Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peggy's Scoliosis Surgery: the journey begins on 10/27!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fifa,

I'm concerned about you; you have had a difficult recovery, and yet I don't believe you have suffered any of the irrevocable, bad consequences from the surgery but you are beating yourself up over things you were not supposed to be doing according to Megan. Instead of beating yourself up, ask yourself why Megan didn't communicate better what was expected. What are you in trouble for? It doesn't really do any good for them to get you upset for things that are water under the bridge now. The surgeons do an amazing job with these very complicated surgeries but then just move on to the next case.

I really think that most of these surgeons could do a better job of having someone in their office checking in with patients post op to see how they are getting along and reminding them of what is and is not allowed at certain points in recovery. How about emailing a UTube video or something with instructions? I have had only one postoperative visit so far and it was right after discharge and I don't remember any of it. My next is at six weeks. I could have very likely benefitted from time in rehab to learn how to take care of myself postoperative but parts of my experience in the hospital made me afraid to go to another care facility.

I count my blessings everyday that I woke up from this surgery intact with minimal blood loss and am not blind, paralyzed and didn't throw a clot. I stand without pain and can even sit in a chair for quite a while now. But I really could have used more hand holding the first few weeks after surgery.
    Before 39* lumbar at age 18, progressed to 74* lumbar and 22* thoracic age 55
    ALIF Jan 13, 2015, PLIF Jan 15, 2015 with Dr William Stevens, Honor Health
    Fused T-7 to S-1 with pelvic fixation

After 38* lumbar

Xrays
    Before: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...7&d=1414268930

After: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...6&d=1424894360

Comment

• Fifa, Are you able to get X-rays at the Chesterfield office or do you have to go somewhere else for them? They always put me in that upright circular X-ray machine at Barnes. When I first went for a consultation 1.5 yrs ago, that was the only machine like it in the US.
      Dr. B told me it was too soon to see if any grafting had started. He might be able to tell at my 6+ month checkup. I thought he may have used the full 6 kits of BMP, but he said he used 2 kits. It wasn't approved by insurance til AFTER surgery! He said I had a lot of my own bone from the osteotomies.
      I don't think I've told you, yet, but good for you for refusing to pay your co-pay. I hope it works out. I love that your friend is your attorney!
      I hope you're feeling better!
      Peg
      61 yrs old
      75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
      T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
      Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

• Awesome pre-surgery comparison

It was a beautiful day in central Ohio for a walk in a nearby metro park.
        I walked the same route (2miles) in the same amount of time (45 min) as I used to do before my scoliosis surgery. The BIG difference was NO PAIN! Amazing! I'm sure many of you can identify with having to stop to rest or lean over to stretch the back multiple times. I've been walking at the Y on the track & treadmill, but today's outdoor walk was a confirmation of progress in my recovery!
        Peg
        61 yrs old

Comment

• That is a great comparison!
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Originally posted by Lizardacres View Post
            Fifa,

I'm concerned about you; you have had a difficult recovery, and yet I don't believe you have suffered any of the irrevocable, bad consequences from the surgery but you are beating yourself up over things you were not supposed to be doing according to Megan. Instead of beating yourself up, ask yourself why Megan didn't communicate better what was expected. What are you in trouble for? It doesn't really do any good for them to get you upset for things that are water under the bridge now. The surgeons do an amazing job with these very complicated surgeries but then just move on to the next case.

I really think that most of these surgeons could do a better job of having someone in their office checking in with patients post op to see how they are getting along and reminding them of what is and is not allowed at certain points in recovery. How about emailing a UTube video or something with instructions? I have had only one postoperative visit so far and it was right after discharge and I don't remember any of it. My next is at six weeks. I could have very likely benefitted from time in rehab to learn how to take care of myself postoperative but parts of my experience in the hospital made me afraid to go to another care facility.

I count my blessings everyday that I woke up from this surgery intact with minimal blood loss and am not blind, paralyzed and didn't throw a clot. I stand without pain and can even sit in a chair for quite a while now. But I really could have used more hand holding the first few weeks after surgery.
            Hi!

I totally agree with you! I, too, could have used more hand-holding than what I got, and I certainly could have used more preop information. For instance, I was really surprised that they used the halo traction during surgery...I mean, of course they did, but no one told me that. My preop visit was rushed due to a scheduling error, so I really didn't have enough time to ask questions and feel comfortable going in. The postop hand-holding has come from this forum for SURE, and I am grateful every day for each one of you!

