No announcement yet.

Two revision surgeries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jackie, glad that your pain is slowly decreasing. If you are like me, I want it now! Patience is not one of my virtues. I am learning that it takes a while for things to "settle down". I hope that your biopsies are OK, and if not, then you (and your loyal cheering groupies) will figure that one out.

When I first joined the Forum, I thought....I am just going to have the first surgery and never join the revision group. Like I had a choice!

My brother visited me and said, "you get what you got". So, instead of trying to figure out life in the great scheme of things with the cosmos and all, I am trying to be grounded and deal with the day to day. Sounds like you are doing the same thing.

Sending you healing thoughts. Susan

I will send you a PM.
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Hi Ed, I knew that Ct scans use a lot of radiation but I didn't know that it was that much. If I counted right I think I have had 6. Two awhile ago and 4 more recent. In addition to regular X-Ray. And I worked in a field that I took many X-Ray s.we are usually protected but not always. The neck is the next issue but i need to address the thyroid first. I will be asking for something to help the neck if there is a long delay in treatment.
      T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
      C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
      T2--T10 fusion 2/11
      C 4-5 fusion 11/14
      Right scapulectomy 6/15
      Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
      To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
      Broken neck 9/28/2018
      Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
      Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
      Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
      Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
      Osteotomy

Comment

Well the second revision cervical surgery is scheduled on November 19th. The c4 disc this time. But the Dr said he would not connect to the existing c5,6,7 fusion. So I guess c4 gets it's own. The decision for the thyroid is to leave it alone for now. Check it in a year and do another biopsy. So it will be just the cervical fusion on November 19. Because it was so difficult to manage pain meds this last surgery, I have to be off all meds until surgery. These next few weeks will be tough. I will be using a lot of heat packs.
        T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
        C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
        T2--T10 fusion 2/11
        C 4-5 fusion 11/14
        Right scapulectomy 6/15
        Broken neck 9/28/2018
        Osteotomy

Comment

Hi friends, I am here at the hospital waiting for my cervical surgery it should be in around an hour. This is number 5 and hopefully the last
          T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
          C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
          T2--T10 fusion 2/11
          C 4-5 fusion 11/14
          Right scapulectomy 6/15
          Broken neck 9/28/2018
          Osteotomy

Comment

Originally posted by jackieg412 View Post
            Hi friends, I am here at the hospital waiting for my cervical surgery it should be in around an hour. This is number 5 and hopefully the last
            Sending healing thoughts your way.... Hugs, Hdsluckygirl
            Hugs,

hdsluckygirl
            hdsluckygirl@gmail.com

Comment

Jackie, Hope that all went well. Sending healing thoughts your way!!
              Susan
              Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

Thank you for the wishes. It helps me to talk to people who understand . This morning is a little rough. My neck
                isn't too bad but the upper back is in a fit. It is also hard to swallow. I will post more tomorrow.
                T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                Right scapulectomy 6/15
                Broken neck 9/28/2018
                Osteotomy

Comment

Jackie, thinking of you! Hope that your day gets better.with all of the positioning and tugging that they do in surgery, your back muscles are probably quite sore. Does a cold pack help?

I hope that this surgery does it! Wish that we lived next door to each other, because we seem to be on parallel lives trying to get our spines in order!

Take care of yourself....pain meds and good music help!

Sending you healing thoughts.

Susan

Comment

The upper back pain has gotten much better. The ability to swallow has not improved much. Liquid is the hardest , as all I do is choke on it. Does any one with a cervical fusion remember how long this lasts?
                    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                    Right scapulectomy 6/15
                    Broken neck 9/28/2018
                    Osteotomy

Comment

Hardware removal

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
                      When I had my revision for broken rods I also asked Dr Hart to take out the single pelvic screw I had. That left SI or screw area had bothered me since surgery. Since I was about 15 months post-op he said it would be fine to remove it. I asked him for it as a remembrance, and I did get it back. I still have it and look at it occasionally. It is pretty huge!

It seems in general that patients don't usually get explanted things back. There is more resistance now about giving back items that have been in someone's body due to contamination with blood and body fluids. I work in invasive cardiology and we used to routinely offer patients their old pacemakers and defibrillator generators back when they got replaced. That practice has pretty much gone by the wayside.

Jackie good luck with your upcoming surgeries! I really hope they are going to help you with your long-standing pain, and I'm glad you are finally getting some help.
                      Hi,

I am new on here and don't know how to start a new thread. I have been in so much pain since surgery 16 mths ago, Dr. Lenke. I am considering having my hardware removed. Is this an easier surgery and what is the downtime? I can feel the screws hitting my muscles and it is so painful that I cannot function. Anything you can tell me would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                      X