No announcement yet.

Side Planks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember, Fishman is a physiatrist and he doesn't seem to know much about scoliosis, not even the definition. Same probably with the physiatrists you are dealing with. Not their training.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
      Osteopaths and physiatrists would not believe it because this isn't their field and they would have no way to know what is normal behavior of a structural curve.

Orthopedic surgeons would believe it because it is their field and have training to know what is normal behavior of a structural curve.
      It was only a way to say that all of them (also or mainly orthopedic surgeons) were stunned after seeing the reduction in that position.
      Osteopaths and physiatrists of course have also the training to know what is normal behavior of a structural curve.

Comment

Remember, Fishman is a physiatrist and he doesn't seem to know much about scoliosis, not even the definition. Same probably with the physiatrists you are dealing with. Not their training.
        No, he is not a physiatrist. SEAS people are physiatrists not him.

Comment

• Originally posted by flerc View Post
          No, he is not a physiatrist. SEAS people are physiatrists not him.
          I stand corrected about ISICO. Though ISICO does have some surgeons, they are mostly doctors of "Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation."

http://en.isico.it/isico/our-doctors

Fishman is in the same field of physical medicine and rehabilitation. http://www.manhattanphysicalmedicine.com/doctors.html

As far as I know, doctors in this field are called physiatrists.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physic...rehabilitation

Fishman is a physiatrist, not an orthopedic surgeon and it shows.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• I'm not sure if Physiatry (Fisiatría in Spanish) is the same in your country than in mine. Here they study in the same University than surgeons, even I know some physiatrists teaching Anatomy and Biomechanic in the best Medicine University. Some Physiatrists methods (as GPR or Sohier) are only practiced by them. Is absolutly imposible to find a physiatrist here not knowing about scoliosis. Really I don't know who have the greater knowledge Osteopaths, physiatrists or surgeons. They work in a different way, different objectives, probably it has not sense to ask that.

Comment

I'm not sure if Physiatry (Fisiatría in Spanish) is the same in your country than in mine. Here they study in the same University than surgeons, even I know some physiatrists teaching Anatomy and Biomechanic in the best Medicine University. Some Physiatrists methods (as GPR or Sohier) are only practiced by them. Is absolutly imposible to find a physiatrist here not knowing about scoliosis. Really I don't know who have the greater knowledge Osteopaths, physiatrists or surgeons. They work in a different way, different objectives, probably it has not sense to ask that.
                Physiatrists can only treat one symptom of scoliosis (pain). Only orthopedic surgeons can treat pain AND progression.

Osteopaths are similar to medical doctors in training but the requirements to get into osteopathy school are less than to get into medical school per a comment I heard on Doctor Radio recently... it was that they had a very talented student working with them from a foreign country who was trying to get into medical school but they were worried her standardized test scores would not be good enough (the language part) and that they didn't want her to have to settle for osteopathy school.

Everyone can pick any doctor they like but I have picked the best qualified for my kids which means medical doctors, not osteopaths.
                Last edited by Pooka1; 07-11-2015, 08:03 PM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• Orthopedic surgeons can treat progression only through rigid braces and surgery. Osteopaths and Physiatrists are able to treat not only pain. Certainly Osteopathy seems to be very different in every country, in France for instance I know they are very much recognized. It seems to be very similar to Physiatry but it's not, except the Mezierist ramifications.. A physiatrist said me once that when he began to study Osteopathy, he was close to burn all the medical books he had when he study Physiatry. I see it as something as a paralel western medicine. But anyway my daughter is and was always treated only by a physistrist, a very much recognized one. I'm worried because she is close to not work any more..

Comment

Certainly Osteopathy seems to be very different in every country
                    In my country and others, only physicians and physiatrists may study Osteophaty.

Comment

Osteopaths and Physiatrists are able to treat not only pain.
                      What else do physiatrists treat in scoliosis besides pain???? Physiatrists are pain doctors.

Osteopaths are like medical doctors but I don't know if they have an orthopedic surgical specialty.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

In my country and others, only physicians and physiatrists may study Osteophaty.
                        In the US as far as I know, there are medical schools which train medical doctors including orthopedic surgeons and physiatrists (rehab doctors).

A parallel track to medical school is school of osteopathy which has the same requirements as medical school to graduate plus some other stuff. It is less competitive than medical school apparently. That may or may not matter to you. It matters to me.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

What else do physiatrists treat in scoliosis besides pain???? Physiatrists are pain doctors.

Osteopaths are like medical doctors but I don't know if they have an orthopedic surgical specialty.
                          In some countries physiatrists are not pain doctors as probably are in yours, I'm not sure. In Spain I know there are pain doctors and also physiatrists, they are differents disciplines. Certainly physiatry is an 'extension' (1 year more) of Kinesiología (It seems to have not translation to English). It's the scientist study of the human movement using the principles of the physical sciences, and consequently, the study of kinesiology spans multiple disciplines https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinesiolog%C3%ADa
                          They try to improve movility, flexibility, posture.. of course also to avoid pain which in turn would be against all of that. So in scoliosis is very much that pain what they treat. Schroth I think could be seen as a pysiatrist method, but they are not physiatrists as I know. SEAS probably is a Physiatrist method, I'm not sure.

Comment

• Why not a new study with scoliosis.org ?

Hi everybody,

Let suppose that Yoga pose provide results, it seems to me that it is more adapted to a C shape scoliosis than a S shape ?

Mr Fishman seems to be a generous man that care about scoliosis I think i undertood he wanted to improve the study, may be we can propose him a new study with people from here registered in scoliosis.org for example 20 persons or more during 6 months with X-ray made before and after ? only with adults because if the curve can be corrected in an adult, it will works more easy for a children.
                            We can ask that project to be funded from people all other the world.

Then a free online course can be done and made available to everybody in case of positive results.
                            As flerc said, we don't need to be a surgeon to see a curve reduction, we only need x-ray before and after what is missing in the previous study ...
                            Last edited by edouard; 07-16-2015, 04:16 PM.
                            ------------------------------
                            39 years old
                            Large C shape thoracic scoliosis 40° right side
                            Had a brace during childhood
                            At 20 years old my scoliosis ended 30°
                            New innovative static brace since nov 2016 with 40-50% correction inbrace
                            Waiting to get in 2017 the first dynamic brace that will be corrective.

Comment

• It's Mr. Fishman, not fisherman :-)

Ask him and let us know, you can find his profile on FB.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alistair View Post
                                It's Mr. Fishman, not fisherman :-)

Ask him and let us know, you can find his profile on FB.
                                Actually it's Dr. Fisherman, er, I mean Fishman. :-)

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                                X