Using braces for mild scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using braces for mild scoliosis

Hello folks, if one were to have very mild spine bending , would a brace be able to fix it, I'm talking 10 degree bend or less

Curve of less than 10 degrees is not even scoliosis. You should google basic things like this before you ask because these questions are pretty bizzare. Scoliosis of less than 30 degrees in someone who is done growing most likely doesn't even need observation.

Comment

Why would you need to fix a 10 degree curve? It is almost certainly not noticeable and isn't likely to cause problems. Also, braces are no fun for people with bigger curves who might benefit from them. I would predict the average time people with a 10 degree curve for wearing there brace is 1 minute before they tossed it. Last, bracing is not capable of fixing curves. At best they can stop progression in growing kids and stop pain in adults. No more.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by boogaloo View Post
        Curve of less than 10 degrees is not even scoliosis. You should google basic things like this before you ask because these questions are pretty bizzare. Scoliosis of less than 30 degrees in someone who is done growing most likely doesn't even need observation.
        If you could read properly you would see I mentioned 10 degrees, which if you are even able to google it, is considered scoliosis.

Comment

There is a few degree swing in the measurement. I would just assume you don't have scoliosis if I were you.
          Last edited by Pooka1; 02-09-2016, 03:27 PM.
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

If I recall, he said he could bend it out to 10o. It would depend on your age (if you're still growing) and if it's causing you pain. I can't see any correction coming from a brace in an adult. But, there was a woman on here that wore a Spincor brace for pain relief as an adult (I think that's what she wore it for). I'm thinking it was Mamamax if you want to read her thread. She's not here regularly anymore as far as I know. I don't believe she got any correction and these braces are VERY expensive AND it's hard to find a provider that would be able to properly fit you for one.

From my own experience I thought I could relieve some of my upper back pain by getting one of those very tight women's apparel that is designed to hold the side and front bulges in while allowing the bust to show (meant to be worn with a bra). I just wanted some upper back support because the pain was driving me nuts. So I went to an upscale store that sold the good ones (they have a built in criss-cross support across the upper back). I no sooner got into that thing and the pain was so excruciating I couldn't get it off fast enough. And it was HARD to get out of!!! Nope, I'll never try bracing for "my" scoli. That get-up was made from spandex and elastic, too! Wow, thought I'd forgotten all about that one. eek!
            Be happy!
            We don't know what tomorrow brings,
            but we are alive today!

Comment

Scoliosisbro,

I just re-read your first post. Are you saying you have a 10o curve or are able to bend it out to 10o? Is it for you or your child? There is a +/- 5o range of error. So a ten degree could actually be a five or a 15 degree curve. Do you understand what I'm saying? If it's a five, then it's not scoliosis. I would have it measured by more than one practitioner.

If it's for a child, I would watch it more aggressively the younger the child is. For instance I have a grandson with an anterior rib hump that had <10o on x-ray for swallowing something he shouldn't have. He pediatrician was watching it closely (he was four at the time), but not with x-rays. He had an x-ray for something else later on when he was seven and the curve was gone. I'm still watching because it's very common in my family and he still has the anterior rib hump. I bend him over now and then and look for a dorsal rib hump so that I could tell his mom if I saw one developing.
              Be happy!
              but we are alive today!

Comment

Me again:

On the other end of the spectrum, my DIL was diagnosed right after my daughter (they were in the same grade and school friends). My daughter was diagnosed at about 15o and my DIL was diagnosed at 11o. My daughter consoled her as my DIL was very upset. She informed her that she, too, had scoliosis and that I (her mom) had it, too. My daughter stabilized, never needed a brace, nothing. My DIL started to progress rapidly and was braced that same year and needed surgery at age 16. Everyone is different.
                Be happy!
                but we are alive today!

Comment

It's doubtful that any insurance company would pay for a brace for someone with a 10 degree curve.
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                    It's doubtful that any insurance company would pay for a brace for someone with a 10 degree curve.
                    The DIL progressed to well over 20o within a few months of diagnosis. That's why the insurance paid for the brace. She had a rapidly progressing curve that went from nothing to something, BAM! Poor kid. :-(

Does ANY insurance pay for Spincor? I was under the impression that at least most do not. My DIL had a plaster cast mold and a hard plastic brace made from that. They were literally pushing her ribs and taking x-rays to make sure there was correction in the brace before her custom brace was made. It didn't do her any good as she continued to progress in-brace. She was also rotating like mad..

I don't know for sure what Scoliosisbro's question was or for whom... But I don't think insurance would pay to try to correct that small of a curve. PT would be his best bet if he is done growing. I'd bet anything that building a very strong core and back muscles would make that curve disappear. I don't want to drive this guy away by making him feel stupid. There are no dumb questions as long as they are sincere.
                    Be happy!
                    but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
                    X