Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fifa View Post
    Hi, all -

I thought I would ask the question I've not seen asked or answered on the forum.

I've been worried about what is referred to as the "wake up test." I'm told that I'll be awakened during surgery and asked to perform some maneuvers with my feet and legs (stepping on the gas, etc.) to make sure everything is still working the way it should. I was told that I won't remember any of this. Do any of you remember this part of your surgery? This scares the crud out of me, mostly because of being intubated and awake, I guess. Were any of you scared about it?

I would love to hear your thoughts and comments.

Thanks!
    Fifa
    Fifa,
    Do not worry about the wake up test. You will not remember it during the surgery. The only time I remember is the very last time and I was still so drugged I didn't feel any pain. You just have a ton of people telling you to lift your legs, point your toes, and push on the gas pedal. I was terrified of the test as well, but rest assure it is one of the many things that will not even remain in your memory bank.

Tamena
    Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

I remember somebody telling me to move my legs and then saying: "Good enough", and then I dosed off. But I thought it happened in the recovery room, was it a wake up test in the operating room? Linda, do they do a wake up test at UCSF?
      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

I could imagine the wake up test being quite confusing if you own a Tesla. Its electric and has no gas pedal.....or if one uses a horse. “Doc, if I pull on the reins, will that work?” (smiley face)

There hasn’t been much chatter on the wake up test subject since many surgeons rely on SSEP’s and or various nerve monitoring equipment....I didn’t have a wake up test, but they did wake me after my anterior during my stage looking for permission to continue on the posterior. It was like a dream, “Ed you ok? Can we continue on?” Was I going to say no? In and out with a twist of a valve. I was awake for 10 seconds and of course didn’t feel anything at all.

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Yes, I remember the wake up test and it was fine. Don't worry about it. And yes, Ed, I had all the wiring or whatever and there was a neurologist watching everything also. It was just one more thing. Fifa, what I remember is that they woke me up, but I was still sort of in a twilight type zone, and they asked me to wiggle my toes and move my feet, etc., and I remember thinking "good, I'm still here"... (big smile) and then off I went back to sleep. I didn't feel any pain or anything. Don't sweat it.
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi Fifa!
            I was reading through your thread and it sounds like everyone has given you so much good advice I probably will just be redundant! But I did want to wish you well so I thought I'd say hi.

I read that you were sad about yoga and I can really relate. Not sure what type you practiced and sorry if you already discussed this, but maybe you could look into Iyengar when you're healed post surgery. It uses a lot of props and emphasizes form and balance.

I miss being able to practice like I did presurgery but I've found I can modify poses and even the gentlest poses bring me a little relief now. Once I get my pain situation under control I hope to keep adding poses.

There is a yoga studio in NY that specializes in yoga for scoliosis and even offers classes for fused folks. So it is possible, just different of course.

Best of luck to you- I will be thinking of you!
            Surgery Jan 6, 2014 at 38 yrs
            Posterior Fusion T10-L4, osteotomy 1 lev.
            Pre op-Thoracolumbar Curve-50 degrees

Comment

Hi Fifa,

Are you ok? You haven't posted for awhile, but I know you're busy & trying to 'wrap your head' around your upcoming surgery. Did the pre-testing go ok? We're on our way!
              Peg
              61 yrs old
              75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
              T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
              Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Originally posted by green m&m View Post
                Also, regarding the wake up test. I didn't ask about it/wasn't told I'd have one ( I was on neuro monitor entire time to make sure nothing they were doing was going to result in neurological deficit ).

But I can offer insight on being aware while intubated. I was kept intubated overnight -- I did wake up couple of times, but wasn't scared or concerned about the endotracheal tube in my throat. It didn't cause discomfort.

I remember being annoyed at my nurse that she kept on 'hiding' my hands under the blanket when I tried to point at my lips in hopes of getting some lip balm or even a smear of vasaline because my lips felt dry. LOL. She was afraid I'd extubate myself.

