Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peggy's Scoliosis Surgery: the journey begins on 10/27!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck Peggy. I'm not on here as much as I used to be as it's 5.5 years since my surgery, however, I've been popping in and following your journey as I'm sure many others have as well.

I'll be thinking of you and wishing you the best possible result and the smoothest recovery. We will be waiting for news. You'll be fine!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Peggy,

Just wanted to chime in and say I'll be thinking of you on Monday! You will be in good hands with Dr Buchowski and the staff at Barnes. If you already had a central line put in on Friday, that's the roughest part (smiles). I think that you are wise to have rented an apartment. That sounds great.
      Best wishes,

Kathy
      Kathy
      46 yrs at surgery, now 50
      71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
      8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
      http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Peggy,
        Best of luck with your surgery and recovery. My surgery was also at Barnes. You will be in good hands with your surgeon and his team.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Best wishes on your surgery on Monday. May your healing go well. Jackie
          T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
          C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
          T2--T10 fusion 2/11
          C 4-5 fusion 11/14
          Right scapulectomy 6/15
          Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
          To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
          Broken neck 9/28/2018
          Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
          Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
          Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
          Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
          Osteotomy

Comment

Thank you

Thank you, everyone, for your prayers & good wishes! All of you are one of my very special life-lines, life-preservers, floatation devices, cheerleaders - you get the idea!
            We moved into our apartment at Highland Lofts yesterday evening & had dinner at the Boathouse Restaurant in Forest Park. We'll drive back today to see the area in daylight.
            One of our daughters will fly into St. Louis tonight. She'll post some updates.
            No central line - whew!
            I'm looking forward to changing my signature!
            Praying you are all blessed with an absolutely wonderful day!
            Peg
            61 yrs old
            75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
            T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
            Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Originally posted by tae_tap View Post
              Praying for you! I will be right behind you with surgery scheduled for November 20th. So I will be in Saint Louis on the 17th.

Tamena
              Tamena, I'm confused. You had surgery last Nov. & you're scheduled again for this Nov.? I went back and searched, but I couldn't figure it out. 'Mush Brain', due to nerves! What are you having done? Did a rod break? I'm sending prayers YOUR way, now!
              Peg
              61 yrs old

Comment

Peg, sending healing thought towards St. Louis from Oregon! Us older folks are fighters and just keep going when it gets tough. Close your eyes and imagine a picture of your surgeon and say to yourself, "I trust you". You are in an excellent hospital with a top surgeon. You will do well.

A "fond" memory of mine the day after surgery: The PT came in and said, "OK, let's get out of bed and stand up" in a very cheery voice. Needless to say, I let out something like, "you got to be shitting me!". (Hope my vulgarity wasn't offensive.) although I knew that I would be getting up after surgery, drugged in the haze, I thought that it was impossible! Well, not impossible at all! I did very well. You will do well.

I had a doctor once who said to me, "You're in it to win it!" That was my mantra.

You have a great attitude and a wonderful, active life ahead of you!

Hugs, Susan
                Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Originally posted by PeggyS View Post
                  Fifa, it's good to hear you're feeling a little better. *I've never heard of the type of laptop cart you mentioned. *Interesting....
                  Disability coverage has changed a great deal over the past few years for many places of employment. It was never a concern for us & we needed it! I worry about our adult kids.
                  Our younger daughter is living at home, so she'll be there to take care of our dog.
                  That's good you've got friends to help care for you in the hospital - ones that really know how to help!
                  Take care!
                  Hi, Peg -

Just popping in to say I've been thinking about you all week! Sending prayers and love your way! You are in excellent hands!

Fifa

Comment

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
                    I live in Oregon where we don't have state short-term disability, and I foolishly missed my opportunity to purchase it the year before during open enrollment. One of your comments caught my eye, the part about having to pay your full insurance if you are on unpaid status…your surgery will qualify you for 12 weeks of FMLA leave, and my understanding of this is although it is unpaid, your employer is obligated to continue paying your insurance as if you were still working. And I know at least in Oregon you get 12 weeks of FMLA per calendar year, so if your surgery is in November you get FMLA through December 31, then the clock starts over again on January 1 with another 12 weeks of FMLA leave. Have you asked your HR department about FMLA? They should be able to supply all the required paperwork. The other good part of being protected by FMLA is your job is guaranteed to be held for you (unless there are company lay-offs).

