Surgery scheduled for March 11, 2015 at 67

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery scheduled for March 11, 2015 at 67

My time is getting closer and I am both relieved and nervous. I will be fused T10 - S 1 with pelvic fixation, by Dr. Wilson in Toronto.
    I have been reading and rereading a lot of your threads and am very thankful to all the regulars that take the time to post on this forum.
    I am trying to reorganize everything and give my house one last spring cleaning before I go and will stock my freezer full of home made meals.
    We have ordered a daybed for the main floor as our bedroom is upstairs. Even if I make it up stairs it will be good to have for naps and watching TV.
    I have always gone to aqua size at the local pool but the last few weeks I am just finding it too painful.
    I know I need some exercise but walking is also very difficult so not sure what to do these days. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
    Marianne
    rotoscoliosis, subluxation and spinal stenosis
    Surgery April 15, 2015 at age 67
    T11-L5
    Decompression with multiple discectomies
    Concord cages @ L2-3, L3-4, L4-5
    Osteotomies and local bone grafting
    Revision Feb.22, 2018
    Replaced rods
    Took out L5 disk to free up nerves
    Used BPM to help with fusing
    Fused T10-S1 with screws in pelvis

That is exciting to have your date set and to be getting ready! Plus it can give you that roller-coaster ride of being a little nerve-wracking also... The exercise I did to prepare was using a stationary bike. If I had my "druthers" I would use a recumbent bike so I would have support for my back. The thing my doctor wanted was to work my heart. Of course, it is also good to have your leg muscles and arm muscles strong if possible, as they are going to be doing some work for you after your surgery. I would just say work your heart and keep your arms and legs strong
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi, Marianne: My suggestion may seem like an odd one, but I suggest that you write down just how much you hurt and what you cannot do right now. I say this because sometimes post-op when you are down and feel like crap and wonder if you really should have done the surgery, those entries on how BAD, PAINFUL, and LIMITING your life was before surgery will refresh your memory on exactly why you had the surgery. That has been helpful for me. In spite of all that has happened to me in the past 5 months, I am still grateful for the surgery. While I am certainly handicapped now [but improving!], I would be headed to a wheelchair permanently if I had not had spinal surgery. My spinal cord injury was a rare fluke.

I wish you well. Susan.....still rollin' along
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Thanks Susie I will work on my arms and legs.
        Susan great suggestion writng down my aches and paines and the things I can not do anymore.
        Just got a new Diary and will start with that. I am glad to hear that you would still have the surgery if you had to do it all over again.
        Marianne
        rotoscoliosis, subluxation and spinal stenosis
        Surgery April 15, 2015 at age 67
        T11-L5
        Decompression with multiple discectomies
        Concord cages @ L2-3, L3-4, L4-5
        Osteotomies and local bone grafting
        Revision Feb.22, 2018
        Replaced rods
        Took out L5 disk to free up nerves
        Used BPM to help with fusing
        Fused T10-S1 with screws in pelvis