New non-corrective scoliosis brace for adults

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New non-corrective scoliosis brace for adults

I have had three Scoliosis surgeries but I still have a high curve - 47% and I'm in pain all the time, both in my lumbar and in my thoracic. I went to the orthotist today and was amazed when she pulled up a web page with this brace! She said it was brand new. She placed her hands on me and slightly straightened my spine, which is what the brace will do; this gave me immediate relief so she has ordered one for me. I am excited. To my knowledge, this is the first Adult non-corrective Scoliosis brace that is meant for people who have not had surgery, although, as in my case, I'm going to use it even though I've had surgery.

http://www.aspenmp.com/products/lower-spine/peak-scoli/

Happy Bracing Everyone!
    1st surgery: Fused T1-L3 in 1987 with contoured Harrington Rods. Rods broke at top.
    2nd surgery: Re-done two weeks later; fused C7-L3. Left in chronic pain.
    3rd surgery: Hardware removal 1997, but still pain for 30 years.
    4th Surgery: Fused to the sacrum in 2016. Came out of surgery with left foot paralysis. (Drop Foot) Can't walk on my own.
    I'm blessed to have found my peace and reason to live not from a husband or kids (I have none) but from God and within myself.

Good news and I hope it helps. I ask for a brace but was told it was not available in 2011. Glad it is now
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Comment

Do you believe it could be better than the Spinecor for adults? I have read once that it was used also for people who had surgery.

Comment

That brace will help.....it’s a great idea.

Brings back memories of the old bracing days.....good and bad memories I guess, all part of our lives living with scoliosis, and what long ride its been.....

I cant throw my old braces out.....I think that since it was such a major part of my life, being so highly dependent through painful periods, I cant do this.

I think one of these days I will make a planter out of it. (smiley face) I will plant the tree crooked, of course....

Don’t worry, I will take pictures

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

So glad that you found a non-surgical way to relieve your pain. I hope that it continues to provide pain relief.
          Are there any stretching exercises that your PT suggested that might supplement the brace and maybe decrease any discomfort from the stretching of the muscles that would happen in using the brace?

Susan
          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
          2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
          2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
          2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
          2018: Removal L4,5 screw
          2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

I'd be weary before believing that these types of products have anything better to offer than what you could get in your local sportshop today. I for one got relief just by wearing a regular rib belt or lumbar belt. If you want something more concealable, just try one of those very thin yoga belt pads to help shed off fat and wear a regular leather belt to strap it hard across the area of your rib hump.

Comment

Brace update

Hello everyone:

I received my adult Scoliosis Aspen Peak brace last week from the orthodic place. It came in a beautiful presentation box. Although it is not a custom fitted product, the orthotic gal did tighten and bend a few things on it for me. Sadly, once I put it on I knew it wasn't helping. This could be in part because I have lumbar DDD from my Harrington Rod surgery and this brace is not intended for that; it does not really support the lumbar. What it does is support the trunk, thoracic area and rib hump. So, since it has no lumbar component, after I put it on all my lumbar pain was still there and unfortunately my rib hump pain and fatigue was not helped by it, either. In short, it did not feel at all like when the brace gal put her hands on me to straighten my muscles around my spine. I almost felt like I wanted a strap attached from one side of my body to the other to give me some relief of the "pulling" feeling from the rib hump and the Scoliosis. In theory, this brace is supposed to help with that. It is a soft trunk brace with a piece that goes up and under the left arm. On the other side of the brace is an arm that goes over the other hip to balance it out.

I have not tried the SpineCor adult Scoliosis brace yet, but I don't think the "shorts" which are a part of the brace, would work for me. I would get too hot wearing shorts and the "bolero" jacket part of it.

I think that what I was after was something like my old Milwaukee brace that had bars and straps and you could get it really tight. I think I may have my doc order me a standard hard-shell TLSO brace.

I already have a Cybertech sacro-illiac belt and a larger lumbar belt with a stomacher. My problem with these is that because they are made of a soft material you can never get it tight enough. You put it on, and then after about an hour of wearing it, it loosens up. It's really very frustrating. Also frustrating if the plastic piece that sits in the small of the spine. Because this is not molded to the lordosis in the spine, it contributes to the whole loosening thing.

