Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have spinal cord injury after failed proximal Junctional kyphosis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have spinal cord injury after failed proximal Junctional kyphosis?

That title is surely a mouthful! I had a spinal cord injury @T4-5 after the screws from my surgery "indented" my spinal column....call proximal Junctional failure. After my T3 to sacrum fusion, I developed a kyphosis above the fusion....after my surgeon fixed my kyphosis which was much lower down. Well, the kyphosis continued to pull inward, thus the screws started to pull out and when they did, they poked into the spinal cord. Fortunately...or maybe unfortunately, the entire process of the screw screwing into my spinal cord was entirely painless. The symptoms were subtle at first, I had some challenges climbing stairs and walking, but I thought that I was just tired.

Fast forward 2 weeks and I could not move either leg. I finally had surgery (that's another story) to remove the screws and spent 5 weeks in rehab.

So, if you had a proximal Junctional kyphosis failure leading to a spinal cord injury, I'd love to connect with you!

Susan
    Last edited by susancook; 12-18-2014, 08:32 PM.
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Hi Susan,it is just me. While I had PJK I did not have the spinal cord injury. My best wishes that you continue to improve. Have a great vacation and Merry Christmas.
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Comment

Hi...

Just to be clear, PJF doesn't usually include spinal cord injury. Didn't want others who have been told they have PJF to think that they're going to have a spinal cord injury. :-)

Carry on...

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Susan, I am so sorry to hear about this latest challenge. I pretty much stay away from the forum now because I found it was taking up too much of my time. However, I miss you and many others of this forum. You have been a special friend and I wish only the best for you. Merry Christmas!
        Love, Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
        X