No announcement yet.

almost 2 years post op...both rods are broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello! I have made it through once again. Surgery took 5 hrs, all went smoothly. When they got in they found 2 more areas of non-union, so it had failed at L3-L4-L5 and S1. I had constant pain in that area ever since the original surgery.I got to keep the old hardware, it is really neat to see and feel it. This is certainly no walk in the park but it is not even close to being as bad as the original fusion. I should be going home tomorrow, still having some pain control issues but only during the night. I have to wear a brace this time for 3 months which I hate already.The pain I had prior to this surgery for the past 5 weeks from the broken rods is completely GONE! I stand straight up again, I am so happy and thankful for that. All the pain I have now is all surgical pain. I gained 10 lbs before surgery from inactivity, hopefully I lose that quickly, my appetite is poor due to indigestion/heartburn...not sure why that is. No more I V's today...one step closer to home. Thank you for all of your well wishes!! Take care
    Spring
    42 yrs old
    Milwaukee braced 1983 to 1989
    was told my curves would never progress
    at 19yrs old 1991, T30-L38
    2010, T38-L56--progression in one year 2011, T40-L67
    new diagnosis-kyphoscoliosis, DDD, Arthritis, Osteoporosis, 73 degree Kyphosis
    Surgery 1-09-12....10 hrs all posterior T4-sacrum & 2 cages
    Dr. Lenke-St. Louis Mo.
    Surgery to clean out infection 2-10-12
    Revision for broken rods 1-23-14

Comment

Dear Spring,

That is wonderful news!! You sound great already. I am thrilled to hear the broken rod pain is all gone.

Thanks for updating us so soon. I hope you will get to go home tomorrow--your own bed will feel great.

Take care,
      Gayle, age 50
      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Originally posted by Spring72 View Post
        When they got in they found 2 more areas of non-union, so it had failed at L3-L4-L5 and S1.
        Yikes x 3! Those are hard levels to fuse.....

Try to take it easy for now.....Healing thoughts

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Glad to hear your doing well! Prayers for a speedy recovery!
          Tamena
          Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Thanks so much for posting. I've been thinking about you and so happy to hear that everything went well. I hope you feel a little better each day as you recover from this surgery. I bet you are happy to be standing straight again and with less pain!
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Great news. I hope you have a pain free recovery.
              Sally
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Great news! Hope all goes well for you from here on.

PS, I had indigestion for the first time in hospital after surgery. I was eventually diagnosed with gall stones. Had them out and the really bad pain has gone, but still get indigestion occasionally. I lived nearly 58 years before I had indigestion the first time, I feel it had something to do with my surgery, not a coincidence.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I am happy for you!
                  I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                  45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                  A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Yeay!!!

Ho Spring,
                    Just want to say how glad I am you're through this. I also had indigestion after my revision surgery. I also had my gallbladder removed about two months later. I know it sounds weird, but I have heard gall bladder problems go together with spinal surgery. You are going to do great now. You must be so relieved of that horrible pain you had before the surgery. I know you'll have pain for a while, but everyday will hopefully get better. So stay in touch and I'm so glad you got through this and are on your way to recovery. Sincerely, Linda
                    Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
                    Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
                    This started adult onset scoliosis
                    July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
                    Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
                    Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
                    May 30th 2013 revision
                    May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
                    May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Sounds like it's a good thing I had my gallbladder removed when I was 26! Indigestion is much less now, appetite is down (that is just fine with me). I'm very miserable in this brace, it is making my incision extra sore, didn't have one first time around. An extra precaution I guess. Staples come out 2/05....only have 48 this time! Maybe the brace won't bother me so much. Thanks for the welcome back! (catch my pun)?
                      Spring
                      42 yrs old
                      Dr. Lenke-St. Louis Mo.

Comment

Staples? I didn't think the docs used them for this surgery anymore. I don't think I could've handled having them removed.

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Great news Spring, it sounds like you are doing really well.

Tamena, staples are still widely used. I had them after my first surgery but not the second. For me they did not hurt being taken out. It felt great to be rid of them afterward.

Keep up the good work Spring, and take it easy. Several short walks each day and keep those bowels moving.
                          Gayle, age 50
                          Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                          Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                          Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                          2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                          2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Originally posted by tae_tap View Post
                            Staples? I didn't think the docs used them for this surgery anymore.
                            I had them with both surgeries from two different surgeons in different states. I was unaware that it wasn't common practice. My boyfriend says they look like a zipper
                            Spring
                            42 yrs old
                            Dr. Lenke-St. Louis Mo.

Comment

I didn't have them with either of mine and with the second surgery I had glue. That was different from the first. But the zipper sounds like a little bling, are you sure you want them gone? Hehe!

Braced till age 15

Comment

Originally posted by tae_tap View Post
                                That was different from the first. But the zipper sounds like a little bling, are you sure you want them gone? Hehe!
                                ha ha! Ya know if they weren't so darn irritating I probably would...just have a lil zipper pull tattoo added to the top
                                Spring
                                42 yrs old
                                Dr. Lenke-St. Louis Mo.

Comment

Working...
                                X