Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peggy's Scoliosis Surgery: the journey begins on 10/27!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peggy's Scoliosis Surgery: the journey begins on 10/27!

After yesterday's multiple tests & dr appts in St. Louis, my date for surgery has been confirmed! Yikes!

T-3 through S1 with Dr. Buchowski. Dr. Lenke made the referral, after reviewing my MRI. I like Dr. Buchowski and I'm confident he'll make as much improvement, as possible.

We're renting an apartment across from the hospital (Metrolofts) and I'm working on household organization. Our daughters live nearby. My husband's mobility is limited, but he assures me he's ready.

Friends have asked what they can do while we're gone. Any ideas? Is there something you wished you'd asked for - esp those who traveled out of state? We have house cleaners set up and a big freezer for food. My typical answer is prayers & positive thoughts.

I love this forum. I found it a little over a year ago. The information has been soooooo helpful! I know I'll have your support during this journey, so 'thank you', ahead of time!
    Peg
    61 yrs old
    75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
    T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
    Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Peggy, I'll pray for you. No worries, sounds like you've got your ducks in a row! Congrats on finding a great surgeon and the family and apartment rental. Seems many prayers have already been answered?

You can count on mine.

God bess!
    Susan
    XLIF/Posterior Surgery 6/16/08. Fused T10-L5 in CA by Dr. Michael Kropf (don't go there unless it's simple, I hear he's at Cedar's now). Very deformed, had revision w/5 PSO's, rods from T-3 to sacrum including iliac screws, all posterior, 5/23/16 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta of Chicago.

Owner of Chachi the Chihuahua, So Cal born and bred, now a resident of 'Chicagoland' Illinois. Uh, dislike it here....thank God there was ONE excellent spine surgeon in this area.

Comment

Peg....

I've uploaded a PDF file that addresses all sorts of things in terms of preparing for surgery. You'll find it here. In that document, I address the question of what you can tell your friends who want to help:

Fix a meal
      Shop
      Vacuum
      Change the sheets
      Do a load of laundry
      Water the plants
      Feed the animals
      Change the litter
      Walk the dog
      Empty the garbage
      Bring a video (and watch it with me)
      Take me for a walk or a short outing
      Drive me to an appointment
      Pick up all the things I've dropped

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Peggy, I will also pray for you. Many people prayed for me and I attribute that plus having a great surgeon, Dr. Lenke,as the reason I had such a good recovery. I had exercised with a personal trainer for 3 years before my surgery and that was also very important. I was fused from t4 to sacrum at age 67 two years ago. We traveled from South Carolina and I was in the hospital for one week and in the connecting hotel for one week after that and then flew home. I did have someone to help with the house cleaning and friends from church brought in meals for about two weeks. I had to climb a flight of stairs to get into my home but had no problem doing so. I used a walker for less than one week after coming home. My husband stayed home from work for the first week I was home and kept a written record of when I took my pain meds. I was on my own after that. I was off pain meds at about 5 weeks and was driving short distances at 6 weeks. I would advise tapering off the pain meds more gradually than I did. I just stopped abruptly and had trouble sleeping for about two weeks.
        I will pray for an uneventful recovery for you.
        Jane

Comment

Peggy,
          The surgery didn't seem real to me until I had the day of tests so I know how you feel. The worrying before surgery was by far the toughest time for me. I was 60 also when I had my surgery at Barnes. Best of luck with a smooth recovery.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Peggy

We never forget the day we commit and set our dates.....I set my dates on 10/31/07.

I didn’t plan much since I’m the Oscar Madison of scoliosis surgery! I think I had a frozen lasagna in the freezer??? Yeah, I have to admit, I did everything the hard way.....but I had a great support team which is everything! If I write a book on scoliosis some day, I might use the title “Roughing it”. The angels were hovering around me, no doubt.

My surgeon asked me a few times how many stairs I had leading into my house.....I have 2 steps. It would have been hilarious to ask why he was asking since I was planning on tent camping after I go home.....(scoliosis forum humor)

Many have mentioned having 2 grabbers just in case you drop the first one. Having 3 is better in case you drop the first two. (I know, bad scoliosis forum humor)

On a serious note......

The foam topper on the bed was crucial for sleeping......2-4 inches of latex foam. Latex will be a white color...

Worry creates stress, and stress is bad....Laugh when you can, and remember that these people are professionals, they do this everyday.

Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Now the waiting game begins. At least it is not months of waiting and wondering because I think the wait was the toughest part for me.

As Ed said, these doctors do this every day and have been trained by some of the best in the realm of scoliosis surgery. So stay confident and positive because a positive attitude is what will get you through the next few months.

Tamena
              Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Peggy...
                as for what to do for while you are away...

is your mail being taken in/looked after?
                any bills to prepay, like phone or anything to pay in advance
                so you owe nothing on utilities if you are away longer than you
                think you will be...?

that is only thing i could think of....but maybe you won't need
                to be away so long...

best of luck...for successful surgery and uneventful recovery....
                jess...and Sparky

Comment

Hi, Peggy!

I have so, so, so been wanting to talk to you (my login has been held in cyberheaven since late August). Glad you have scheduled your surgery. I, too, am having surgery at Barnes with Dr. Buchowski. I'm scheduled November 10th. The myelogram and postop teaching is set for October 22. Will post my story in a separate thread. Just couldn't wait to say hello to you and wish you good luck!!

Take care!

Comment

Hi Fifa!

I just replied to your thread! Send me a pm if you have questions I might be able to answer. Nurse Megan has an excellent model of a fusion - I wish I had taken a picture of it. I'm going to ask her to send me one. Sometimes it's hard to explain what's going to be done to my back.
                    Peg
                    61 yrs old

Comment

Thank you all, for the lists & suggestions. Our spare bedroom is the dedicated packing place and I've started to gather the items we'll take to St. Louis with us!
                      We have a wheelchair, but my nurse gave a definite 'no' when I asked about bringing it - that makes me feel good! I'm looking forward to walking, walking, walking. In fact, my post op goal is to walk a 5k in July.
                      Peg
                      61 yrs old

Comment

I would say absolutely not to the wheelchair! The only time I would even fathom it being needed is getting from the hospital to your apartment and even then you will have access to the hospital chair. I think having it there would make it easy to cut corners. Walking will be the best for you.

A 5k at eight months post-op, I have a feeling you have always been an over-achiever! I can relate to that, but don't rush it. Take things slow and don't be devastated if it does not happen so soon.

Tamena
                        Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Suggestions for friends: Give your husband a break and have one of them come over and be your company for 4 hours or so the first week. Let them grocery shop for you.
                          Forget the wheelchair.
                          Have a diary for pain pills and BMs.
                          I am sure that you will do well. Us older women are awesome!
                          Susan
                          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                          2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                          2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                          2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                          2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                          2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

You made me laugh, Susan! I've kept a diary for pain meds before, but not for BM's! Yep, I think it'll be necessary. Hope you're getting stronger each day!
                            Peg
                            61 yrs old

Comment

Originally posted by tae_tap View Post

A 5k at eight months post-op, I have a feeling you have always been an over-achiever! I can relate to that, but don't rush it. Take things slow and don't be devastated if it does not happen so soon.

Tamena
                              Ah, a dose of reality - I keep forgetting that all the walking I'll be doing in recovery will be in short increments! Thanks, Tamena
                              Peg
                              61 yrs old

Comment

Working...
                              X