Sudden body jolt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sudden body jolt?

For the last 2 nights, I have had a sudden jolt, like an electrical jolt, that suddenly goes through my body. It seems to go from my legs up through my spine. It happened so fast that i don't know if i am correct about the route/path of the jolt. It happens very quickly! One night ago when it first happened, it really scared me, but I figured that it was a once event. But it happened again tonight. I was just sitting in the chair.

Has this happened to anyone else?
    Susan
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Hi Susan,

This sounds like what nerves do as they regenerate. I rarely get anything like this anymore (once in a blue moon), but I used to get occasional lightning bolts like that in random places in my back. One time I was talking to my boss and got one that caused an uncontrollable sort of painful shiver. He asked me if I was that cold and I had to explain it was my back. He looked very concerned……

I hope that is all it is. Your body will do such strange things as it heals over time. It's really hard not to let it prey on your mind, but try not to worry too much.
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Hi Susan,

I haven't been on the Forum lately but checked in to see this post. YES, I had these happen and they made me yell! Eventually I was prescribed 5 mg of Valium to take at night for them because they'd happen soon after I got into bed and they freaked me out so much I'd lie awake for hours waiting for the next one. I was told it was a symptom of healing/regenerating nerves and tissues. Very disconcerting. The jolts stopped after a couple of months. The Valium was a big help, but if I had to do it over again I think I'd try a muscle relaxer first...after a month or so the Valium dragged me down emotionally.
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Me too

This has happened to me also. At first it happened in my back while I was at work. Really freaked out the people I was talking to, until I told them it was nerves regenerating. Now it happens to my right leg when I am in bed.

Comment

Working...
        X