For all we know you may end up being annoyed at that bunch of people are yelling at you to do stuff when you feel sleepy and want to go back to sleep. (Which is what happened first time I got general anesthesia and they were waking me up. I was annoyed as heck bunch of ladies were yelling at me because I wanted to sleep for five more minutes)
                Hi,

That made me laugh - couldn't they have just handed you a pad and a pen??? Hugs to you - thanks for the info!
                Fifa

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                  I was told I'd be having the wake up test as well. I worried I would be in pain and paralysed. My surgeon told me I wouldn't remember it and I don't. Please don't worry about it. I'm not even sure of the wisdom of telling patients this, because it sounds very scary but it's nothing to worry about. Put it out of your head and give yourself some peace.
                  Thank you! It has been bothering me since they told us about it two years ago. This past Wednesday, Megan (Dr. B's nurse) said they hardly ever do it anymore because of neural monitoring throughout the procedure, but I should still practice "putting on the gas." (smiley)

Take care!
                  Fifa

Comment

Originally posted by Susie*Bee View Post
                    Yes, I remember the wake up test and it was fine. Don't worry about it. And yes, Ed, I had all the wiring or whatever and there was a neurologist watching everything also. It was just one more thing. Fifa, what I remember is that they woke me up, but I was still sort of in a twilight type zone, and they asked me to wiggle my toes and move my feet, etc., and I remember thinking "good, I'm still here"... (big smile) and then off I went back to sleep. I didn't feel any pain or anything. Don't sweat it.
                    Thanks, Susie Bee - very helpful! (smiley)

Fifa

Comment

Originally posted by springchicken View Post
                      Hi Fifa!
                      I was reading through your thread and it sounds like everyone has given you so much good advice I probably will just be redundant! But I did want to wish you well so I thought I'd say hi.

I read that you were sad about yoga and I can really relate. Not sure what type you practiced and sorry if you already discussed this, but maybe you could look into Iyengar when you're healed post surgery. It uses a lot of props and emphasizes form and balance.

I miss being able to practice like I did presurgery but I've found I can modify poses and even the gentlest poses bring me a little relief now. Once I get my pain situation under control I hope to keep adding poses.

There is a yoga studio in NY that specializes in yoga for scoliosis and even offers classes for fused folks. So it is possible, just different of course.

Best of luck to you- I will be thinking of you!
                      Hi!

Thanks for your reply. The yoga I practice is Kripalu. No, I hadn't really discussed it before, but honestly, it has saved my life and I think will be extremely beneficial during the recovery phase. What it taught me was to "push through," so to speak. This is hard to explain and obviously is just my own opinion. Trying to hold a pose, concentrating on the breath and everything you are feeling, and being able to hold that pose for even another millisecond past the point you think you can take no more....well, that was HUGE for me. I realized that when the body starts to fail and everything in your brain tells you to quit, you can find the strength somewhere to carry on, even if just for another minute or two. It is so much deeper than what I'm trying to say here, but you get the drift. LOL Practicing yoga, especially these days just the meditation and being mindful of the breath, has made me more tolerant of my own pain, other people, etc. So, I'll be breathing and "pushing through" in the next weeks and months.

My yoga teacher assures me that, if I want to attend class, there are poses that I can do while others mirror what he is doing. It will be a long time, I think, before I go back to class. I will look into Iyengar - thanks for the tip!

Good luck to you - namaste!
                      Fifa

Comment

Originally posted by PeggyS View Post
                        Hi Fifa,

Are you ok? You haven't posted for awhile, but I know you're busy & trying to 'wrap your head' around your upcoming surgery. Did the pre-testing go ok? We're on our way!
                        Hi, Peg!

This past week has been just an absolute blur. Thankfully, I can report that the preop testing is finally over. YAY! The myelogram went well Wednesday, for which I'm thankful because I had been dreading it SO MUCH!

I'm really not much of a whiner, but Wednesday at Barnes really tried my patience. Myelo was scheduled for 9:30 a.m., and that went great. Virtually pain free. I had the two docs laughing, so that's something. (smiley) After the myelo, the guy came to wheel me up to the third floor to recover. Third floor didn't want me, so after a discussion amongst several people I couldn't see (I was on a gurney facing the wall), they took me back to the second floor. Another discussion/argument ensued, and then I was taken back to the third floor where clearly I wasn't wanted. The nurse told me that I had spent so long in the hall/elevator that I only had about ten more minutes to "recover." I asked if I could have something to drink and maybe a cracker (this is what they do at my hospital), and she said (jokingly) that she wasn't the cafeteria. I appreciated the humor but felt like maybe I wasn't getting the proper post-procedure care. I asked if I should be sitting up and pushing caffeine, and the nurse basically says "whatever works."

