No announcement yet.

Scared but scheduled for T4-pelvis Fusion Oct 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for the doctor but you absolutely should not go through this alone. As they say things happen for a reason. You can't go to a hotel alone, you would have been too weak to care for yourself. It would be dangerous.
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Comment

im sorry for Dr Lenke i know how he feels i had 3 broken bones in my life. im sorry your surgery got postponed
      Kara
      Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
      Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
      T4-L2
      Before 50T
      After 20T

Comment

Thanks Kennedy!

Jackie, I agree about things happening for a reason. I was trying really hard to make it all work. First thing Monday morning, I was planning on calling the insurance company to see if they would cover rehab. Dr. Lenke's nurse said I would have been evaluated in the hospital, but given my age, health, etc. she didn't think I would qualify. I think she was giving me way too much credit!!! I've realized now that going to the hotel would have been a really bad idea and glad it didn't come to that!

Gayle, you are absolutely correct, I am relieved. I was way more understanding when I got the call this time. I feel badly for Dr. Lenke, but at least I have another chance to get my ducks in a row (all 4 of them)!! And while I've been trying to do yoga, I'm hoping to step-up my physical fitness before my new surgical date. I feel really badly for his nurse Angie, too...what a logistical nightmare!!! She said she had lots of calls to make. I can only imagine!!!
        3/8/16 Dr. Lenke, NY Presbyterian The Allen Hospital
        PSSIF T4-SACRUM/ILIUM, TLIF L5-S1

Comment

Mom, now you have more time to line up those ducks! And....the weather in NYC might actually be a little bit better than in January. I cannot imagine how stressful your last minute planning must have felt like or how scared you really thought being alone in a strange hotel felt. Now, you have more control over the situation and can set up your support system for your recovery. And....your daughter does not need to miss the first week of school.

Keep us posted on how you are doing. Strengthen those quads!

Sending a virtual hug,
          Susan
          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
          2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
          2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
          2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
          2018: Removal L4,5 screw
          2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

I am sorry about Dr. Lenke's broken ankle, but quite relieved for you. You will have peace of mind going into the surgery that everything is organized for your children and for your post surgery care. I'm sorry you have to have the pre-op tests again, but still think the later date is a much better scenario for you.
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Susan, I'm so thrilled my daughter doesn't have to miss the first week of the semester, but I must say that I'm a little worried I'll get bumped again in March.

Karen, I know Dr. Lenke was your surgeon. Did you ever have your date changed?

Comment

Nancy,
                Yes, my surgery date was rescheduled. I had the date of my surgery scheduled 11 months in advance because that was about the wait time for surgery with Dr. Lenke. He was president of the SRS and had to be in Europe on my surgery date in Nov. I was rescheduled for January 5. There were several cancellation dates that became available but I didn't take them because they interfered with the holidays and my dad's 90th birthday party. I didn't get the impression that it was at all common for Dr. Lenke to change surgery dates.
                Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                Now 66
                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Karen, did you have to redo all the pre-op testing?

Comment

Nancy,
                    Fortunately, I had not had any pre-op testing because I was notified of the change of surgery date several months before my original date.
                    Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Best shoes post-surgery??

Surgery is now only 2 weeks away! When it was cancelled back in January, I thought March would never get here. Well, it's almost here and so is the ANXIETY!

One of the things I need to do is get a new pair of sneakers for all the walking I'm going to be doing post-surgery! I was leaning toward the Women's Nike Free Flyknit 4.0 because they are so lightweight and not bulky, but I'm thinking maybe I'm going to need a little more cushion. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Comment

Ones without shoe laces. It is very hard to tie shoes at first. You will need like a slip on.
                        T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                        C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                        T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                        C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                        Right scapulectomy 6/15
                        Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                        To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                        Broken neck 9/28/2018
                        Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                        Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                        Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                        Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                        Osteotomy

Comment

A slip on that is open in the back. The shoe has to go on easily from a standing position without reaching down for any reason.....

I used sneakers later on in my recovery. I would recommend getting a 24 inch show horn for later.

http://www.amazon.com/Ikea-Omsorg-24.../dp/B00D44TFDC

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...li%2Chpc%2C390

A sock installer is also needed, don’t know if your insurance company will give you one....

http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Flexibl.../dp/B005L4NTNK

Ed
                          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                            A slip on that is open in the back. The shoe has to go on easily from a standing position without reaching down for any reason.....

I used sneakers later on in my recovery. I would recommend getting a 24 inch show horn for later.

http://www.amazon.com/Ikea-Omsorg-24.../dp/B00D44TFDC

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...li%2Chpc%2C390

A sock installer is also needed, don’t know if your insurance company will give you one....

http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Flexibl.../dp/B005L4NTNK

Ed
                            Ed...

I think most, if not all, of insurance companies no longer pay for most aids. Mine wouldn't even pay for a toilet seat riser. Some hospitals may pay for these things, but UCSF doesn't.

--Linda
                            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I had a walker, and the sock aid given to me at the hospital. I wanted out of the hospital so bad, and left so quickly that I forgot my wiper device. You know, for the old mud flaps.....(smiley face) Turned out I didn’t need it anyway, so that wasn’t a problem. I cant believe what is happening to our healthcare...My premiums are like carrying another mortgage these days. If it goes higher, it wont make any sense to keep working. Males age 55 and older are the most expensive group. Statistically, we don’t do too great I guess.

I was such a zombie right before my surgeries that I didn’t buy anything. I think the most important thing is to have support from loved ones or inner circle. They can get the things we need while recovering through the first 6-8 weeks.

Having the Ensure drinks in the fridge would be a good idea.....also ingredients for smoothies.

Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

An arsenel for constipation

Have an arsenel of constipation remedies available when you get home. Take something with each pain med.

Have on hand: I suggest colace, senna, miralax, ducolax (oral and suppositories w/ gloves and pub), and one bottle of mag citrate for the BIG backup.

You need to find out what combination works for you. I took 2 colace twice a day and one with each narcotic, miralax in juice, and senna once a day.

Keep your poo soft and regular.

Final thoughts on surgery...and I just returned from my 5th rodeo:
                                - bring a small notebook with you for relatives and you to write down everything that happens, what your surgeon says, questions for the surgeon, pain meds, BMs
                                - tell the nurses that you want pain meds scheduled, not just when you ask for them. Don't get behind on pain meds
                                - have a friend or relative stay with you, esp at night
                                - remember: something will go wrong

Have trust in your surgeon and let go.

Susan
                                Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                                2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                                2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                                2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                                2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                                2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Working...
                                X