One year check-up with Lenke!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by babyboomer16 View Post
    Susan, I want to thank-you for the encouraging words all along these past couple years. I am doing well. But I have some issues I'm hoping physical therapy can help. I sometimes(a lot latley) feel like I'm dragging around something heavy. It's hard to explain. I have the feeling I am pulling aroun an extra sixty lbs. I do have that "board nailed to my butt"feeling. Maybe that's just getting worse. Just wondering if you ever had any of these feelings? So although I am a yr. out, and thankful for all that I can do, I still have a lot of thinks to work on. And my neck is an ongoing problem, as Dr. Lenke says I have arthritis in my neck. It does cause shoulder pain. I am grateful and love being able to see the world in an upward position. Hope you are doing good and continue to get better! Warmly, Linda
    Linda, you are kind to thank me, but YOU did it! Yes, that feeling of a board nailed to my butt seems to be more intense. I also have some L thoracic pain on my trapezius muscle. I just returned from 15 hours on an airplane from Australia, so I know that this may be my lowest point. I am going to try my TENS unit on my back. My pain management MD is not available until July 7th.

Yes, we are on the 2 year plan. At that point, I will probably "be all I can be", and will work on changing my perspective and attitude. I also have an arthritic neck and headaches.....the arthritic neck is no surprise since the rest of my vertebrae were arthritic. I have been doing neck exercises and they do help some.

I am working on my attitude, like I did 2 weeks before my surgery. Unlike you after you had your earliest surgeries, I escaped from surgery better than I was before surgery. With my current sacral and thoracic pain, I am still better off than I was before my surgery. Instead of dwelling on what I don't have, I am trying to change my attitude and dwell on what I do have. Trying is the key word for right now. Like many on the forum, I had hoped for a huge cure and now must realize that I am much better than before my surgery. Attitude change....working on it. Working on what I can do rather than what I cannot do.

Susan
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
      Linda, you are kind to thank me, but YOU did it! Yes, that feeling of a board nailed to my butt seems to be more intense. I also have some L thoracic pain on my trapezius muscle. I just returned from 15 hours on an airplane from Australia, so I know that this may be my lowest point. I am going to try my TENS unit on my back. My pain management MD is not available until July 7th.

Yes, we are on the 2 year plan. At that point, I will probably "be all I can be", and will work on changing my perspective and attitude. I also have an arthritic neck and headaches.....the arthritic neck is no surprise since the rest of my vertebrae were arthritic. I have been doing neck exercises and they do help some.

I am working on my attitude, like I did 2 weeks before my surgery. Unlike you after you had your earliest surgeries, I escaped from surgery better than I was before surgery. With my current sacral and thoracic pain, I am still better off than I was before my surgery. Instead of dwelling on what I don't have, I am trying to change my attitude and dwell on what I do have. Trying is the key word for right now. Like many on the forum, I had hoped for a huge cure and now must realize that I am much better than before my surgery. Attitude change....working on it. Working on what I can do rather than what I cannot do.

Susan
      Amen to what Susan says about attitude. I am working on that myself. Linda, I am so glad for you that you have passed the one year mark. Yes, it does take us older ladies at least two years to recover and some things improve a little even after that. The arthritic neck seems to be a recurring theme with most of us. Dr. Rand said to me that my neck is very bad and wondered why I wasn't in too much pain. The neck exercises really do help. Take care and God bless you.
      Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
      X