No announcement yet.

Non fusion surgery for adults

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don’t think its discrimination because its not intentional, its just stupidity.

And I also don’t think it belongs here, especially on this thread. This is an uplifting thread, a story of hope that has been squashed by a ton of bricks.

I will not post here anymore until its removed. I’m sorry, but I don’t have any tolerance for this.

I think we have enough to deal with.

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Probably if you would have a daughter with a big curve and in your country this commercial would be shown in tv, you would think different, but this is not your problem of course. All threads are full of posts off topic but sure moderator will remove it, as she deleted the thread I opened to showed this. Thanks for your display of solidarity!
      Last edited by flerc; 02-03-2015, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Sorry if it's a nonsense question, but I don't understand why if Magec is essentially roads and those rods exists before Magec, why they were not used before in adults. Adults don’t grows any more so which could be the utility of the remote control?.. the special case of this woman needs it?

Comment

I don't really understand the end game here. And there are others things I don't understand.

1. If she had 20 operations, why is the only hardware visible the new growing rod? Maybe they took it out or she was not instrumented in any of those other operations. It is confusing. Maybe that is a stock radiograph of a MAGEC rod and not her radiograph.

2. The growing rod doesn't seem to be a possible end game. If regular rods anchored at several point can bend, fatigue, and break then this rod, attached at two points seems like it will break more quickly.

3. They may be using the growing rod in place of traction to straight the spine prior to a fusion.

4. She may not have the lung capacity to undergo a fusion operation although she tolerated the rod attachment surgery. It's possible they intend to just use the rods and keep replacing them if they break.

5. They may be using the rods mainly to prevent further collapse as any straightening that occurs will be dependent on the rod staying in place.

6. I understand that many growing rods in children are left in place when the final fusion is done.

Over on SSo, they say she is on a FB group. Maybe someone can find her and ask if they are interested.
          Last edited by Pooka1; 02-15-2015, 09:50 AM.
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Back when I was a teen, I used to wonder why scoliotic curves couldn't be corrected slowly over time in the same mechanism/concept orthodontic brace used. I did understand that the fact instruments are placed deep made it hard to adjust like orthodontia can be adjusted, but I figured there was a way to get around that when the technology became more advanced.

Growing rods came around for kids and I thought... Ah HA! I knew it! (If I had known biomedical engineering existed as a high schooler a field I'd have considered it. Still made it into a field that straddles medical and another field though ;-D)

I can see in theory growing rods could work for adults -- but I do worry that adult curves are very stiff and will break the growing rods. Maybe there's missing pieces to this story here -- was she externally braced in the time the growing rods were being adjusted? I'd imagine an adult will need extra 'help' in keeping the spine stable while the body got accustomed to new shape when there isn't the internal fusion to keep everything stable.

I feel like my curve is sorta reverting back -- due to some pains returning that were there prior to surgery and I have three rods. I can't say I'll be shocked if at my 6 mo check in few weeks my curve has managed to bend the rods... I'm probably just starting to have more nerves regenerate and am getting sensation back, not having more pain.
            30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
            2005 - T50, L31
            bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
            2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
            Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Originally posted by green m&m View Post
              I can see in theory growing rods could work for adults -- but I do worry that adult curves are very stiff and will break the growing rods. Maybe there's missing pieces to this story here -- was she externally braced in the time the growing rods were being adjusted? I'd imagine an adult will need extra 'help' in keeping the spine stable while the body got accustomed to new shape when there isn't the internal fusion to keep everything stable.
              It should to be known. I personally know some adults with a very flexible spine, so I don’t believe they could be a rare exception. If rods could be enough in those cases, why never were used before?

Comment

Working...
              X