New Tingling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tingling

Hello all! I am a 23 year old female. I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 13 years old. I was treated with a brace for about a year, and since then have had periodic x-ray check ups, with the top curve floating close to 40 and the bottom around the 30s. I am an active person, I do yoga and go to the gym about 3 times a week. Generally I've never really had pain from my scoliosis besides fatigue in my lower back after long periods of standing. Recently, though, I started a full time job which requires a lot of desk work/long periods of sitting & looking at a computer - far more than I'm used to - and I've noticed a new tingling sensation in my right thoracic back where I have my rib hump.

The tingling is intermittent and not too severe, but it worries me because i have never experienced this in my back before.I realize it could be caused by my new, more sedentary work environment, but I'm concerned that it could be a sign that my curves are progressing. Does anyone have any insight into new sensations like tingling and if they have any relation to a worsening of scoliosis?

Thanks for reading

-Gina

Originally posted by Gina2191 View Post
    Does anyone have any insight into new sensations like tingling and if they have any relation to a worsening of scoliosis?

I cant remember the exact symptoms of my scoliosis at age 23 anymore, but I’m sure that I might have been tingling at your age. I wouldn’t be too alarmed about it since it happens to all of us at some stage......As far as progression is concerned, x-rays are the only way to see what’s happening. I cannot answer if tingling is a symptom of progression....

I have come to the conclusion that sitting in front of a computer is highly destructive....(especially for the eyes) As far as the spine is concerned it’s a good thing to get up and walk around often. The spine can handle quite a bit of physical abuse, this is something that I experienced in being a lifelong skier. Brutal crashes are probably not the best thing.....I mention this so you know that you don’t have to walk around on eggshells for the rest of your life. I didn’t let my scoliosis dictate what I was going to do or not to do and lived a very active life.

Tingling, numbness, aches, pains, spasms, jolts, and burning pain are all things I have experienced.....There are also many tricks of the scoliosis trade we learn, simply laying down would be the first choice and our bodies repair themselves quickly when injured.

Welcome to the forum

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Gina...

I highly recommend sit/stand workstations. Almost any set up can be adapted.

Sit/Stand Workstations

I believe the Americans for Disability law requires that your employer make provisions. I have one for my clinic desk. Although I now have the ability to sit for hours, I still use the standing position from time-to-time. Unfortunately, standing for long periods of time sets off trochanteric bursitis. It's ALWAYS something!

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
      X