Fifa's Surgery 11/10/14 with Dr. Buchowski

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cell phone strap

Just wanted to add another item that helped me in hospital -- cell phone strap with a neck lanyard.

I didn't put the neck lanyard around my neck, bur rather looped it through the upper bed rails so I could snap the phone in. At home I did wear the phone around my neck for few days - esp first week while I was alone during the day. Just in case I fell and couldn't get up I'd be able to call for help since phone was attache to me.

http://amzn.com/B002Q413MM

Link to the one I got ( I have amazon prime so I was able to order it few days before surgery and have it in time). I picked a seller that offered prime option -- some of the sellers selling that same item are over seas.

The phone strap comes in two parts so I could leave the long neck strap attached to bed and detach the phone while in use. The center silver button releases the silver ring to detach. I kept the phone attached to the long neck strap when I wasn't using it.

Also had a very long charge cord so I could easily reach the charge cord to plug/unplug without help.

I had my PTs and nurses comment how great the idea of keeping the phone tethered to a strap and attached to bed was. I have an inkling they often have to retrieve dropped phones for patients.
    30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
    2005 - T50, L31
    bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
    2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
    Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Originally posted by green m&m View Post
      Just wanted to add another item that helped me in hospital -- cell phone strap with a neck lanyard.

I didn't put the neck lanyard around my neck, bur rather looped it through the upper bed rails so I could snap the phone in. At home I did wear the phone around my neck for few days - esp first week while I was alone during the day. Just in case I fell and couldn't get up I'd be able to call for help since phone was attache to me.

http://amzn.com/B002Q413MM

Link to the one I got ( I have amazon prime so I was able to order it few days before surgery and have it in time). I picked a seller that offered prime option -- some of the sellers selling that same item are over seas.

The phone strap comes in two parts so I could leave the long neck strap attached to bed and detach the phone while in use. The center silver button releases the silver ring to detach. I kept the phone attached to the long neck strap when I wasn't using it.

Also had a very long charge cord so I could easily reach the charge cord to plug/unplug without help.

I had my PTs and nurses comment how great the idea of keeping the phone tethered to a strap and attached to bed was. I have an inkling they often have to retrieve dropped phones for patients.

Hi,

This is a great tip - thank you! Now, I have three things on my "must have" list. LOL

When we were at Barnes a week ago this past Wednesday, hubby and I both were dismayed because our cell phones didn't work very well there. Most places, we couldn't get a signal and had to move near a window to get a call to go through. I may have to take my tablet and e-mail hubby instead of text. I hate to take both, but I also want to be able to communicate (especially since hubby will be commuting back and forth).

Thanks again - hope you are well! (smiley)

Fifa

Comment

Fifa,
        My husband and I discovered that you need to log onto the wifi network there for phones to work. Now down where they do the myelogram's they do have a blocker for some reason and in a few other selected areas, but the rooms have good signal.

I hated reading your experience with your pre-op visit. I assure you, they have top notch surgical teams and compassionate nursing staff.

Praying for you!
        Tamena
        Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Originally posted by tae_tap View Post
          Fifa,
          My husband and I discovered that you need to log onto the wifi network there for phones to work. Now down where they do the myelogram's they do have a blocker for some reason and in a few other selected areas, but the rooms have good signal.

I hated reading your experience with your pre-op visit. I assure you, they have top notch surgical teams and compassionate nursing staff.

Praying for you!
          Tamena
          Hi, Tamena!

Sometimes I put an extra "e" in your name - sorry about that!! (smiley)

Thanks for the head's up about the wifi there. Maybe it was because we were so close to radiology - that happens here in Columbia at Boone around the radiology department. Someone told me that the walls are lead there or have lead in them because of all the radiation (have no idea if that is true or not). We couldn't get a signal in Dr. B's office at Barnes at the "south" part of the hospital. I'll shoot Megan an e-mail and ask how to log onto the wifi...if you know how and can share, that would be great! That's the last piece of the puzzle, I think, before surgery (the last thing I'm worried about). I think I've said this elsewhere, but we have a 15-year-old doggie who gets Tramadol twice a day for his arthritis, so hubby will med him up in the morning, go to St. Louis to be with me during the day, and then come home at night to give our boy his nighttime pill. Doubt there is much hubby can do for me in the hospital anyway. (smiley) I pray the hospital time goes fast and that I don't need to stay for rehab. Will be doing all I can to get out of there ASAP.

