Scoliosis vs pectus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoliosis vs pectus

Hello, how can you tell whether your problem is scoliosis or pectus excavatum/ carinatum? For me, main problem is the 2 ribs below the chest are too far out one side and too far in the other, plus there is one hip + shoulder higher than the other. This seems to be whats causing a shortness of breath when exercising , my chiropractor said my upper spine curved towards the right side, could this causing the ribs on the right side to be sticking further out?

You are never going to get correct answers from a chiro. You have to ask a board certified orthopedic surgeon.

How big is your curve? If small but you have a significant pectus excavatum, it may be the latter causing you breathing problems. Chiros are completely out of their league on these issues. Stop wasting time and go to an MD.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Gotcha, I have it arranged.

11 degrees curved to the left. Can small curves cause a noticeable difference between the 2 sides of the front area of rib cage? The left side is 1cm further forward. If not it is most likely a submerged rib.
      Last edited by scoliosisbro; 02-09-2016, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scoliosisbro View Post
        Gotcha, I have it arranged.

11 degrees curved to the left. Can small curves cause a noticeable difference between the 2 sides of the front area of rib cage? The left side is 1cm further forward. If not it is most likely a submerged rib.
        Did the chiro measure that? Ignore it.

I am guessing you have rib deformities associated with your pectus. Your curve seems too small to produce anything noticeable.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
        X