for the restrictions, they sound like what Jamie's were at discharge.

Tell the girls to keep up the good work!

Mary Lou
              Last edited by ; 04-29-2005, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Hi Mary Lou,

We made it home just fine. We stole a couple of pillows from the hospital and put them on the front seat. We gave her the pain meds about an hour before we left to make the wheelchair ride bearable, and I just drove very carefully, looking out for pot holes and such. She snoozed most of the way, and it wasn't so bad. It feels so good to be home!!!

Jennifer,

My little one climbed right into her own bed, curled up with her "Comfort-U" body pillow and was out like a light. She tougher than I was after major surgery, let me tell you! I only had a 5 minute ride home from the hospital after my surgery and I was a basket case! NSAIDs are non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, naproxen, Excedrin, Motrin Sinus, Pamprin, aspirin, anything other than Tylenol (Acetaminophen). Basically they can take tylenol or narcotics for pain. The rest of it should wait for their fusion to be solid.

Nikki, I wish I could be there to hold your hand, but please know I am with you in spirit. I am sure everything will go well, as you are in the best of hands. Please feel comfortable asking any question, no matter how personal, over the next few weeks. PM if you need me for anything. I am here for you.

Susanna
                Susanna
                ~~~~~~

Comment

hi susanna
                  so glad you guys made it home safe and sound. She is a trooper! I cant' believe it's all over. That is great that she went in her own bed and i told my husband you guys were coming home and i was wrong about my nicole being there 7 days it was 8. What a difference. I'm sure it feels so good to be home and now being on the other side to be able to give support about others going into surgery and what to expect.
                  Keep in touch
                  Jennifer

Comment

Susanna,
                    Glad you guys got home okay. The recovery will get better every day, at least thats what everyone here is telling me. I will keep you in our prayers.

I am just going to do one post on the Getting Ready for Surgery post. I am going to try to get a nap.

'til later,
                    Nikki

Comment

Wow your home thats great . Theirs nothing like your owe bed to recover in. Hopefully Nicoles surgery goes just as well. Anything I should know before we go. Did you shower in the room. Where did you eat I heard you can order in. My husband is going to stay two nights at the helmsley medical tower. The cost was a lot less then the belair. Than he will go back and forth from home. It's about 100 miles roundtrip. So glad to hear things want well.
                      Thanks for sharing your experience.
                      Theresa
                      THERESA

Comment

hi theresa
                        my daughter had surgery at hospital for special surgery a few months ago. We were there for 8 days and yes, i was able to shower in the room and for eating there was a deli right on the corner, so when nicole was sleeping i would tell the nurses i'll be right back and take a walk there, which the fresh air felt good anyway and it was good to get a little break. Towards the end, when we were feeling like it was starting to feel like home there the nurses gave me their book on menus and we ordered chinese food and they delivered it to us.
                        Jennifer

Comment

Thanks Jennifer
                          We did one of are last tests today.
                          We go on the 24th to see Dr. Boachie
                          Then we also need to see Pediatrics on the 5th floor.
                          When you went to Pediatrics the week before surgery what did they do????
                          Thanks Theresa
                          THERESA

Comment

Hi theresa,

When we went for our pre-op, we had done a lot of the tests already, so they just reviewed the results, examined her, took blood and urine, and discussed what we'd need to do to prepare for surgery. It was not a big deal. We had already done the echo-cardiogram, EKG, MRIs, pulminary testing, and blood donation in our home town, and had the results sent to the hospital.

I have a list of things you should have for the hospital, and things for home. Let me know if you want me to send it to you.

Susanna
                            Susanna
                            ~~~~~~

Comment

hi theresa
                              good luck with pre-op next week. I think susanna covered everything you'll be doing there. It's just a long boring time with lots of waiting around. Tell your daughter nothing is painful, except she probably won't like when they have to do a blood test, but if she gave blood she shouldn't mind at all.
                              susanna,
                              did she need any blood during surgery? Just curious?
                              jennifer

Comment

Jennifer, Boachie used the cell saver to recycle her blood, however she did use the unit she had donated as well. My daughter had anterior surgery, where they go through the side and collapse the lung, so maybe that's why she had more blood loss?

Susanna
                                Susanna
                                ~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X