Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
    So post #6 isn't her radiograph?
    I'll look at post #11. I must have missed it. I was basing everything I said on post #6...
    Post #6 is Spitfire.

Linda posted a radiograph in post #11 to demonstrate rotation in degenerative scoliosis but I can't see any rotation. I did not look for rotation in Spitfire's radiograph though I assume it is there because she has AIS by definition.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
      I saw Linda's post on post #11. Those aren't Spitfire's radiographs. Are those the ones you are looking at for rotation?
      Yes. I wasn't commenting on Spitfire's radiographs
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
        Post #6 is Spitfire.

Linda posted a radiograph in post #11 to demonstrate rotation in degenerative scoliosis but I can't see any rotation. I did not look for rotation in Spitfire's radiograph though I assume it is there because she has AIS by definition.
        It's not terribly easy to see, but L2 is rotated. As in idiopathic scoliosis, degenerative scoliosis curves can be barely rotated all the way up to greatly rotated.
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Since Sharon said she hoped some other adults would chime in, here I am! Spitfire- love your name! So sorry about the difficulties you are having. I was never DXd as a teen with scoli (slipped through a crack) but do remember having other kids, when we were swimming, note that I had a "cool looking" spine because it was curvy. (how dumb!) I am sure I would have hidden it from my parents anyway, because when you're a teen, why would you want to do something??? Through my adult life I plodded on, not knowing anything should be done such as monitoring. I just know that my doctor, when I was pregnant at age 27, said "BTW, do you know you have scoliosis?" Fast forward another 27 years... and yes, many times my back bothered me during those years, plus the years before 27. When I was 54 I mentioned to my PCP that it was killing me by the end of every day and assumed it was arthritis. He took a look and ordered x-rays for a base line. From my 46º curve then (when I saw my SRS scoli doc), it progressed to 52º within 2 years, when I opted for surgery. I know the 5% error thing, but each year it was worse and the same doc was reading the x-rays, which were taken at the same time of day. 46-48-52. So I'm not sure about this concept of not progressing. I thought I had read (could be wrong) that it often progressed with the menopause years. Spitfire may be too young for that, but obviously something was happening to me in my 40s and early 50s. Now I think my AIS was triggered by the CMT I've recently been diagnosed with, so I'm not sure how that weaves into the perspective/category.

I will try to post some x-rays and even in the upper thoracic pic, you can see the difference in space between my ribs. That is just my compensatory curve there. I had one above and one below my major curve, so I looked straight. Ha ha! 29-52-29. Anyway, just wanted to say mine progressed in my adult years. Sorry, I'm not good at posting pics...

Best wishes as you try to find solutions. You've gotten a lot of good advice.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...20x-rays/1.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...20x-rays/3.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...20x-rays/5.jpg
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

The lumbar X-ray is from 2010. The full X-ray is from 2016.

The curve has definitely changed, but when *I* measure, I only get 37 degrees. My doctor is a orthopedist who specializes in pain management. He has never measured my curve. My PT is the one who measured it as 42 degrees. The truth may be in the middle.

2010-01-20 - AP.jpg

2016-02-03 - AP All.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by spitfire View Post
              The lumbar X-ray is from 2010. The full X-ray is from 2016.

The curve has definitely changed, but when *I* measure, I only get 37 degrees. My doctor is a orthopedist who specializes in pain management. He has never measured my curve. My PT is the one who measured it as 42 degrees. The truth may be in the middle.

[ATTACH]1836[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1835[/ATTACH]
              I can definitely see the progression. It looks like you have some curve in your lower T-spine, too.Those of us under 50os are NOT safe from progression as the medical community likes to think. Have you been evaluated by a scoliosis doctor?
              Take a look at mine on the thread (I have some imaging CD's). You can especially see the progression from 2005 to the 2015's.

Take care,
              Rohrer01
              Last edited by rohrer01; 04-01-2016, 12:01 AM.
              Be happy!
              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
              but we are alive today!

Comment

My Schroth therapist pointed out the (small) upper curve. I haven't had a full X-ray since the mid-80's so I have no idea when that started. I do think I don't lean as much now as I did in my teens and 20's.

I had a double MRI yesterday - thoracic and lumbar spine. (Double the fun; double the price.) Last summer and fall my right floating ribs hurt so badly I wanted to claw them out myself. They don't hurt as often or as intensely now, probably because I don't move/exercise as much. I doubt the MRI will show anything. I've got to overcome my fear of pain and start moving again!

I feel a little better knowing (thinking) the curve is under 40 and hasn't progressed quite as rapidly as I previously thought. Hopefully, I will just need observation for now. There are two doctors in my town on the SRS list. One trained in St. Louis. I have the impression (perhaps incorrectly) that he mainly sees much older patients due to his hospital association, but he might be my best option. He is the only doctor with adult scoliosis information on his office website. I would feel better knowing someone was monitoring this.

Comment

Working...
                X