Iyengar Yoga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iyengar Yoga

Does anyone have experience with Iyengar Yoga? I've just started classes with a certified Yogi and would love to hear what others may be doing and what their experience has been ...

From the NIH:

"A regimen of Iyengar Yoga combined with movement reeducation based on perceptual and motor development from Body-Mind Centering and The Feldenkrais Method may be very useful in reducing pain and improving the well-being and functional abilities in idiopathic scoliosis regardless of age."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2938654/

Mamamax! good to see you again. I'm in contact with an IY teacher of your country who had a big curve. I have sent you a PM.

Comment

Thank you, good to see you too! Tell me more of the Yogi ) Mine is 82 years old, though one would never think so. He's actually touted as "America's Yogi," Not by himself or through his advertising, but by others and word of mouth - wonder if he is the same man you are in touch with?

I'm just beginning classes with him but even after the first session I could feel a therapeutic difference in the way I was standing and moving throughout the day. Following the first lesson, the next morning my legs were so sore that I felt I had walked for miles (my back felt great). Shocked me really, as the asanas felt very low impact while doing them. I have a new respect for Yoga as an exercise!

Comment

Hi all,

Just wanted to add I found Iyengar Yoga to be really, really helpful for helping with alignment and relieving pain. If you haven't checked her out already, you might want to look for http://www.ebmyoga.com Elyse Browning Miller. She has a video "Yoga for Scoliosis" (you can purchase on Amazon) and she trains under the Iyengars in India.

Good luck!
        Surgery Jan 6, 2014 at 38 yrs
        Posterior Fusion T10-L4, osteotomy 1 lev.
        Pre op-Thoracolumbar Curve-50 degrees

Comment

Thank you for that Spring, that's been my personal observation from the start too. Do you still practice? Unfortunately video instruction just doesn't work well for me. Guess I need a more guided method till I feel confident with the asanas. My class has a pre lesson session consisting an interactive lecture/meditation hour that proves an interesting addition to the Yoga hour as well.

I have a boxed set of Browning's videos that I purchased a few years ago. Will be happy to gift them to anyone who would like them, just send me a PM.

Comment

I've done it for a couple of years before going on a different program for my back. I also have Browning-Miller's DVD, but found it extremely basic, too basic. Still, it's pretty impressive that she is quite fit with what I understand are moderate to severe curves that she claims to have contained/reduced.
            I think if you were to do a yoga discipline with scoliosis, Iyengar is definitely the one to do, but with caveats. First of all you have to know your particular body very well and team up with an instructor who has knowledge of your specific problem. It's good for building core strength - glutes, abs, etc and stretching muscles that need to be stretched. But it can also have a destabilizing effect (the twist poses, various arch poses, extreme side bends). I've stopped doing it now in favor of a different approach.

Comment

Agree with you Mashkine. Caveats always with any exercise not specific to scoliosis and individual curves. Destabilization is probably my greatest fear. I took my time finding what I believe will be a very good teacher for me and who is experienced with scoliosis. Very important to be in safe hands regarding any exercise.

Somewhat familiar with Schroth, I came across the info on Yoga movements thought to be contraindicated for scoliosis some time back. Interesting though that some Yoga students (with scoliosis) do them without ill effect. Maybe skill level has something to do with it? My personal opinion is that they should not be done at a beginning level. All that said, as a beginner, I'm amazed at what a powerful exercise Yoga can be. Taking it slow and steady and will probably look into private lessons as well. Did you combine meditation with your Yoga? The group I'm in does and I'm enjoying that too.

Comment

No, I was never into meditation. I like the relaxation techniques yoga teachers use, with visualizing the relaxation in different parts of the body. But I've had a bad experience before with meditation in a group of strangers, so I've avoided it ever since and even 'om'-ing made me uncomfortable. It's great that you enjoy it though.

Comment

Sorry you had a bad experience with that. I used to meditate in my 20's for a time and have been away from it for decades! Everything depends on the right teacher I guess. I think the time I spent researching the teachers in the area was time well spent. He does close with chanting, inviting others to join in. An interesting experience so far. What do you do to manage things these days? At this stage of the game, at 64, I guess attention for me needs to be paid to bone density. Some studies suggest that Yoga can improve that. Hope so in my case.

http://www.sciatica.org/downloads/Yo...PilotStudy.pdf
                  Last edited by mamamax; 04-06-2014, 08:23 PM.

Comment

As a beginner it's hard to watch others in a group class who breeze through asanas while I'm taking baby steps. I was feeling a little sorry for myself, I confess. Then I came across a video of a young woman who teaches. Sharing her vid and story. So proud for her, and inspired ...

http://youtu.be/ouVZedOCNW0

Comment

Working...
                    X