Scared but scheduled for T4-pelvis Fusion Oct 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you!

You guys are so AWESOME!!! Thanks for the suggestions. Apparently, there are a few "aids" that I need to purchase. The links are especially helpful!

With the clock ticking, I've been spending more time perusing the forum. Today I read something that was a little disheartening. I thought that I'd be able to squat after surgery. I've been working on strengthening my quads since I knew I wouldn't be able to bend. Squatting is hard on the lower back?? I think I'm in for a rude awakening...
    3/8/16 Dr. Lenke, NY Presbyterian The Allen Hospital
    PSSIF T4-SACRUM/ILIUM, TLIF L5-S1

Comment

Susan is right, especially about having a bottle of magnesium citrate oral solution around just in case. Its sold over the counter,in the laxative section, looks like a small soda bottle and comes in different flavors. Lemon, Cherry, Jack Daniels.....(smiley face)

I started squatting because it’s the only way to empty a dishwasher. I did my recovery solo, and being the Oscar Madison of scoliosis recovery patients, it is possible to load a dishwasher by simply dropping the dishes. LOL

Squat with one hand on the kitchen counter keeping spine vertical. Pretend like you are balancing a plate on the top of your head. Up and down. You can practice these now before you go in...No bending at all.

Once again, trusting your surgeon and his team and letting go is important. I pretty much gave in the last day or so, sort of like a fish being reeled in. The last 10 feet they give in the fight. Many of us wait decades for this......and many of us don’t have that choice. We know and accept that something can go wrong, and pray that if it does, that its something minimal.

Recovery clothing needs to be loose fitting.....especially the socks which are easier to deal with. The sock installer works pretty good, but for removal of socks, you will use your big toe. Grabbing clothes off the floor I did with my big toe also, bend at the knee, and grab from behind. I could never find my grabber, and wasn’t looking for it. I HATE looking for stuff.

Long BBQ tongs work well for grabbers. If fact, they are a better option because after you recover, you wont need them anymore and you can still flip steaks with them.

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I understand your pre-surgery anxiety! It was definitely worse for me than my post surgery time. I found tennis shoes that didn't need to be tied which I could put on easily using a long handled shoe horn. I had grabbers in several rooms of our house. I also attached a throw away razor to the end of a back scratcher to shave my legs. You will be glad that you worked on strengthening your thighs. I didn't squat at first, but eventually did a ton of squatting. Best of luck with your surgery. Be sure to post so we know how you're doing.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
          I understand your pre-surgery anxiety! It was definitely worse for me than my post surgery time. I found tennis shoes that didn't need to be tied which I could put on easily using a long handled shoe horn. I had grabbers in several rooms of our house. I also attached a throw away razor to the end of a back scratcher to shave my legs. You will be glad that you worked on strengthening your thighs. I didn't squat at first, but eventually did a ton of squatting. Best of luck with your surgery. Be sure to post so we know how you're doing.
          Thanks, Karen! I'm going to have my daughter post for me, if I can't. I told my husband when he got home from work today that I'm seriously considering not having the surgery. He said, "YES you ARE". I read Fifa's journey today. Oh my...I'm scared!!!

What I'm most concerned about at the moment is when I leave the hospital, they are sending me with a two week script for pain pills. After that, I have to go through my PCP. While I love my PCP, I don't think he's necessarily qualified to manage the situation and I'm afraid of the pain.

Comment

That seems strange that Dr. Lenke wouldn't give you pain medication prescriptions that would last for several months. I called a few times asking for advice as to the best way to reduce the pain medications but never involved my primary care physician for refills.
            Last edited by golfnut; 02-27-2016, 12:44 AM.
            Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

You can also go to pain management. They do a better job.
              T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
              C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
              T2--T10 fusion 2/11
              C 4-5 fusion 11/14
              Right scapulectomy 6/15
              Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
              To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
              Broken neck 9/28/2018
              Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
              Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
              Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
              Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
              Osteotomy

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
                That seems strange that Dr. Lenke wouldn't give you pain medication prescriptions that would last for several months. I called a few times asking for advice as to the best way to reduce the pain medications but never involved my primary care physician for refills.
                Angie, from Dr. Lenke's office said, "The reason having your PCP help with pain management is due to the fact that since you are out-of-state and the ability of us to get you scripts in time via mail before your medications runs out is why we say work with your PCP. Some PCPs have referred their patients to pain management postop. It was easier in the past to call in certain narcotics like Norco or Vicodin but with the new DEA regulations those medications cannot be called in at all. They actually need a handwritten script. Additionally due to the increasing number of prescription drug abuse we are limited in being only allowed to order two week supply of narcotics."

She said they can manage baclofen and gabapentin as they are non-narcotis.

Comment

That makes sense.
                  Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Originally posted by Mom of 4 View Post
                    Thanks, Karen! I'm going to have my daughter post for me, if I can't. I told my husband when he got home from work today that I'm seriously considering not having the surgery. He said, "YES you ARE". I read Fifa's journey today. Oh my...I'm scared!!!

What I'm most concerned about at the moment is when I leave the hospital, they are sending me with a two week script for pain pills. After that, I have to go through my PCP. While I love my PCP, I don't think he's necessarily qualified to manage the situation and I'm afraid of the pain.
                    If possible, get your prescriptions filled a day before you are discharged. Get them filled at the hospital pharmacy if possible. Nothing is worse than scrambling at the last minute to find a pharmacy to fill your pain pills. My local pharmacy does not have many pain meds on hand.
                    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Mom of 4

Maybe have an appt with your PCP so he/she's aware of the pain med refill needs? I think they'd be more receptive if they are made aware...
                      30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
                      2005 - T50, L31
                      bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
                      2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
                      Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Pre-Op Prep?

Did anyone do anything before surgery to avoid the potential problems with constipation/impaction, etc?

Comment

I ate lightly (mostly liquids like tomato soup) for 2 days before surgery and took a dulcolax and colace orally at night 3 days before surgery to decrease the chances of stool sitting in bowels. I suggest not using the dulcolax closer to surgery as you don't want diarrhea after surgery. Since you will have bowels moved during surgery, sluggish bowels are a real problem.

Post op, make sure that they are giving you stool softeners like colace in adequate amounts 2-3 times a day to keep any solid food soft. Write in your journal passing of gas and any bowel movements. I asked for a dulcolax suppository 3 days after surgery to help evacuate some harder stool that I could sense in my rectum.

Let me know if you want to talk on the phone.

Susan
                          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                          2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                          2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                          2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                          2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                          2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
                            I ate lightly (mostly liquids like tomato soup) for 2 days before surgery and took a dulcolax and colace orally at night 3 days before surgery to decrease the chances of stool sitting in bowels. I suggest not using the dulcolax closer to surgery as you don't want diarrhea after surgery. Since you will have bowels moved during surgery, sluggish bowels are a real problem.

Post op, make sure that they are giving you stool softeners like colace in adequate amounts 2-3 times a day to keep any solid food soft. Write in your journal passing of gas and any bowel movements. I asked for a dulcolax suppository 3 days after surgery to help evacuate some harder stool that I could sense in my rectum.

Let me know if you want to talk on the phone.

Susan
                            Great info, Susan. Thanks so much!!

Comment

The time is very near!

My central line is in and I'm to report to the hospital tomorrow at 5:30. Today has been a very difficult and emotional day. I am terrified...

Comment

I will be thinking about you tomorrow. I am sure you will have a successful surgery and soon be able to start the recovery. Best of luck!
                                Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                                Now 66
                                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Working...
                                X