I stayed home 14 weeks after my first surgery…I did not feel ready at all to return to work, even on limited duty, but I had no choice financially and due to job circumstances (and I am a hospital nurse, sad how unsympathetic hospitals are to their employees). I was really super bored by then so despite still being in pain I was happy to be back in an intellectually and socially stimulating environment. It was exhausting though, and I feel that I set myself back in my recovery by at least a month. I would advise you to check out your options in case you are not able to return to work when you are hoping to. You only have one chance to get the healing right for your back!

Take care,
                    Hi, Leah -

FMLA only protects me from losing my job. I will be paid from my vacation/sick/comp time. When that pay runs out (as it will in six weeks), then I'll go into unpaid status. My employer, then, will stop their contributions to the plan on my behalf and I'll be on COBRA. I, too, work for a hospital. (smiley face) The FMLA paperwork is done. Unfortunately, FMLA doesn't apply to insurance payments...only holding my job for me for 12 weeks. Thanks, though - I appreciate your thoughts!!

Fifa

Comment

Originally posted by tae_tap View Post
                      Praying for you! I will be right behind you with surgery scheduled for November 20th. So I will be in Saint Louis on the 17th.

Tamena
                      Hi,

If I'm still there, the three of us should have a party! LOL

Prayers to you both!!
                      Fifa

Comment

Originally posted by fifa View Post
                        Hi,

If I'm still there, the three of us should have a party! LOL

Prayers to you both!!
                        Fifa
                        Sounds like a plan!
                        Peg
                        61 yrs old

Comment

FMLA leave

Originally posted by fifa View Post
                          Hi, Leah - FMLA only protects me from losing my job. I will be paid from my vacation/sick/comp time. When that pay runs out (as it will in six weeks), then I'll go into unpaid status. My employer, then, will stop their contributions to the plan on my behalf and I'll be on COBRA. I, too, work for a hospital. (smiley face) The FMLA paperwork is done. Unfortunately, FMLA doesn't apply to insurance payments...only holding my job for me for 12 weeks. Thanks, though - I appreciate your thoughts!! Fifa
                          Dear Fifa,

I checked the Department of Labor website and this is what it says about continuation of group health insurance:

Employers are also required to continue group health insurance coverage for an employee on FMLA leave under the same terms and conditions as if the employee had not taken leave.

To me that means they still have to continue/pay your group health insurance. Since this amounts to a considerable amount of money for you, I hope you will at least be able to question your HR department, because I think they may be out of compliance with the federal FMLA laws.

Wishing you very best of luck heading in to surgery tomorrow and then on to recovery! You can do this.
                          Last edited by leahdragonfly; 10-26-2014, 06:31 PM. Reason: typo
                          Gayle, age 50
                          Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                          Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                          Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                          2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                          2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Originally posted by PeggyS View Post
                            Sounds like a plan!
                            (huge smiley) It's 7:33 p.m. Missouri time. Thinking of you and hope you get some rest tonight. With you in spirit tomorrow! I'll PM you (just found out how to do that tonight). Hope you can post soon and let us all know how you are doing.

Hugs and love and prayers to you!
                            Fifa

Comment

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
                              Dear Fifa,

I checked the Department of Labor website and this is what it says about continuation of group health insurance:

Employers are also required to continue group health insurance coverage for an employee on FMLA leave under the same terms and conditions as if the employee had not taken leave.

To me that means they still have to continue/pay your group health insurance. Since this amounts to a considerable amount of money for you, I hope you will at least be able to question your HR department, because I think they may be out of compliance with the federal FMLA laws.

Wishing you very best of luck heading in to surgery tomorrow and then on to recovery! You can do this.
                              Hi, Leah -

I will check with HR tomorrow. I will still have group coverage, I just have to pay the premiums myself instead of them shouldering their part, which they do because I'm in paid status. COBRA is all that is available once I go to unpaid. I totally get what you are saying, though, and will definitely ask. Thanks for the info!!

Fifa

Comment

Good luck, Peggy!
                                Karen

Mom to Girl Child diagnosed with 84* and 91* curves in Aug 2014 at age 11.5.
                                Surgeries scheduled for Nov 10, 14, and 17.

Comment

Working...
                                X