Yes, the preop visit was a bit of a nightmare. Trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, though - I mean, I was hurting and it was such a long day for me, plus with all the chaos, we really didn't have time to eat and so we were cranky. I'm pretty patient about snafus and scheduling problems...all we could think when we were there is "we're going to have to come back another day to get all of this done." Part of my problem, too, was/is just being out of my element. I've worked at two of the three hospitals here in Columbia and am very familiar with the third, so just going to Barnes and being in unfamiliar territory is a bit chaotic. Barnes is HUGE! It was a ten-minute walk from the hotel (north side lot) where we parked, and had to get all the way to the south side for the appointments with CPAP and Dr. B. It was a hike for me. After the myelo, hubby pushed me in a wheelchair, so that made it better. It was just such a long day. I poop out now after about three or four hours of sitting - the preop visit (including travel time) ended up being a 14-hour day.

We have the utmost faith in our team...we both adore Dr. B and Megan. I've pushed the rotten preop visit to the back of my brain and am moving forward with nothing but positive thoughts!

Hope you are doing well. Are you gearing up for your visit? We've been told we'll be discharged on Saturday, November 15th, (surgery is Monday the 10th). I don't know if we'll see you or not. We're coming on the 9th and spending the night - I hope to see Peggy if I can. Prayers still going up for her and for you!!

Take care - hugs to you!
          Fifa

Comment

I will come in on the 17th and stay at the hotel. I have pre-op on the 18th and then we will stay at a family member that lives about 30 minutes away (which is better than my 4 hours away) until the 20th. So unfortunatelly we probably won't pass each other on this trip. Maybe at a post op apt later on.

Your poor husband is going to be tired of that drive. The hospital visit will go fast because you will be in and out so much you will probably lose track of the day. That can be a good thing. As far as the wifi goes, it is an open network so just log on like you do any other time and it will pop up an agreement. Once you accept your good to go. You may have to accept the agreement more than once if you are not active for a while.

Barnes is large! And when we try to fit so much into one day it turns into an overwhelmeing day. I usually stay at the hotel because after so much poking I am not about to ride for four hours home. That is even more painful.

One thing that may ease your mind is if you forget something to bring you probably don't need it and if you do they probably have it. So don't stress too much.

Another thing that helped me coming home with my clothes is have a coue front snap bras because it is tough to actually snap in the back for a while and the hooks are uncomfortable at first.

Your almost there, so continue to breathe. Take a day for you before surgery to do whatever you live to pamper yourself be it a massage, mani/pedi, hair done, or a movie to help reduce the nerves.

Tamena (and no worries on the spelling of my name. Most people can't even pronounce it. Hehe!)

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Hi, everyone. Logging in with my tablet to see how this works. I will miss my laptop while in the hospital!!

Fifa

Comment

Fifa-- it worked great. We will love hearing from you. You are almost there! How exciting! Just think about all of us who went through if you should feel discouraged at some point. We scolis are tough as nails. You will sail through it. It will make you an even stronger person with a stronger back.

After all your preparations, you'll have plenty of time to rest in the hospital. (Although they do try to get you up and walking as soon as possible!) Best wishes and prayers for a most successful surgery and easy and fast recovery. Hugs, Susie
                71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Tablets are definitely harder to type on but they are so portable and convenient.

This surgery reminds me of the shots we used to do to the moon. We go fully knowing it is risky and yet we embrace it. So we travel to the moon (under anesthesia) but the journey back is like re-entry was for the astronauts. Our world is almost shaken apart. There is no communication with the outside world for a time and everybody scans the sky looking for the capsule. When it is spotted, everyone is joyful! But the journey is not over yet, the parachute must be deployed safely and the astronauts retrieved. They are weak from living without gravity, but this passes and life goes on.
                  Before 39* lumbar at age 18, progressed to 74* lumbar and 22* thoracic age 55
                  ALIF Jan 13, 2015, PLIF Jan 15, 2015 with Dr William Stevens, Honor Health
                  Fused T-7 to S-1 with pelvic fixation

After 38* lumbar

Xrays
                  Before: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...7&d=1414268930

After: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...6&d=1424894360

Comment

Fifa,

Do you have to go in the day before for a central line to be put in?

Tamena

Braced till age 15

Comment

I will come in on the 17th and stay at the hotel. I have pre-op on the 18th and then we will stay at a family member that lives about 30 minutes away (which is better than my 4 hours away) until the 20th. So unfortunatelly we probably won't pass each other on this trip. Maybe at a post op apt later on.