Should also mention that the CT tech, when I was wheeled into the CT area, said, "your back, huh? I have a bad back, too, from moving patients around, but I would NEVER have a fusion, not after what I've seen here." Uh, fella - I've worked in a couple of hospitals for most of my adult life, and trust me, no preop patient needs to hear that.

So, after having "recovered" from the myelogram, we reported to "CPAP," which means something totally different to me with my medical background and probably anyone else who has experience with sleep apnea. LOL. That's the name for their patient registration area. Okay, so now it is 12:30 p.m. and they don't have my appointment scheduled. So, they sent us back to Dr. B's office on the 6th floor. They sent us for x-rays, which took an hour, then back to Dr. B's office. They sent us back to CPAP. CPAP says to come back at 2:30 p.m. and they would try to work me in. Dr. B's office said to be there in his office between 3 and 3:30 p.m. (our original appointment was for 3:30 p.m.) or we would miss the doctor (the whole point of the visit). So, we sat in Dr. B's office from 2:45 p.m. until 4:20 p.m. thinking they would see us and then we would head back to CPAP for the rest. We went through all the preop info with Dr. B and Megan in about 20 minutes flat, and then rushed back to CPAP at 4:45 p.m. (they close at 5:00 p.m.) We left Barnes at 6:20 p.m.

Megan has called the house and apologized profusely - not really their fault. Suffice it to say that I was terribly upset - I was in tears when I went to get Megan at around 4:00 p.m. I should also say that we hadn't eaten, had had the crappy experience in radiology, and I just plain didn't feel well after the myelo. Told them all that I had the utmost faith in Dr. B and his team. The visit Wednesday really tried my patience. I'm over it now, but geez, Louise, it was a long day. We left Columbia at 7 a.m. and got home at 9:20 p.m. I was exhausted.

Friday was the stress test, which also went well, but I got pretty nauseated with the drugs. I toughed it out for nearly an hour and then found out they had meds to reverse the effects (rather than recover from them). In less than a minute after getting those drugs, I was better. Spent yesterday laying low - I'm exhausted still.

We were told Wednesday that health care folks are the worst patients, but honestly, I think the experience would have troubled anyone. If anything, I think we were more understanding about the snafu than a non-health-care-worker would have been.

It's been kind of a crappy week here - I'm just ready to get it over with at this point. I envy you that your surgery is tomorrow. Would trade places with you in a heartbeat!!!

Candles are lit here for you, Peg - please know my prayers and healing energy will be directed to you in the next days and weeks!

Fifa

Comment

Winding Down and Gearing Up

Hi, everyone -

It is Sunday night and my thoughts are on my own upcoming surgery, but especially with Peggy tonight as she starts her journey bright and early tomorrow morning. Prayers going up and East! (big smiles)

Thank you all for your posts and for sharing your journeys with me. This is a huge decision and one I'm not taking lightly. My doctor tells us that his only goal of surgery is to stop the progression of the curve, and of course, I want that. Some days I have very mixed emotions - I'm sure you all did, too. No doubt, I will be in a wheelchair soon without surgery, so I am hopeful that the surgery will stop the progression of the curve and also offer some pain relief. Were you all up and down in the weeks prior to surgery??

It seems every time we meet with the doctor, we get another few nuggets of information that send us reeling. Maybe I'm just overly emotional right now. On Wednesday, we found out that I wouldn't be allowed to tub bathe until the fusion has healed, so that is nine months out. This troubles me because so many of you seemed to get pain/muscle spasm relief with hot baths. We thought about getting a walk-in tub, but when seated in one of those, it appears the water only goes to the waist (not much relief for a scoli patient). I see portable hot tubs at a couple of the big box stores here, so maybe that is the way to go. Ed, I think you mentioned having a hot tub - could you maneuver in and out of it without bending or twisting? They told us that in a standard tub, they've found there's no way to get in and out without breaking the BLT precautions, so, no bathing allowed! Ugh.

