Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will you be in St. Louis tomorrow or Wednesday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will you be in St. Louis tomorrow or Wednesday?

Hi all,

Sorry for the last-minute post, but will anyone be in St. Louis tomorrow or Wednesday? I am seeing Dr. Lenke for my 2-year followup. I'll be there Tuesday afternoon through Weds. morning. I would love to link up with anyone who's around. Let me know. I will check this board the next two days.

Best,
    Evelyn
    age 48
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Anyone? Anyone? Buhler??? :-)

Haha. I am here for my 2-year followup. Got X-rays and CT of lower lumbar today to see what's up with my pelvic screws, which still cause me pain when exercising. Otherwise I am well and have to say that 2 years feels MUCH better than one! I will report in tomorrow after my appointment. If anyone is here in St. Louis, look for me in Dr. Lenke's lobby. I'm 42 and have long brown hair and glasses.

Cheers,
    Evelyn
    age 48
    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020

Comment

Hey Evelyn

2 years now....boy how time fly’s......

So how do you feel about the 2 year mark? Would you say that you are completely healed now? (Minus the pelvic pain)

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I hope you got a good report from Dr. Lenke and an answer for the pelvic screw pain. I'll check back later. I am heading for the golf course-2 years was better than 1 year for me as well. I actually notice improvements following my two year anniversary.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I did not check in after my 2-year followup. I think one sign of people getting better is that they are not on the forum as much anymore -- at least that's the case for me.

In general, things are good for me. I have adapted pretty well at this point. I am not back to "normal"--as in how I was before surgery. But I have lived with this long enough now that it feels normal for me.

The downside is still that I can't snuggle up in a comfy position on a big chair or couch. I pretty much have to be fully upright or laying flat. Also I do have a shorter gait than before surgery. The PT in Dr. Lenke's office said I probably had movement in my SI joint before surgery that is compromised by the pelvic anchors. So it's not as easy for me to take long strides when walking. This is not noticeable on a daily basis, but it does make it harder to walk for exercise -- I have difficulty getting my pace fast enough to get my heart-rate going.

On the other hand, two years is MUCH better than one! I have been doing Aqua Fit and walking more and just generally participating in activities I couldn't/wouldn't for a long time. Examples: bowling, painting furniture, vacuuming, carrying laundry baskets, pushing heavy grocery carts, staying up all day without laying down, taking full-day road trips, helping lift light furniture, etc.

One thing that is a definite improvement over pre-op is my ability to stand for long periods of time. I am amazed that I can go to a party and stand for 2-3 hours talking to people and never get an ache in my lower back!!!!! Also I can sit on bleachers for 4-5 hours without a problem. (My son plays double-header baseball every Sunday.) In fact, it is easier for me to sit on bleachers than in those fold-up sports chairs.

Also, it's much easier now to get things off the floor without thinking about it. I don't really use any assistive devices anymore unless I have to pick up a LOT of stuff off the floor (i.e. the kids have spilled several crates of Lego).

Thinking about Linda's sex survey, I am happy to report that that has gotten more natural, too. It is definitely not the same as pre-op, but I don't have any pain (like I did earlier post-op), and you figure out how to make things work.

Early after surgery I had to drive my car like a gangster with the seat way back and reclined and my arm straight out on the top of the steering wheel. I would say I look pretty much normal now driving the car, though I still turn my whole torso getting in and out of the car.

I have set off alarms at the airport. We took a cruise after Christmas, and I set it off every time we checked in on the ship after visiting an island. I really don't care. Last time I set it off at the airport one TSA official said to the other, "no worries, it's her earrings." Ha! (Makes you wonder about the safety of the planes, but that's another issue.)

Oh, also, I can sit on the floor! I know this is a topic people have discussed over the years. It's not something I do a lot, but if I need to for some reason, I can do it for a few minutes. Still no luck with the bathtub, though. I float! Can't stay down on the bottom. (And I should add that I am not a super heavy person that is being buoyed up. I am probably 10-15 pounds overweight. Still working on that...ah well.)

Well, I hope everyone is well! I am looking forward to browsing around and catching up on people.

Take care,
          Evelyn
          Last edited by Confusedmom; 06-17-2014, 11:38 PM.
          age 48

Comment

P.S. Dr. Lenke advised me not to have the pelvic anchors removed. He said I COULD if I wanted, but there is a small risk of curve regression. He said unless they were causing constant pain I should keep them in. They do aggravate me sometimes, but not as much as before, and he said that may continue to improve.
            age 48

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
              Hi Everyone,

Early after surgery I had to drive my car like a gangster with the seat way back and reclined and my arm straight out on the top of the steering wheel. I would say I look pretty much normal now driving the car, though I still turn my whole torso getting in and out of the car.
              Oh Evelyn, you made me laugh with your description of driving like a gangster, classic! Glad you're feeling better and that your life is back on track. When my times comes to go through this journey I'll keep your driving style in mind; I'm sure my kids will get a kick out of seeing their mother drive like a gangster.

Diane

Comment

congratulations, Ev....so great to read how well you are doing...
                you looked pretty terrific when Terri and i met you in Manhattan
                some time ago....so pretty soon, you will be unstoppable!

sent you a private message...

jess...and Sparky

Comment

Good to hear from you, Evelin! What airports did you go that you set off alarms? We just came from vacation in Vancouver and I didn't set off any alarms in either San Francisco or Vancouver. Thought it was pretty boring as I expected a loud siren to go off haha.
                  I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                  45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                  A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Good to hear things continue to improve for you Evelyn. And thanks for the laugh - driving like a gangster. Glad I didn't have a mouthful of coffee at the time.
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Evelyn!

Your report is very encouraging! My time is getting closer & it helps to know what to expect. I'll practice driving like a gangster today & see how that goes.

It amazes me to think that standing will probably be more comfortable than sitting! In preparation, I recently bought a firm, upright, upholstered chair.

Question about pelvic fixation: is that always done whenever fusion goes S1? I can't remember from my consultation.

Take care!
                      Peg
                      61 yrs old
                      75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
                      T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
                      Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Evelyn,
                        Congratulations on your 2nd year anniversary. You are doing really well! We have come a long way since I met you in Dr. Lenke's office before your surgery and shortly after mine. I truly believe that I had minor improvements even after two years. I need to get back to my routine of hamstring stretches and other exercises that Janet gave me so that I don't lose those gains. Anyway, my point is that it is possible to still notice improvements after two years.
                        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                        Rib Hump-GONE!
                        Age-60 at the time of surgery
                        Now 66
                        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Thanks, everyone! Good to hear from you all, too.

By "alarm," I mean they saw my metal and scanned me -- not literal loud sirens. :-) This typically happens when I have to go through the "door frame" metal detector, rather than the one that rotates. I think the rotating one gives them a full picture that allows them to see it's medical, where the door frame one just picks up something that they have to then do a pat-down/wand for. Gotta love those pat downs. Actually, I really don't care, it's just annoying that you have to expect a few extra minutes going through security. My husband and kids are always standing outside security looking at me like, "come on already!" It's the smaller airports - Naples, FL, comes to mind.

Regarding S1 fusions, I believe they typically do include pelvic fixation these days. Linda Racine would know better, but that's my impression.

Cheers,
                          Evelyn
                          age 48

Comment

Working...
                          X