Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fell down the stairs - 2 years post-op. It was terrifying.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fell down the stairs - 2 years post-op. It was terrifying.

Hi all,

My two year post-revision appointment is today, and I am very nervous about it. I took a terrifying fall on Saturday morning. The cat was asking to be let out early in the morning. I wasn't quite awake yet, and got up in bare feet to go downstairs and let him out. (note to self--must get a cat door installed!). My foot slid/slipped over the top step of a flight of 8 hardwood stairs, and I crashed onto my back and slid down the entire flight of steps bumping down all the way on my sacrum and fusion. My elbows are skinned and bruised, and I feel a deep pain over my ischial tuberosity (butt bone) on the right. Luckily there's plenty of padding there. My husband heard the crash and helped me get back to bed, where I iced my painful lower back all morning Saturday. I would have gone to urgent care for x-rays except I already, coincidentally, had my two year check up scheduled for today, so it seemed pointless to get x-rays done any earlier.

I am very banged up, but a little less sore each day. I still have some lower back pain but I am hoping against hope it is just muscular/soft tissue. My upper back and neck feel jarred and strained, but I know that is muscular because there is no hardware above T8. I will feel much better after hopefully being cleared by my surgeon. I am so mad at myself that this happened. I have never fallen down a flight of stairs in my life!

Please keep your fingers crossed for me today that all is well, and I will post this afternoon after I return from the appointment. Susan, I am so sorry but I will have to give you a raincheck for lunch.
    Last edited by leahdragonfly; 01-28-2014, 09:10 AM.
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Oh Gayle I am so sorry to hear this!

You are two years out from revision. I bet your fusion is intact.

Good luck at the appointment. I hope it's no bad news.

Best regards,
    Sharon
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Praying all is good!
      Tamena
      Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Thinking about you and hoping all went well today. Keep us posted.
        Tamena

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

I am sorry to hear about your fall. I blacked out last year when I was dehydrated with the flu and fell and hit my head, but fortunately my back was okay. I hope your x-rays showed today that everything is fine with your back.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Hi all,

I had x-rays today and saw Dr Hart and he told me everything looks good on the x-rays! I am so relieved. He said he can see bone growth inside the anterior cages, and that he doesn't think I could break the fused portion of my back now. I am feeling less bruised and sore today, too, quicker than I expected. Dr Hart said good thing I fell down the stairs two days before my appointment, and not 2 days after, since he would definitely want to see me and take x-rays after any serious fall like this.

Dr Hart told me to go out and have a nice life, and come see him in 2 years unless something comes up sooner. I am finally going to try and relax instead of worrying and waiting for the other shoe to drop. It has been a long haul getting a new back, but overall I am thrilled with my outcome.
            Gayle, age 50
            Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
            Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
            Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
            2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
            2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Great to hear! What a good visit to lift all the what ifs that come up during recovery. I know I walk on egg shells scared of messing something up.

Tamena

Braced till age 15

Comment

Great news! I was waiting to see if you would post tonite.

I am so glad you caught this break. It must be hell dealing with this for decades. Life is so unfair.

Best regards,

Sharon
                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
                  I am finally going to try and relax instead of worrying and waiting for the other shoe to drop. It has been a long haul getting a new back, but overall I am thrilled with my outcome.
                  Gail, there comes a point where you have to stop worrying.....I know I’m done with it.

I’m 6 years post tomorrow......I hardly think about it anymore even if it was a max stress situation.

It simply fades away.....

With that crash that you took, you just passed the acid test. It reminds me of camping in the Redwoods years ago and tripping and face planting over a large rock in the dark at 10 months post. (no flashlight and really dumb) I thought I was done......but it all held expect for my ego and my bloody shins. Walking those soft pine needle trails was like being in heaven....for physical and mental therapy, it doesn’t get much better. I guess that knowing smile just became a permanent fixture on my face at that point. I knew I was fused. A graduation process.

Congratulations!

Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I was so happy to read your report from your appointment. I was thinking the same thing . . . that if you had to fall, it was good that it was before your appointment. You have to feel so relieved!
                    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                    Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Age-60 at the time of surgery
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

WOW Gayle you sure tested the fusion didn't you.....I can just imagine what was going through your mind after making it this far. So glad everything turned out to be OK on the x-ray, and I think it's safe to say, you are kinda indestructible now, that part must feel great. I hope you rest up and feel better soon. You are an inspiration
                      Spring
                      42 yrs old
                      Milwaukee braced 1983 to 1989
                      was told my curves would never progress
                      at 19yrs old 1991, T30-L38
                      2010, T38-L56--progression in one year 2011, T40-L67
                      new diagnosis-kyphoscoliosis, DDD, Arthritis, Osteoporosis, 73 degree Kyphosis
                      Surgery 1-09-12....10 hrs all posterior T4-sacrum & 2 cages
                      Dr. Lenke-St. Louis Mo.
                      Surgery to clean out infection 2-10-12
                      Revision for broken rods 1-23-14

Comment

Gayle,
                        So glad to hear that your fusion is OK after such a terrible fall. Such scary stuff even without spine surgery. Take care and try not to do that again.
                        Sally
                        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Oooh it was hard reading that. I winced with every step. But what great news, that after everything you've been through your surgeon doesn't want to see you for 2 years. You must be happy (despite the bruising.)
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Oh, Gayle! I have been off of the forum for a few days and saw your post. At first, when i Saw the title, I thought that you were responding to someone else's post! Then, I read about your fall! So glad that you are OK.

Re: cat doors, my son's cat has a special collar thar allows only her into the door. Good way to keep other cats and raccoons out! Invest in one!

There must be something in the air as I fell tonight, but not anywhere nearly as far as you did. I was coming inside and it was dark and I could not see the steps in front of the house and fell UP the step smashing my wrist and knees into the steps and donating a little bit of A+ blood in front of the house. Fortunately, all of the neighbor kids were inside as my expletive was not appropriate for young ears. My upper back and shoulder hurt, but hopefully tomorrow will be better. I fell in our duplex in Portland, so maybe there is bad karma around in Oregon!

Again, congratulations on a great visit! Love the comment about have a good life! I know that you are relieved. I was up at OHSU twice this week doing pool therapy.

Lunch will await you when you are more relaxed and we can talk. Maybe 1/2 way between your house and mine? I would love to get to know you better and I have always found your attitude refreshing!

Again, so glad that all is in place and that your bruises are healing. Keep in touch, Susan
                            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Working...
                            X