Your last paragraph above about not throwing a clot or waking up paralyzed speaks volumes and I couldn't agree more. I'm lucky AND grateful to be doing as well as I am doing, but it is definitely a long winding road that I couldn't have navigated without this forum. Who else could I really talk to about my poop??? LOLOL

Take care - sending huge but gentle hugs!
            Fifa

Comment

• Originally posted by PeggyS View Post
              Fifa, Are you able to get X-rays at the Chesterfield office or do you have to go somewhere else for them? They always put me in that upright circular X-ray machine at Barnes. When I first went for a consultation 1.5 yrs ago, that was the only machine like it in the US.
              Dr. B told me it was too soon to see if any grafting had started. He might be able to tell at my 6+ month checkup. I thought he may have used the full 6 kits of BMP, but he said he used 2 kits. It wasn't approved by insurance til AFTER surgery! He said I had a lot of my own bone from the osteotomies.
              I don't think I've told you, yet, but good for you for refusing to pay your co-pay. I hope it works out. I love that your friend is your attorney!
              I hope you're feeling better!
              Hi, Peggy -

They do standing plain films at Chesterfield, so I don't go anywhere else for films. It is a much shorter trip for us. I LOVE that machine at Barnes! Incredible pictures!

I don't know what you mean about seeing if any grafting started...does he mean fusion? I assume I am fusing, but what he said to us was "your x-rays look as good as they possible could," and he was very pleased with how everything looked. I just assumed I was fusing and that he could tell. Will have to ask Megan when they can start to see this - I don't go back until June.

Just paid my last bill at Barnes today for the x-rays I had in January at Chesterfield (they just sent the bill). Suffice it to say that I plan to never return. LOL

Sounds like your check-up was great - CONGRATS! You are doing so well!!! I'm progressing slower, I think. I wish I could have gone for some therapy!

Take care, Peggy. Hugs to you!!

Fifa

Comment

• Thanks, Fifa! Dr B said it was too soon to tell if bones had started to graft or knit together over the fusion & hardware. I'm supposed to have a CT at my next appt on 5/6 & that should show bone grafts start to form. I guess that's why it takes at least 1 year for a solid fusion, maybe 2. I'm also guessing the restrictions are in place, so as not to disturb the newly forming grafts. I wonder if any will be lifted. . . .
                Peg
                61 yrs old

Comment

• Just returned from my checkup!

My 6 month checkup was delayed to 7.5 months and the report was good. My X-rays showed the hardware is in place & I don't have any loose screws - at least not in my back!
                  Dr. Buchowski recommended that I see a physiatrist or physical medicine doctor about my shoulder. I'll go to someone local.
                  Overall, I'm doing well. Massage has helped the shoulder symptoms become less intense & less frequent. I unknowingly sat in an odd position & aggravated my tailbone area. I'm hoping that clears up soon so I can go back to walking longer distances. I signed up to walk a 5k on July 4th. It was one of my pre-surgery goals.
                  Peg
                  61 yrs old

Comment

• Hi Peggy. I am new to this forum.

I live in Pickerington. I am 57 years old. I have a slight case of scoliosis. My major problem is lumbar kyphosis with retolistisis and a flat T vertebrae. I have been told that I need T4 to pelvis with Pelvic anchoring by Dr. Khan at OSU Spine Center. I am curious if you have heard of him and why you went out of state for surgery?

Michael

Comment

• Hi Michael!

I haven't heard of your doctor.,but that doesn't really mean anything. I had consultations with 3 Ohio doctors & 2 of them supported my decision to go to St. Louis for scoliosis surgery. The one who didn't, said his skills were adequate. The advice from this forum was to run and I did!
                      There are good back surgeons in Ohio, but they don't frequently do scoliosis surgeries - maybe a few per year. I wanted a surgeon who did 'my' type of surgery several times a month. I thought it was important to have a doctor who had a 'bag of tricks' or multiple experiences to draw from. It took some major planning, time commitment & money to support my decision and I have NO regrets. I'm thankful I was able to do 2 weeks of rehab in St. Louis before making the trip home.
                      This is a huge decision, so take your time. Ask your doctor about his experience.
                      I'll send you a pm with my phone number if you want more details.
                      Peg
                      61 yrs old

Comment

• Peggy,
                        I am glad you got a good report at your check up. My tailbone bothered me for at least a year. Eventually, I had no tailbone pain. I had assumed it would be for life, but it is no longer a problem.
                        Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                        Now 66
                        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

• Thanks for the tailbone encouragement, Karen!
                          Peg
                          61 yrs old

Comment

• Crummy news . . .

I'm reaching out to everyone who can send prayers & positive energy my way.

I've recently been diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer - 13.5 months after my back surgery. I've checked with my scoliosis surgeon & treatments won't interfere with my back - whew.

Chemo first (4-6 months) b/c the cancer has an aggressive component, then a mastectomy. The good news is that so far, my lymph nodes have not been affected.

I did a forum search to find out if anyone has been through this after a major fusion & I'm sure someone has, but my search failed.

My faith is still strong, but I do throw some temper tantrums in my mind!
                            Thank you, in advance.
                            Peg
                            61 yrs old

Comment

• I am sending positive thoughts and prayers your way. I am sorry you have to go through this, but know you will stay strong and beat it!
                              Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                              Now 66
                              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

• Sending you a hug and Healing thoughts. You will get through this like you did with the back surgery.
                                Susan
                                Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                                2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                                2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                                2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                                2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                                2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Working...
                                X