Grabber brand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grabber brand?

What brand of grabbers do people recommend? What about a sock helper? Is thatbwhatbpeople mean when they say a "dressing aid?"

Got my body pillows and dry shampoo today!
    T4-Sacrum fusion, with pelvic fixation in January 2015, Dr. Lonner in NYC
    10 osteotomies, rotation from 25 to 2
    Diagnosed at age 11 with double curve, 36 and 45 degrees, Braced for 2.5 years
    At time of surgery, curves were 45 and 65 degrees
    Chronic back pain, worsening, since age 11
    Tried every pain management procedure, acupuncture, chiropractor, physical therapy ever created
    Mom of 2 cuties!

I do not know about brand names for grabbers. I have many in my home. Just make sure that it is long enough for you to get what it is you want to grab without Bending.

As I am fused from C2 to my sacrum, I have a sock helper. I dont know if you will need one. They are easy enough to get. Even our local Walmart carries them.

What a dressing aid or stick is , it is a dowel with a hook on one side and another type of hook on the other. I find that really helps to get dressed

Good luck
    Melissa
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

I have used MANY different grabbers, and broken many, in my opinion you definitely get what you pay for. The Ettore Grip and Grab is the best by far, there is a hardware store in my town that sells them and you can also find them on Amazon, they run about $25. I have 6 of them....they hang on hooks in every room in my house and I keep one in my car. They are strong and pick up pretty much anything. They are a Godsend.
      Spring
      42 yrs old
      Milwaukee braced 1983 to 1989
      was told my curves would never progress
      at 19yrs old 1991, T30-L38
      2010, T38-L56--progression in one year 2011, T40-L67
      new diagnosis-kyphoscoliosis, DDD, Arthritis, Osteoporosis, 73 degree Kyphosis
      Surgery 1-09-12....10 hrs all posterior T4-sacrum & 2 cages
      Dr. Lenke-St. Louis Mo.
      Surgery to clean out infection 2-10-12
      Revision for broken rods 1-23-14

Comment

I completely agree that the Ettore brand is the best. Lowe's in our area has a good price on them.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_213159-1316-...ductId=3390598

The 36" is $17.98

Did you have your surgery yet?
        Last edited by Lizardacres; 02-01-2015, 10:25 AM.
        Before 39* lumbar at age 18, progressed to 74* lumbar and 22* thoracic age 55
        ALIF Jan 13, 2015, PLIF Jan 15, 2015 with Dr William Stevens, Honor Health
        Fused T-7 to S-1 with pelvic fixation

After 38* lumbar

Xrays
        Before: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...7&d=1414268930

After: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...6&d=1424894360

Comment

That's good to know! Mine are Carex & they keep breaking. I just ordered 2 cheap folding ones on ebay to carry in my bag for the Y or to take into the grocery. I don't have high hopes for how long they'll last! My husband uses a super long one when he's on his tractor. I will check out your recommendation.
          Peg
          61 yrs old
          75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
          T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
          Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Hi, everyone -

Just weighing in here - my grabbers (all three of them) are Sammons Preston Rolyan, two of which are model # 4107, which is a 32" reacher. I use one about a thousand times per day, and have had no problems picking up the tiniest pieces of paper, leaves, etc., plus some heavy stuff that I shouldn't be picking up at all, probably (heavy pairs of jeans and even a full small trashcan once that had tipped over). They have a little magnetic piece on the end, so a paperclip or small non-heavy metal objects will stick to it without really having to "grab" it. I've used the one in my bedroom the most, and I keep the other in the kitchen because the bedroom and kitchen are the two rooms I occupy the most. I've had no trouble with breakage or any problems with either of them whatsoever. I would be lost without them. One was included in the $50+ "bag of tricks" I purchased from my doctor's office, which included the sock aid, tongs, dressing stick, and a sponge on a stick for bathing. I ordered the second one from Amazon for all of $12.

A couple of weeks ago, in anticipation of going back to work, I ordered another reacher of the same brand that is a 26" but it is foldable, so this one I can take to work with me and it will fit inside my purse. I may need it in the car, too, in case I drop cash/coins/credit card in a drive through or something. It was $16.75 and is model #4108. I haven't had any need for it yet, so I don't know how durable it will be, but I've been using the one in the bedroom dozens of times per day since I came home in November and have had no problems with breakage or anything. I would highly recommend this brand.

Good luck to you!! (smiley)

Fifa

Comment

Working...
            X