Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facet Joint Degeneration- Surgery?

Hi everyone,

I am fused T2-L4 and have had three surgeries in the past year. Two fusion surgeries in July and a revision in November for loose screws at L3, L4. I recently started having a lot of pain, and an MRI shows that I have mild facet joint degeneration at L4-L5 and L5-S1. My doctor has been considered fusing me all the way down to the pelvis, even before this latest test. I am only 27, so we are trying to hold off as long we can. I can't get in to see him for three weeks, and was wondering if anyone could give me any info. Is surgery likely? Really hate waiting to find out...

Thanks,

Lauren

Lauren,
    Have you tried a pain management Doctor? Maybe a cortisone shot in the facet joints would help you.
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hi Sally,

Yes, I do currently get facet joint injections. I've had two now. The first one seemed to work well for a couple of months, and this last one was on July 3rd. Worked really well for a week, and then I started having extreme pain. Is surgery the only other option?

Thanks for your help!

Lauren

Comment

facet joint pain

Hi and so sorry to hear about all your pain and the surgeries. You poor girl, my heart goes out to you for sure. Regarding pain and facet injections: what type of pain did the facet injections relieve? Did it relieve the achy bone pain in your back or the nerve pain radiating to your legs?

Please let us know.

Thanks,
        1st surgery: Fused T1-L3 in 1987 with contoured Harrington Rods. Rods broke at top.
        2nd surgery: Re-done two weeks later; fused C7-L3. Left in chronic pain.
        3rd surgery: Hardware removal 1997, but still pain for 30 years.
        4th Surgery: Fused to the sacrum in 2016. Came out of surgery with left foot paralysis. (Drop Foot) Can't walk on my own.
        I'm blessed to have found my peace and reason to live not from a husband or kids (I have none) but from God and within myself.

Comment

Do you think that you need another opinion?
          Susan
          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
          2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
          2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
          2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
          2018: Removal L4,5 screw
          2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Working...
          X