Brace Stress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brace Stress

Wheni finally had my operation after waiting four years, i thought my troubles were over but even though I'm fully recovered, I'm not myself. I find my brace a hard obstacle to overcome, I'm still as outgoing and people don't treat me differently, but i don't have as mush self confidence and it's always on my mind. In relation to how long I've waited, 6 months is not mucha dn in comparsion to teh rest of my life, it's nothing but right now it seems like everything.Does anyone out there know how it feels to be constantly uncomfortable? It sucks and I would love someone to reassure me that having the op was hte right choice because right now i don't feel like i should, as girl of only 16, be having to deal with this. Thankyou and sorry I sound so down, bad day. Love Lu*

Dear Lu:

Yes, there are many of us out there who had surgery like you and we have all had our bad days. We know it can be really lousy. No apologies necessary.

In fact, I had two fusions when I was 16 and had to spend 11 months in bed in a plaster body cast.

We have also had our good days however, and know that there is hope and every reason to believe that in time most people should be able to recover from the surgery and go on to live an otherwise normal life. Sometimes though things may not be exactly right after surgery so do not hesitate to contact your doctor and discuss problems you may be experiencing.

You may also want to go to the Surgery section and respond to Angelwithaflute. Lorna also had surgery and talking with her may be a good start.

Please let me know if we can help in anyway. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Best Regards,

JOB

Comment

Hey Lu

Hey Lu,
      I understand about the brace. I had to wear a brace from ages 6-13, then I had surgery to fuse my upper spine. Fortunately, I did not have to wear a brace after surgery, but I remember one time in 7th grade when I wore my brace, not everyone knew about it, and one kid was taken aback when he bumped into me and felt my brace. It made me feel self-conscious, especially in junior high. Anyways, that's my input, I guess. I am now almost 23 years old, so it's been almost 10 years since my surgery, and the memories of wearing a brace are faint. Only a few more months, and you're done!!!

--Julie

Comment

Hey Lu!
        Im Lisa and I'm fifteen. I had to wear a brace from when I was 10 to 14 and I HATED IT!!! I would sometimes fake that I was wearing it by walking in the position the brace put me in. It worked for awhile but then my mom somehow found out and ever since then she would knock on me when I walked by.
        I always thought I was the only one who couldn't handle that brace because my doctor would get mad at me and say how everyone else wore there braces and had no problems with them except me. But now I'm reading all these stories about kids who had to wear that brace and tons of kids hated them. Not just me! It makes me feel better!
        I should have worn the brace more tho cuz I ended up getting spinal fusion in December. After that I just wore a corsette to help hold my back up. It helped alot and it wasn't as uncomfortable as the brace. Now, 9 months later, my backs pretty much ok and I'm in physical therapy. But I just wanted to tell you that it was probably better that u had the surgery cuz later in life, if your back wasn't corrected, then your scoliosis could lead to even more back aches or back problems. Maybe even lung problems. SO don't worry, u did the right thing! I know how it feels though to be stuck in that brace! And also to feel like your back will never be better. It was a long year, but I think it was worth it. The experience had made me a stronger person and the nurses were so nice that now I want to be a nurse! But anyways, try to keep yourself occupied when ur in it so you wont be thinking ok, i can take it off in 3 more hours ok now 2 and a half and so on. And this probably doesnt sound that good right now, but someday your back will be totally healed. I never thought it would happen to me but it did so i guess it's not that impossible!
        Lisa

Comment

hey!

hey u guys are very strong! I don't know if i would be able to go through with the surgery. It sounds soooo scary to me now. But eventually i will probably want to get it. But i do wear a brace now and i actually don't hate it. I just don't exactly love it. If i got to choose i wouldn't wear it. But i have to and i know why i am wearing it. So keep strong! *Hannah* 13 IN

Comment

hey

I know what ya'll mean. I am so self-concious that someone is looking at my back. That my curves are noticable, and how I always hunch forward. I'm always suprised when people say they don't notice it. I feel like screaming, "how could you not????!!!!"

Comment

I was just wondering, I know that scoliosis curves our shoulders and hips but does it make us slouch? Cuz my mom and physical therpaist are always telling me to sit up straight and not to hunch over. Does anyone else here have a problem with slouching? Or is it just me? Probably I am just to lazy to sit up straight. lol

Comment

Hey Lisa,
                Yes, I believe scoliosis is what makes "us" slouch. We have a curved spine, therefore, our posture will not be perfect without us consciously telling ourselves to sit/stand straight. My friend is always like "stop slouching, sit up straight" when I'm at the computer typing...not in a mean tone, just letting me know I'm slouching. And yes, it's VERY hard for me to sit up straight and be comfortable in some of the chairs at school b/c they have hard backs and the bars in my back rub against the chair thru my back. But anyways, it's easier for me to stand up straight when I'm walking...but sitting up straight just puts more stress on other parts of your back to make you sit up straight. Anyways, that's my take on it!

--Julie

Comment

Julie
                  I totally agree!!! Sometimes I will accidently brush against the back of a chair the wrong way and...owwww! And also sometimes I think I can feel the rod in my back when I lean against something hard. But anyways, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a problem with slouching! Now that I know that I do, I always try not to though...
                  Lisa

Comment

I totally agree

My mother is always telling me to sit up. Last time when we were leaving the hospital from my appointment with my surgeon, my mother looks at me and says--you could get better if you sat straight up. I looked at her, like hello! We just got beck from the Dr. and he tells us its all in the bones and she tells me this! I get so sick of that! Because I have kyphosis as well, my shoulder are even more hunched forward and my left shoulder is lower then the right and one day I was so sick of my family commenting to keep my left should up and right one down, that I told them to go and raise their left shoulder up high and their right one to lower, and keep it like that. They couldn't do it, but they expect me to. They don't understand its physically painful and it is--it truly is.
                    -Adge

Comment

I hate when my mom does that too. She'll come up behind me and be like, your shoulders are crooked and then she'll move them into place and I'll try to stay like that but...well...you know how it is. Anyways, I told my physical therapist about that and she's trying to help me hold my shoulders and hips correctly. I'm trying hard but it hurts and it feels so weird!
                      Lisa

Comment

Oh my god, i cant believe myself, i am getting a brace becuz my degree is 29, but i cant imagine anything like wat u r going through, i hope u get better soon
                        ~your friend, Liz Hanson

Comment

I am loving these mom/posture stories.

I can remember, prior to being diagnosed, my mom being quite short me and telling me to stand up straight that I was 'walking like a duck'. Turns out it was my lower curve which creates a sway back.

At one of my first physical therapy appts they had me stand against a wall, bend my knees and tilt my hips until my back was flush with the wall - I couldn't do it. The therapist was great and explained to me why and I remember looking at my mom and saying "See - I told you it wasn't my fault"

:-D

Comment

Working...
                          X