Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sex After Fusion to the Sacrum

Hi...

Some time ago, I created a survey to try to understand the challenge of sex after fusion to the sacrum. Only 26 people have responded to the survey. If you've been fused to the sacrum, and have a sex life, you probably know that there are some challenges. I'd like to encourage those of you who have been fused to the sacrum, to answer the survey. It's completely anonymous. I have absolutely no way of knowing who responds. As an incentive, if I get enough response, I will post the results. The surgeons and patients who have already seen the results tell me that they find them very valuable. We hope, eventually, to use this as pilot data to create a larger scale formal study.

Here's the link:
    Sex After Fusion to the Sacrum survey

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Maybe this thread should be in the 18 and over . . .
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Yikes... what was I smoking?
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I didn't see where this was originally posted but if it was in the kid's section, it reminds me of a joke...

I believe in saving the earth for our children but not our children's children because I don't think children should be having sex. :-)
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

The survey is so multiple choice, and so short......

It reminds me of Austin Powers in the 1st movie. When asked this question his answer was also short.

Q. Sex?
          A. Yes.....

When you think about the effort that people go through for sex, being fused all the way up or all the way down really doesn’t matter. Randy is randy.....

Installation of pink funnyfur in Cadillac’s kinda proves this. Yeah baby.....

Ed
          Attached Files
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
            The survey is so multiple choice, and so short......

It reminds me of Austin Powers in the 1st movie. When asked this question his answer was also short.

Q. Sex?
            A. Yes.....

When you think about the effort that people go through for sex, being fused all the way up or all the way down really doesn’t matter. Randy is randy.....

Installation of pink funnyfur in Cadillac’s kinda proves this. Yeah baby.....

Ed
            Ed, Your Randy may still be randy....but mine has changed!
            S.
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

I agree that this multiple choice could be greatly expanded to get more qualitative info. For many couples, intimate relationships are so important, yet nobody addresses this.

I asked one doctor: "How do people have sex after a fusion?"
              Spinal Surgeon answer: "They do". [Audible deep breath my doctor]

Susan
              Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
              2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
              2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
              2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
              2018: Removal L4,5 screw
              2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
                I agree that this multiple choice could be greatly expanded to get more qualitative info. For many couples, intimate relationships are so important, yet nobody addresses this.

I asked one doctor: "How do people have sex after a fusion?"
                Spinal Surgeon answer: "They do". [Audible deep breath my doctor]

Susan
                I asked a similar question and felt like the "you'll be fine" response/attitude was a bit dismissive. I understand that the topic is a bit outside of the "we're in the business of straightening your spine and stabilizing your progression" but it is a legitimate quality of life concern and one that there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information out there on.

Comment

My doctor answered "when you feel you can." So again it is probably different for everyone, but a valid question.
                  Tamena
                  Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Originally posted by Rise View Post
                    I asked a similar question and felt like the "you'll be fine" response/attitude was a bit dismissive. I understand that the topic is a bit outside of the "we're in the business of straightening your spine and stabilizing your progression" but it is a legitimate quality of life concern and one that there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information out there on.
                    Rise,

If you want, send me a private message, and I'd be happy to answer your questions. I remember being concerned about it too...
                    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

The questions aren't meant to be scientific. I built the survey to figure out what questions we needed to ask should we decide to go forward with a formal study.

Comment

Originally posted by Rise View Post
                        I don't know if all spine surgeons feel the same about it, but the UCSF ortho spine patients are encouraged to ask questions. And, in fact, patients who are going to have long fusions to the sacrum are told that sex might be different after surgery. That's the original impetus behind this survey.

Comment

Um, I think the really pertinent question that should be added to the survey is "specifically how do you get the most out of sex after fusion to the pelvis? Please provide details about positions, movement, any props such as pillows, etc." A "how-to" guide would probably be helpful for most of us, since it's unlikely we know someone we can talk to about this.
                          age 48
                          80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                          Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                          Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                          Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                          Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Need advise

Hello, I'm new to this website. I'm needing to extend my fusion to the sacrum. I'm fused from t4-L5. I'm wondering how much mobility I'm going to lose. especially how much different is sex going to be. Am I going to have a harder time with certain positions. Like it seem like missionary would be really hard to do. I really don't know how else to find the answers to these questions. Asking my Dr. would just be weird. So if you could let me know that would be great. Just private message me

Comment

Bubba

Since you are already fused and needing repair on your L5-S1, I couldn’t imagine sex being much different than it already is. If you are in pain down at that level and your quality of life is suffering that much, then we hope that a revision surgery will help relieve your pain.

Perhaps you could start your own thread and introduce yourself? I couldn’t imagine this being your only concern?

Back to Austin Powers....

Q. Sex?
                              A. Yes......

Your going to figure this out because NO, just isn’t an option.......(smiley face) After all, we are experts at adaptation.

Welcome to the forum

Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                              X