Your poor husband is going to be tired of that drive. The hospital visit will go fast because you will be in and out so much you will probably lose track of the day. That can be a good thing. As far as the wifi goes, it is an open network so just log on like you do any other time and it will pop up an agreement. Once you accept your good to go. You may have to accept the agreement more than once if you are not active for a while.

Barnes is large! And when we try to fit so much into one day it turns into an overwhelmeing day. I usually stay at the hotel because after so much poking I am not about to ride for four hours home. That is even more painful.

One thing that may ease your mind is if you forget something to bring you probably don't need it and if you do they probably have it. So don't stress too much.

Another thing that helped me coming home with my clothes is have a coue front snap bras because it is tough to actually snap in the back for a while and the hooks are uncomfortable at first.

Your almost there, so continue to breathe. Take a day for you before surgery to do whatever you live to pamper yourself be it a massage, mani/pedi, hair done, or a movie to help reduce the nerves.

Tamena (and no worries on the spelling of my name. Most people can't even pronounce it. Hehe!)
                      Hi,

Yes, the drive will be tiresome, but his company has several "spurs" in the St. Louis area, so he is kind of used to the drive. Good tip about the front close bra - I figured I would just go without. HA!

I'm also toying with the idea of cutting my hair REALLY short. I think my long hair will be a pain later on - thinking of a pixie cut!

Hugs to you!
                      Fifa

Comment

Originally posted by Susie*Bee View Post
                        Fifa-- it worked great. We will love hearing from you. You are almost there! How exciting! Just think about all of us who went through if you should feel discouraged at some point. We scolis are tough as nails. You will sail through it. It will make you an even stronger person with a stronger back.

After all your preparations, you'll have plenty of time to rest in the hospital. (Although they do try to get you up and walking as soon as possible!) Best wishes and prayers for a most successful surgery and easy and fast recovery. Hugs, Susie
                        Thanks, Susie! It's getting closer every day. I'm SO ready!

Hugs to you - thanks for the prayers!
                        Fifa

Comment

Fifa,

Do you have to go in the day before for a central line to be put in?

Tamena
                          Hi,

No, I don't - no central line. Hopefully not another thing I didn't know about! Yesterday's bombshell - no recliner! WHAT???? I just bought a new recliner!!!

I tells ya, if you don't have a sense of humor, I don't know how you'd get through this stuff. (smiley)

I have to be at Barnes at 5:30 a.m. Monday morning. Do you have to have a central line? I don't think Peggy had one, but not sure...

Take care - praying for you!
                          Fifa

Comment

Fifa, it seems fairly normal in the US to have the central line put in the day or so before surgery. But my dr. didn't require it, however I woke up with one.

Just wanted to add my best wishes for a successful surgery and smooth recovery. You're on the home run now, and you sound great!
                            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by fifa View Post
                              Hi,

Yes, the drive will be tiresome, but his company has several "spurs" in the St. Louis area, so he is kind of used to the drive. Good tip about the front close bra - I figured I would just go without. HA!

I'm also toying with the idea of cutting my hair REALLY short. I think my long hair will be a pain later on - thinking of a pixie cut!

Hugs to you!
                              Fifa
                              I did the pixie cut for my surgery too thinking long hair would be too hard. I did wish I had the long hair afterwards because you could just throw it up in a hair tie. I found that the short hair has to be blow dried in order to look good and my arms were unable to handle the dryer (I have thick hair) until about 5-6 months.

Going without the bra was the best! I hated clothes period touching me for a little while.

Time is getting closer.

((((hugs))))
                              Tamena

Braced till age 15

Comment

Originally posted by fifa View Post
                                Hi,

No, I don't - no central line. Hopefully not another thing I didn't know about! Yesterday's bombshell - no recliner! WHAT???? I just bought a new recliner!!!

I tells ya, if you don't have a sense of humor, I don't know how you'd get through this stuff. (smiley)

I have to be at Barnes at 5:30 a.m. Monday morning. Do you have to have a central line? I don't think Peggy had one, but not sure...

Take care - praying for you!
                                Fifa
                                I did have a central line put in the day prior to surgery. It makes it easier during the hospital stay. Everything is done through it so no extra poking and proding. I know it is something Lenke and Kelly do for all their big surgeries. I was scared to death and found it was really easy.

No recliner? I did not know that. We too bought one prior to surgery and it is the only thing I find comfortable to be in. I probably would never have left my bed for six months without it.

You have to have a sense of humor to make it through all of this. Without it we would become bears, hehe!

Tamena

Braced till age 15

Comment

Working...
                                X