Found out we need to be at the hospital at 5:30 a.m. on the morning of surgery (surgery is at 7:30 a.m. and will go until 2:30-3:00 p.m.). Also found out that the day before, I should be on a clear liquid diet. Had planned to have dinner with friends the night before, so, only soup for me! LOL Again, I'm sort of bogged down in the details right now.

Some days, I handle everything like a champ, and other days, I'm all to pieces. The biggest problem right now is that everything seems so darned hard! I told my bosses last week that, in all of this preparation for surgery, I feel just pretty awful. It is getting harder and harder to go to work and be productive. After just three or four hours of sitting, all I can think about is coming home and lying down. I'm cranky when I hurt, which is getting to be pretty often these days. Everything, even just breathing, is a struggle. I'm tired. I'm ready to get it over with and see what happens on the other side. I'm trying to be grateful - even made a list of all the things I'm grateful for (family, good friends, great insurance, great job, understanding bosses, the best puppy in the world LOL, etc.). Some days, staying positive is exhausting.

I'm glad to have all the preop stuff over with and now can just countdown to surgery and a new life with my expensive bionic spine. The financial paperwork is on its way to the hospital - maybe they'll take pity on us and help with the BMP (doubtful but hopeful).

Hoping you all are well - hugs to everyone. Thanks for your great advice and insight.

Fifa

Comment

Originally posted by fifa View Post
                            Hi,

That made me laugh - couldn't they have just handed you a pad and a pen??? Hugs to you - thanks for the info!
                            Fifa
                            That was before I was really fully awake, so my eyes weren't even open. If I had my eyes open I'd have talked with my eyes and gestured enough to get a pen and paper to write but all my attempts at point to lips and hiding of hands happened during the short lucid moments during what I believe was the night shift.

Apparently I also signed to my boyfriend (minored in sign language back in school) and shook my fist at him when he said he didn't understand. Pretty sure I asked for lip balm...

I hate dry lips.
                            30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
                            2005 - T50, L31
                            bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
                            2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
                            Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Originally posted by green m&m View Post
                              That was before I was really fully awake, so my eyes weren't even open. If I had my eyes open I'd have talked with my eyes and gestured enough to get a pen and paper to write but all my attempts at point to lips and hiding of hands happened during the short lucid moments during what I believe was the night shift.

Apparently I also signed to my boyfriend (minored in sign language back in school) and shook my fist at him when he said he didn't understand. Pretty sure I asked for lip balm...

I hate dry lips.
                              Hi,

I hate dry lips, too. Will put lip balm on my list and tell hubby to keep me balmed up! LOL Thanks for your reply. Months ago, I saw that someone had said to bring a hair tie/band to keep on your wrist to keep the PCA close by. Hubby has already been instructed on that, too.

Thanks again - take care!
                              Fifa

Comment

Getting Ready

Hi, everyone -

I had my final preop tests this past Friday and got the results today - I'm A-OK to proceed with surgery. Everything else (PFTs, DEXA scan, and bloodwork) are all good.

The last couple of weeks have been very chaotic here, but I'm happy to say that things are finally calming down, so maybe now I can calm down, too. Work is in good shape, the house is ready, my support team is in place.

Next week, I plan not to worry about anything and just BREATHE. I'm actually looking forward to what I call "flipping the switch." I'm going to turn off everything that I can't change and/or get done before surgery and just focus on me and get mentally at peace with what is about to happen. Don't know how to explain it, but I'm fully informed about what is going to happen and have prepared myself, but for the last couple of weeks (on and off) I've had a few pity parties. Will be letting go of that shortly and focusing primarily on gratitude.

My mood is getting a bit better. My doc and the preop nurse at Barnes have stopped nearly all my meds - my ibuprofen is no more. That was the only thing I've been taking for pain for the past four years...that and using lidocaine patches. Anyway, they stopped my multivitamin, ibuprofen, nicotine gum, etc. Tylenol isn't helping me with the pain. So, I've been struggling the last week to cope, but am doing better. As the little things at work get crossed off my list, the load is getting lighter and I feel better.

Thanks to all of you who have replied. Surgery is a week from Monday, and I am READY! Thoughts and prayers up for Peggy and also Tamena, and everyone else in scoli-land. (huge smiley)

Hugs!
                                Fifa

Comment

Working...
                                X