Sitting in chairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sitting in chairs

Does anyone else have trouble sitting in chairs where the seat is tilted back? For some reason, this is very painful for me. I am fused T1-L4. I can sit in chairs that have an even seat, and where the legs are all upright and not at an angle. But most chairs are tilted back and the rear legs are at an angle...why do they make chairs like this? Is it painful for the rest of you too? maybe its because my hardware goes down low?

I still have trouble sitting. To sit totally upright is ok but on an angle it just doesn't work I am fused t-2 to pelvis. If my legs are straight out then I must sit like a Pilates v.not too comfortable.
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Comment

I was fused two years ago from t-4 to sacrum and I am only able to sit comfortably straight up in a chair. I can't recline in my recliner anymore but must put two small pillows behind my back. It doesn't hurt to lean back it is just very uncomfortable. I carry a small pillow in my car to use in church, in restaurants, movie theaters, etc. At home I also have to sit with my feet on the floor and not up or extended in my recliner. Straight back chairs are the most comfortable for me now and I guess they will be from now on.
      Jane

Comment

I am fused C2 to sacrum. I am in agreement with the rest of the ladies that wrote in.

Melissa
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Straight chairs for me too. Frequently the seat is too deep, so I need to place a pillow at the back for comfort.

Unsure why they made such chairs. They were not comfortable for me before I was fused!

Susan
          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
          2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
          2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
          2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
          2018: Removal L4,5 screw
          2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Same here. Fused t6 to sacrum and fine with sitting on straight or office chairs, but angled ones are uncomfortable.
            I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
            45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
            A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

I think I am the odd ball of the group. I find being able to recline in my office chair doesn't hurt as much as straight up and down. But if I really want to sit without pain then I break out the exercise ball and use it as a chair. Not only does it feel great but it works to strengthen the core muscles at the same time.

Tamena
              Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Someone who had also had Scoli surgery did give me the suggestion to always slide forward to the edge of the chair before standing up...sounds really basic, but I don't think I had been doing this. It's especially important when the seat is low, like my car seat, or tilted back. I guess it loads the spine less if you scoot forward first.

Comment

Working...
                X