Two Years Follow-up with Dr. Hu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Years Follow-up with Dr. Hu

I was reluctant to post about my two years follow up because so many people are having problems and I didn't want to brag about myself. But I thought that sharing my good report will help those considering or getting close to the surgery date, so here it goes.

Dr. Hu said everything looks good and all the hardware is in place. I don't have any restrictions and she even gave me a green light for a little jogging, and I thought that it's a no-no with fusion to sacrum. I am doing zumba, swimming, working out 5 times a week and enjoying a little jogging around neighborhood. I was never a runner before, but getting a kick doing it now just because I CAN. Sometimes, when I am in bed, my right foot tingles, but this is very minor. I work full time and dress up in form fitting clothes every day. People often ask me why I am doing this fashion show haha. They don't understand that after a lifetime of wearing baggy clothes, I am still in euphoria stage that I CAN wear anything I want!

I am very happy that I had this surgery! I wish more people could say that. I feel a little guilty writing this and thinking about Susan, who had her original surgery with the same doctor at about the same time... Hope she gets better and all of the folks getting surgery soon, have a good outcome. Cheers to all of you!
    Last edited by Irina; 03-30-2015, 10:59 PM.
    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Irina,

It's wonderful to read about your awesome outcome!
    Peg
    61 yrs old
    75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
    T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
    Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Hi Irina,

I am so happy to read your great report…I know Susan is on all of our minds but she is tough and has a great attitude. I am sure reading your good news is helpful for those approaching surgery. Thanks for the great update.
      Gayle, age 50
      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Irina

Congratulations on 2 years.....its always nice to see that glowing report!

2 years was where I felt my recovery was pretty much over.....or 98% done. You only know after the years pass...

Susan will get through all of this......sometimes we just have to hang in there, but it all works out in the end.

I am also in the 100% “happy I did it” club. Not 99%, 100%. With all the pain and worry over all those years, it just wasn’t worth it, surgery as scary as it sound’s, was the answer.

I am forever grateful.....

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Irena, I am happy to hear you are doing so well. Your two year check up sounds wonderful.
          It is good to see some one with a good outcome. Especially since my surgery is only two weeks away, i have been thinking about Susan a lot and hope she will soon recover. She has had a tough time of it.
          Marianne
          rotoscoliosis, subluxation and spinal stenosis
          Surgery April 15, 2015 at age 67
          T11-L5
          Decompression with multiple discectomies
          Concord cages @ L2-3, L3-4, L4-5
          Osteotomies and local bone grafting
          Revision Feb.22, 2018
          Replaced rods
          Took out L5 disk to free up nerves
          Used BPM to help with fusing
          Fused T10-S1 with screws in pelvis

Comment

Hi Marianne,

Good luck with your surgery! You probably can't wait to get it over with. For me, anticipation was worse than recovery. Wishing you a successful surgery and speedy recovery.
            Last edited by Irina; 04-01-2015, 10:14 PM.
            I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
            45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
            A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Irina,
              Congratulations on a good 2 year checkup. I understand your hesitation about posting, however, those contemplating surgery have to know that most people have good results from scoliosis surgery. It may not seem that way when reading the forum, but I have to think it is because many who are doing well no longer post.
              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
              Rib Hump-GONE!
              Age-60 at the time of surgery
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Congrats on your milestone, Irina. Everyone loves to hear about a good report, including, I'm sure, those who're struggling.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thank you Irene.
                  Marianne
                  rotoscoliosis, subluxation and spinal stenosis
                  Surgery April 15, 2015 at age 67
                  T11-L5
                  Decompression with multiple discectomies
                  Concord cages @ L2-3, L3-4, L4-5
                  Osteotomies and local bone grafting
                  Revision Feb.22, 2018
                  Replaced rods
                  Took out L5 disk to free up nerves
                  Used BPM to help with fusing
                  Fused T10-S1 with screws in pelvis

Comment

Awesome 2 year report!

Thanks for sharing the Good news about your 2 year visit. I am SO happy for you! Please never hold back from sharing your good news because some of us (moi) are having problems. Hearing your good news makes me happy and gives my energy to rehab even more! You are my role model!
                    Susan
                    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Irina,you must be feeling very good about the two year report! Yahoo!!!! I go for my two year follow up May 20th in St. Louis with Dr. Lenke. I hope I have a good report like you. I have a few issues with the neck~~ but I think that's just something that happens over the years. Have fun with your newly found freedom!!!
                      But don't overdo that can happen when we feel so good and have been told we are free to do all the things we couldn't do before. You are amazing! Warmly, Linda
                      Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
                      Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
                      This started adult onset scoliosis
                      July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
                      Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
                      Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
                      May 30th 2013 revision
                      May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
                      May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

[QUOTE=susancook;162743]Thanks for sharing the Good news about your 2 year visit. I am SO happy for you! Please never hold back from sharing your good news because some of us (moi) are having problems. Hearing your good news makes me happy and gives my energy to rehab even more! You are my role model!QUOTE]

Susan, I hope you update us soon. Hope you are fine!!! I sent you a card. Linda
                        Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
                        Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
                        This started adult onset scoliosis
                        July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
                        Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
                        Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
                        May 30th 2013 revision
                        May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
                        May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

So happy that you shared

It is as important to share success as well as not. This is a place to learn from each other.

There are so many of us that need the good news as well as a place to vent our frustrations. There are many many good, well trained, surgeons and then there are millions of different permutations of each one of us, 'the patients'.

Our bodies are not the same and the procedure done is never going to have the same outcome. Circumstances are so different for each and everyone of us.

We can only do our best by doing our homework.
                          - Find the best surgeon
                          - in the best location
                          - where we have physical and/or moral support and
                          - where our imedical nsurance would cover
                          - have the best attitude
                          - be in the best physical health as possible

And hope to come out with the best outcome possible.

Best of luck to everyone, all we need is a little of LUCK on our side.
                          Gardenia
                          Baja California, Mexico & El Centro, Ca
                          pre-surgery 75° and 89° - post ?
                          Dr. Bridwell Nov 27, 2012 @Barnes Jewish @62yrs
                          T11 to Sacrum Dural leak at L2 & L3 ccmail4g@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                          X