Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peggy's Scoliosis Surgery: the journey begins on 10/27!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peggy good luck
    Kara
    Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
    Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
    T4-L2
    Before 50T
    After 20T

Comment

It's 8pm Monday night here so I'm thinking the time must be close now. Thinking of you Peggy! Best wishes from Australia.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Praying all goes well!
        Tamena
        Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Out of Surgery

This is Peggy's daughter, Jenn. She asked me to post details about her surgery. It was 10.5 hours from the time they wheeled her away to the time she went into recovery. Her nurse called every 1.5 hours on the dot with updates to let us know the surgery was going as expected. After spending an hour in recovery, they took her to ICU where we were able to see her. Her face is swollen but not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. She was talking, asking questions and was in a good mood for what she had just gone through. She wasn't complaining of pain tonight but is bothered by how tight her back feels. She kept telling us she wanted to roll on her side. As far as the actual procedure, I don't know many details, and we haven't seen any before and after images yet.

Thank you for checking on my mom! I'll try to post more for her tomorrow if we get more details.
          Peg
          61 yrs old
          75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
          T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
          Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Jenn

Thanks for the update on your mom. It is very hard to get comfortable after scoliosis surgery and everything feels so stiff and strange.....Just tell her its normal and to hang in there....

Congratulations!

Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I'm glad she's doing well, and I hope her recovery goes smoothly!
              Karen

Mom to Girl Child diagnosed with 84* and 91* curves in Aug 2014 at age 11.5.
              Surgeries scheduled for Nov 10, 14, and 17.

Comment

Yes, absolutely normal! I wanted to roll onto my side as well and asked the ICU nurse if I could. I was allowed but it was even more uncomfortable on my side, so I was rolled back! For a while, it will feel like she's wearing a back-pack but soon that feeling will fade as well.

So far she sounds like she's doing great! Thanks for the update, Jenn.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thank you for the update. The new hardware brings "morning stiffness" to a whole new level! It takes time to not fight that feeling. I am glad that all went well.
                  T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                  C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                  T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                  C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                  Right scapulectomy 6/15
                  Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                  To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                  Broken neck 9/28/2018
                  Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                  Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                  Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                  Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                  Osteotomy

Comment

Yes, thank you so much for letting us know how she is doing. It sounds like all is well and what a great daughter you are to be there with her and being so supportive. We appreciative your taking the time to get in touch with us. Give your mother our best and that we send our healing wishes and prayers.
                    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I'm so glad to hear she is doing well and in good spirits. Great news!
                      Surgery Jan 6, 2014 at 38 yrs
                      Posterior Fusion T10-L4, osteotomy 1 lev.
                      Pre op-Thoracolumbar Curve-50 degrees

Comment

Thanks for the update! Praying for quick healing.

Tamena

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Day 2 or 3?

This is Jenn again. My mom wants to know if the day of surgery counts as "day 1?" She's in a lot of pain today. She was moved out of ICU to the orthopedic floor. She was told that there is a big improvement on Day 3, so if this is day 3, she's not seeing the improvement!
                          Peg
                          61 yrs old
                          75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
                          T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
                          Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Every person is different at the stages of improvement. I did not have any decrease in pain until day 6-7 and even then going home there was pain for the next two weeks. Just tell her to take it one step at a time and do not compare her recovery to that of anyone else because she is her own unique individual, but it will get easier.

Praying for you Peggy!
                            Tamena

Braced till age 15

Comment

Originally posted by PeggyS View Post
                              This is Jenn again. My mom wants to know if the day of surgery counts as "day 1?" She's in a lot of pain today. She was moved out of ICU to the orthopedic floor. She was told that there is a big improvement on Day 3, so if this is day 3, she's not seeing the improvement!
                              Hi, Jenn -

Please tell Peggy that she is in my prayers (as are you and your dad). I think Tuesday would have been day one (postop day one), so Thursday (tomorrow) is day three. I'll keep praying for her. Is she in a private room?

Very happy to know that surgery went well. I haven't had a chance to pop in here, but I sure have been praying for her.

Take care. Very glad you are posting!
                              Fifa

Comment

Every minute that passes, the body heals itself....and after scoliosis surgery, there is a lot of healing going on. Everything has been moved into its new shape, bone removed, ground away, drilled into, soft tissues and nerves moved and prodded.....edema, swelling, ileus, and the general shock of it all on top of all the strong medications can be an unpleasant experience. It hurts, and its really hard to get comfortable.

As time passes we wonder when we will feel better, I remember watching the second hand on the clock waiting for the next shot. I was begging for shots for 8 days, but they do reduce, and it this reduction that hurts...The transfer to orals medications can be hard because they don’t compare, but this has to be done since its part of the weaning process. Do not leave the hospital unless she is off all the shots and weaned to oral medications.

Getting up and walking with the walker is extremely important right now.....these walks get easier in time.

The 1st shower will come in a few more days.....this really makes you feel so much better. I was around 7 days before I took my 1st shower.

Has she eaten any solid foods yet, or is she still on ice chips?

Ed
                                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                                X