I was told the Peak brace was about $2000. Mine was free to me with my insurance but I don't think I'll ever use it. If anyone wants it, PM me and I'll send it to you.
              1st surgery: Fused T1-L3 in 1987 with contoured Harrington Rods. Rods broke at top.
              2nd surgery: Re-done two weeks later; fused C7-L3. Left in chronic pain.
              3rd surgery: Hardware removal 1997, but still pain for 30 years.
              4th Surgery: Fused to the sacrum in 2016. Came out of surgery with left foot paralysis. (Drop Foot) Can't walk on my own.
              I'm blessed to have found my peace and reason to live not from a husband or kids (I have none) but from God and within myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Tableone View Post
                Hello everyone: I received my adult Scoliosis Aspen Peak brace last week from the orthodic place. It came in a beautiful presentation box. Although it is not a custom fitted product, the orthotic gal did tighten and bend a few things on it for me. Sadly, once I put it on I knew it wasn't helping. This could be in part because I have lumbar DDD from my Harrington Rod surgery and this brace is not intended for that; it does not really support the lumbar. What it does is support the trunk, thoracic area and rib hump. So, since it has no lumbar component, after I put it on all my lumbar pain was still there and unfortunately my rib hump pain and fatigue was not helped by it, either. In short, it did not feel at all like when the brace gal put her hands on me to straighten my muscles around my spine. I almost felt like I wanted a strap attached from one side of my body to the other to give me some relief of the "pulling" feeling from the rib hump and the Scoliosis. In theory, this brace is supposed to help with that. It is a soft trunk brace with a piece that goes up and under the left arm. On the other side of the brace is an arm that goes over the other hip to balance it out. I have not tried the SpineCor adult Scoliosis brace yet, but I don't think the "shorts" which are a part of the brace, would work for me. I would get too hot wearing shorts and the "bolero" jacket part of it. I think that what I was after was something like my old Milwaukee brace that had bars and straps and you could get it really tight. I think I may have my doc order me a standard hard-shell TLSO brace. I already have a Cybertech sacro-illiac belt and a larger lumbar belt with a stomacher. My problem with these is that because they are made of a soft material you can never get it tight enough. You put it on, and then after about an hour of wearing it, it loosens up. It's really very frustrating. Also frustrating if the plastic piece that sits in the small of the spine. Because this is not molded to the lordosis in the spine, it contributes to the whole loosening thing. I was told the Peak brace was about $2000. Mine was free to me with my insurance but I don't think I'll ever use it. If anyone wants it, PM me and I'll send it to you.
                table one, after lumbar surgery my doctor ordered a Jewett Brace. I actually thought he made a mistake since it didn't touch my lumbar spine at all. It kind of pulls you up and protects the lumber spine from bending.

Comment

PEAK brace

well, i tried it....or the guy from the Aspen brace company finally
                  showed up at my pain management doctor's office in Manhattan...
                  and, after 2 appts he could not get to, he had the brace with him
                  for me to try on...my waist measurement had been taken by the PA
                  before this, so the guy knew what size i was....anyway, he told me
                  what the brochure says, that the brace is not to change anything, just
                  to relieve some of pain...
                  BUT....he kept trying to get me to stand differently....duh...i have
                  scoliosis....i CAN'T stand differently...if i could, i wouldnt have such
                  problems with my spine...
                  so....the brace cannot help me in any way....it felt like a really tight
                  girdle....it squeezed me...but that was it....and i cannot even imagine
                  what type of back problem it COULD help....it went down to my left
                  hip, which often feels like it is burning,
                  (from buritis and the inflammation involved,)
                  so i definitely did not enjoy that...

i do not know who would be helped by the PEAK brace by tge ASPEN
                  company....the guy felt bad that he couldnt help me...he gave me the
                  card for a couple of people who are at Hospital for Special Surgery
                  in Manhattan, and who are in dept that makes orthotics, etc...he said
                  they might be able to make me a custom brace, because he said that
                  is what i need...well, duh again....
                  does ASPEN believe that there is some kind of univeral brace that can
                  help all scoli patients....because it just occurs to me while writing this...
                  that if that is true, then someone needs to educate the Aspen company
                  about the human spine, and how spinal problems are individual to each
                  human who suffers from spinal problems!

woofs
                  jess....& Sparky

Comment

Jess!

Nice hearing from you!

Hope you are well. Hugs to the baby monkey. :-)

Sharon
                    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Peak Scoliosis Brace

My experience with Aspen Medical Products, specifically the Peak Scoliosis Brace, can best be described as very positive. As an adult with scoliosis challenges beginning as age 65, I was impressed with the soft adjustable support the brace provides. I can more comfortably tolerate activity with less pain while maintaining better body alignment. My brace encourages left sided elongation, a constant struggle without it. The reason I sought treatment initially had to do with disabling pain due to recurring left sided rib fractures. After using an uncomfortable fixed brace, my orthotist suggested trying the Peak Scoliosis Brace, tailoring it to best deal with my specific problems. Now I wear it as tolerated, easily making adjustments to the fit myself. I am no longer experiencing rib fractures.

Scoliosis, with its complexities, requires multiple treatment approaches and expertise. Physical and massage therapies have been helpful to me. I am grateful to the team at Aspen Medical Products for seeking feedback as I wear their brace and for their interest in developing a product addressing the challenging needs of individuals with scoliosis. It is a source of hope where options are few!

Comment

Benefits of Peak Scoli brace

Having been referred by my Physical Therapist/Schroth Method instructor, I was pleased to meet Patrick Flanagan from O & P Innovations – a very kind and capable orthotist who fitted me for the Aspen Medical Products/Peak Scoli brace. Though I am fortunate not to have had surgery, my scoliosis has progressed and the brace has provided just the help I need. As the day goes on or if I am standing up too long, particularly while cooking, the Peak Scoli brace has become an added source of strength, allowing me to complete my tasks without feeling like I need to lie down or stop what I am doing. Though my ability to sit and stand for long periods of time has declined, the brace helps me deal with the situation and in combination with my daily Schroth exercises, makes me feel more empowered.

Comment

Working...
                        X